Broke Alt key, What does it even do?

Okay so i broke the alt key on my keyboard while i was cleaning it. not sure exactly what i did but both alt keys do not work now

So my question is as in the title, Was does the Alt key even do? The real only thing i actually used it for was the Alt / Tab thing to go from 1 application to another if had multiple up

Deleted
    Uhm, control alt delete, alt tabbing, modifier key for certain applications. (and for hotkeys in wow for example) Other than that.. I can't really think of anything.

Deleted
    Its for Alternate keys (Hence alt)

When holding alt it modifies keys so they do something different. For example: On a Swedish keyboard you can hold Alt+4 to make the $ sign.
    Also while holding alt, and pressing combination of numbers, you can refer to the character map and "type" symbols or letters not on the keyboard. For example: Alt+132=ä, Alt+156=£.

If you don't use it a lot then it won't be missed. But sometimes it can be very useful if you use keys not set to the keyboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Were you cleaning with a screwdriver? :S

Are you sure the key won't slot back on? (most do unless you've broken the seating)

Alt is a modifer, it's used for shortcuts / hotkeys

Depending on how old the keyboard is, you might be able to take it back for a replacement, the key's shouldn't come off during cleaning, unless as I said above, you're using a screwdriver or something similar to clean between the keys.

No i got a knife, poped off all of the keys, putt them in water, got a cup of hot water poured it inside of the keyboard, started to scrub it down with a cloth and putt them back on, It does not matter its a crap keyboard anyways, came with my Prebuilt dell years back, Its just i grown used to it, Is there anyway to change my Alt key settings to a different key i never use? Like for instance, the F12 key or something?

Also, Considering it is probably water damaged (still strange how only the Alt key is the one not working) Can this cause Any PC problems that it is connected to it or no?

Deleted
    a cup of hot water poured it inside of the keyboard
    What on earth

idk figured it would be a good idea, There were little rubber coating where the actual push to trigger the key was so it looked like it was water protected, All i know is that i encountered a new error where whenever i typed "t" it came out as "tb" so i would 'tbype like tbhis'

I just went ahead and putt it to the side, Maybe if i let it dry for the next few days it will work, If the alt key is still broken ill just ditch it

Deleted
    It's a pretty good key. I have no idea what it does but sometimes I like to pretend that tapping it in the correct sequence will reveal covernment secrets about UFOs to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    No i got a knife, poped off all of the keys, putt them in water, got a cup of hot water poured it inside of the keyboard, started to scrub it down with a cloth and putt them back on, It does not matter its a crap keyboard anyways, came with my Prebuilt dell years back, Its just i grown used to it, Is there anyway to change my Alt key settings to a different key i never use? Like for instance, the F12 key or something?

Also, Considering it is probably water damaged (still strange how only the Alt key is the one not working) Can this cause Any PC problems that it is connected to it or no?
    I can't tell .. are you being sarcastic? I sure hope so....

Deleted
    got a cup of hot water poured it inside of the keyboard
    Yet you come here and ask us why it stopped working.

The uses my alt (Left alt) has been for Alt-tab and ctr+alt+del, else I only use it for binds ingame. So breaking it won't be such a trouble.

Anyway, if you feel like "Damn, I lost my ctr+alt+del combo", don't fear. Ctrl+shift+esc does the same *Atleast in Windows 7*

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Yet you come here and ask us why it stopped working.
    No he did not. Read the topic before saying something. He asked what functions more then alt+tab the alt key had for a PC. Not why it broke.
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

I use my alt-key all the time. :x Alt+numpad 11000 = ° for instance. There's easier combinations (since it's just a repeating of the same 256 or so over and over again, but these stick. :P)

I have not once asked why it stopped working, Simply asking what does it do and if there is a way to change the The key to something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's not insanely hot, he cleaned it just fine. I regularly take off my keys and run it through the dishwasher. (Obviously, I let it dry entirely before plugging it in. I slap it in a huge bag of those moisture packet things from shoes and shit and let it sit overnight.)

As far as rebinding it, if you have a shit keyboard, probably not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have not once asked why it stopped working, Simply asking what does it do and if there is a way to change the The key to something else.
    in short: No there is no easy way to re-map it to another key.
    in long: Sure you can rewrite the driver software for your keyboard and redefine the alt mapping there. Or you can re-wire your keyboard (with a PCB pen or something similar)

Okay so i broke the alt key on my keyboard while i was cleaning it. not sure exactly what i did but both alt keys do not work now
    I guess that wasn't a question lol.

I recall there being a way to remap the key in Windows.

PS. I wouldn't be using tap water to soak electronics and you better be damned sure it's 100% dry before powering it back up again.

Yea that was more in the lines of a, I know i broke it just not sure if it was the water or from removing the key, But yea like i said, I encountered a new problem where whenever i typed in T it came out as "tb", So obviously something was going whacky inside of the board so i just decided to toss it, This keyboard i use now sucks imo , They keys are flat and just to close together, whereas my other keyboard keys were decently spread out and had a bit height in it

But the keyboard needed some serious cleaning, After i removed all the keys i had about two handfuls worth of crumbs from nearly every type of snack / junk food imaginable, And a ton of sticky gooyness.