Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Music] Johnny Cash .. HURT..Best Music Video of All Time

Johnny Cash has allways been one of my Hero's here in Australia
    Such an awesome tribute from the BRITISH Music Magazine

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt has been named the best music video of all time.
    British music magazine NME named the clip, which was released in 2002 and featured the late country singer performing the song on acoustic guitar, at the top of its list of the 100 best music videos.
    NME said: "The montage of shots of Cash served a poignant purpose at the time; after Johnny's death seven months later it became even more powerful. A fitting audiovisual epitaph."
    Hurt was originally released on the 1994 Nine Inch Nails album The Downward Spiral.
    Other songs which made the top 10 include Radiohead's Just, Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, Foo Fighters' Everlong and The Prodigy's controversial Smack My Bitch Up.
    Check out the full list here.
    NME's Top 10 music videos of all time:
    1. Hurt - Johnny Cash
    2. Just - Radiohead
    3. Wicked Game - Chris Isaak
    4. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
    5. All Is Full Of Love - Bjork
    6. Everlong - Foo Fighters
    7. Buddy Holly - Weezer
    8. Sabotage - Beastie Boys
    9. Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa - Sigur Ros
    10. Smack My Bitch Up - The Prodigy

He does the song so well you'd think it was the original and NiN did the cover song instead of the other way around.

Deleted
    Everything Johnny Cash has been in is excellent. Everything.

wow they have black hole sun as 4th best video? i mean the song is good no doubt, but the video? cmon this cant be a serious list.

Quote Originally Posted by nhomizz View Post
    wow they have black hole sun as 4th best video? i mean the song is good no doubt, but the video? cmon this cant be a serious list.
    The video isn't good?

What the...? Even compared to other videos on that list. I mean, come on, the only reason wicked game got to 3rd is because it has boobies. It is nothing original. At least BHS has a original video.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol, i could think of two bands off the top of my head that are better then some of those..

Any of Tools videos.. and a few Metallica videos..

10+ Year Old Account
    How does that list have neither "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Thriller" on it? I love Johnny Cash and most of the other bands on there but if you don't mention either of those two videos then it completely removes all credibility from the list.

Metallica - The day that never comes isnt on that list? that was a very powerful video clip imo, i really do like HURT tho, listen to it a lot still

Wicked Game is an amazing video, it's probably the most sexually charged thing I've ever experienced that isn't actual sex

also keep in mind that the NME (while it pretends to be an indie publication) is a mainstream music magazine and also that what constitutes a 'good music video' is all subjective. Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham have provided some amazing visual art for music videos, and Romain Gavras video for Born Free by MIA last year was incredible.
    Last edited by crabmousse; 2011-07-06 at 03:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tought Johnny Cash did this song origionally O.o.

Just went and lsitened to Nince Inch Nail's one, and I would of swearing that Johnny Cash done the origional.

even Nine Inch Nails themselves admit Cash really made Hurt his own, Trent Reznor said 'I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore...'

I share this on my facebook every week

Anything by Mark Romanek, Michel Gondry, Jonathan Glazer, Chris Cunningham, and Spike Jonze can be considered great music videos. Check out the Palm Pictures "Work of Director' series of dvd's. They are excellent.

My personal favorite video of all time is 'Street Spirit' by Jonathan Glazer for the Radiohead song. But I'd have to say either 'The Perfect Drug' or 'Closer' by Mark Romanek for the NIN songs are probably the best of all time. I love the 'Hurt' video though.

Deleted
    Such an amazing song

That was depressing. Johnny Cash is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    How does that list have neither "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Thriller" on it? I love Johnny Cash and most of the other bands on there but if you don't mention either of those two videos then it completely removes all credibility from the list.
    Michael Jackson was not only the king of pop, but also the king of 1980s music videos. As you mention, Thriller is a masterpiece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    even Nine Inch Nails themselves admit Cash really made Hurt his own, Trent Reznor said 'I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore...'
    Funny. Kris Kristofferson said the same thing a long time ago. Something along the lines of, "Once Johnny does your song, it isn't yours anymore. It's his."

Deleted
    Amazing song, gives me goosebumps evertime i hear it. What a legend of a man..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Funny. Kris Kristofferson said the same thing a long time ago. Something along the lines of, "Once Johnny does your song, it isn't yours anymore. It's his."
    To be honest, that's what a cover is all about imo. Make the song into your own.

Though imo this is one of Nine Inch Nails best songs. Has such an emotion that you can just cry for nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big thumbs up for The Man in Black. I can't help but think though that there result would have been different if Glen Campbell had made a video for "Wichita Lineman".