Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    While it's true that Alienwares are overpriced you also have to consider that it's hard to upgrade a Laptop should one of the components prove to be a bottle-neck. When purchasing a Gaming Laptop you shouldn't just think of now, but also the future if you still want to be playing 2 years from now.

A Geforce 520M for example might suffice now, but won't 2 years from now.

Another thing to note that some others have mentioned is the screens resolution. For best picture quality you always want to play in the native resolution.

The question is though when and how will you be playing?

Under 15" is generally 1360x720 while over 15" is 1600x900. Around 17" you start getting your full HD screens boasting 1920x1080p.

Why does this matter? Because it's increasing your GPU requirements by 250%. A Geforce 520M might do great at 720p but will have major issues pushing 1080p.

Some people even like to hook up external monitors with bigger screens. If you do that you have to make sure your Laptops GPU can support its native resolution.

What it essentially boils down to the higher your resolution, the more powerful your GPU should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...146&CatId=4935 This is a nice ASUS laptop $1300 has the nicest i7 cpu Nvidia 460m etc take a look. The nice thing about the ASUS laptops is they do not get hot as a lot of other laptops do. The REALLY REALLY nice feature about ASUS is it also comes with a special warranty at no additional cost to you. If the laptop gets damaged accidentally in the first YEAR, if you drop it, spill coffee on it, accidentally run it over with your car etc etc they will replace it for you no charge. They also take care of the shipping costs both ways, no cost to you at all. That is a awesome warranty in my opinion and would be a major purchase decision. Alienware has a standard one year warranty as well, tech support etc all the same, but I do not know of another warranty that you do not even have to pay for that will replace the whole laptop because you destroyed it. Just another option for you to consider, one that I would consider a major item to think about. Good luck in your purchase decision! Either way you are going to have a nice laptop
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...146&CatId=4935 This is a nice ASUS laptop $1300 has the nicest i7 cpu Nvidia 460m etc take a look. The nice thing about the ASUS laptops is they do not get hot as a lot of other laptops do. The REALLY REALLY nice feature about ASUS is it also comes with a special warranty at no additional cost to you. If the laptop gets damaged accidentally in the first YEAR, if you drop it, spill coffee on it, accidentally run it over with your car etc etc they will replace it for you no charge. They also take care of the shipping costs both ways, no cost to you at all. That is a awesome warranty in my opinion and would be a major purchase decision. Alienware has a standard one year warranty as well, tech support etc all the same, but I do not know of another warranty that you do not even have to pay for that will replace the whole laptop because you destroyed it. Just another option for you to consider, one that I would consider a major item to think about. Good luck in your purchase decision! Either way you are going to have a nice laptop
    That's what's called insurance, not a warranty. Since by definition warranties protect against the unit failing during normal use. It's also not something that comes with the unit bought as is. It's offered, in this case, by Tiger Direct, and costs more. And from the looks of it, you have to get the most expensive option to get the insurance... which makes sense. I mean they are pretty much saying you can be a retard with your laptop and still get it replaced.

---------- Post added 2011-07-09 at 06:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brusco86 View Post
    May i suggest one thing other than an alienware. Alienware's are good and all, but as mentioned are a little bit more buck than bang. If i was going to buy a laptop i would most certainly go with a Sager NP8130. The link is here from Xoticpc.com. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-...wconfigure=yes. Xoticpc has great reviews and ratings and is a great website to buy from.
    I would also agree going here. Or another Sager/Asus/MSI reseller. But when it comes to gaming laptops, unless you MUST have the Alienware "look" (This is what you pay so much extra for, for the most part), those companies will typically trounce Alienware any day. Sager especially, Alienware doesn't even offer laptops that can match some of Sager's high end models.
    Last edited by ispano; 2011-07-09 at 06:12 AM.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    ASUS notebooks automatically comes with a standard one year warranty ( normal stuff tech stuff that is faulty etc and is ASUSs fault ) It also comes with the one year accidental damage warranty as well. The accidental damage one is the one that covers if you accidentally destroy it or it gets killed by a power surge etc. Both of these automatically come with the laptop from ASUS directly not from Tiger Direct. Tiger Direct offers additional coverage themselves, but the warranties mentioned above automatically come with the laptop from ASUS driectly. http://completewarranty.asus.com/Con...S/ADP/ADP.aspx
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

You still call it a warranty.... ADP isn't a warranty, it's insurance, there's a reason I make the distinction. Yes it comes with some models, but it's not a warranty. It's also one time only. Good to have of course, but should rarely be used, at least by people who take care of their stuff.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I understand the difference I sell insurance for a living and it is real late here, or should I say early lol. Either way you have to admit, that really is a huge selling point along with their other customer services they offer and free shipping etc. No one else offers all the stuff they do for free. The main reason I mention all this stuff is because everyone knows it absolutely sucks SOOO bad after you spend a few grand on something and when you need help, RMA, or need service they are absolutely horrid and you can not get anything resolved and you end up with a 9 pound paperweight. ASUS overall are great laptops with a great cooling system as well. I think I am starting to ramble lol but you get my point.

Quote:
    ASUS notebook computers are developed utilizing advanced technology with user-friendly design in mind. ASUS is strongly aware that the best way to gain the confidence of the customers is to constantly challenge ourselves. Enhancing high quality assurance and customer trust has always been ASUS' foremost goal. We want you know that we are completely dedicated to your total product satisfaction.

To notebook users, we know accidents are unavoidable, and the costs associated with them can really add up. Whether you drop your ASUS notebook computer or spill coffee on your notebook keyboard, you’re now covered. And you will always enjoy the convenience of assistance 24/7* from ASUS technical representatives. And rest-assured your product will be up and running quickly.

ASUS currently provides the best notebook product warranty in the industry – ASUS 360 with “20224” protection**, including 2-year global warranty, zero bright dot (ZBD) guarantee for LCD display, free two-way standard overnight shipping for repair, 24 hours tech support. Now, ASUS is leading the industry again to provide ASUS notebook users with one year Accidental Damage Warranty (ADW) Program free of charge**, if your ASUS notebook computer is purchased on or after Sept. 10, 2007.

http://adw.asus.com/content/adp/default.aspx

The only reason I press the issue is i've worked at a large electronics retailer, in returns no less. We'd get people "spoiled" by having one of those "warranties" and they expected ALL warranties covered accidental damage, which they do not. Had one lady who thought it covered what looked like a golf ball sized impact point on a 60ish inch TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    WII Golf with real golf balls!!! lol