View Poll Results: Spanking child? Discipline or abuse?

Voters
696. This poll is closed
  • Discipline

549 78.88%
  • Abuse

112 16.09%
  • Not sure/decided

35 5.03%
Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    I think it was more about the age then it was the actual spanking. Kids these days need that spanking at a certain age, trying to talk it over doesn't work and sending them to a psychiatrist just makes them more rebelious, and even then the psychiatrist eventually blames the parents making the kid more snotty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DionLight7 View Post
    No it doesn't. Knowing what is going to happen to you when you do things like that again and NOT doing it seems like good discipline to me.

Actually...wait. How old are you and how many kids do you have?
    Agreed. I don't like saying this, but the carebears are people who either have no children and don't know WTF they are preaching about or have chidren and are terrible parents with undisciplined and spoilt children.

Children need discipline. Try talking to a misbehaving kid every time he/she misbehaves and see the respect your child will have for you, go ahead.

Fucked up society. Discipline for your child : 5 years probation ! Neglect of your child to the point of death : get off scott free. Bollocks.

There is no way you can possibly justify spanking on a 2 year old. It literally serves no benefit what so ever. It's literally child abuse.

I think the punishment is excessive, but I cannot believe people are justifying spanking a 2 year old.

Next thing you know, parents will be going to jail for yelling at their kids and these same people saying that spanking is "abuse" will be crying that yelling at their kids to discipline them is abuse too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not sure i know anyone who was spanked as a child and i, including my friends all have great respect for our parents. I dont think not spanking is the reason for the mass production of retards im sure this woman who gets angry at a 2yr old has so many flaws in her parenting if it were a tangible structure it would fall over from the lightest breeze. Sure young kids can be fucking annoying and can leave you tired and cranky but if you are unable to do anything bar resort to physical confrontation with a child who has yet to or only just started realising the consequences of their actions then your to blame. I can see the reason for spanking an 10sh year old kid, tho i wouldnt condone it , they actually have the capacity to learn from the situation where-as it would just go over the top of a 2yr olds head.

Quote Originally Posted by DionLight7 View Post
    No it doesn't. Knowing what is going to happen to you when you do things like that again and NOT doing it seems like good discipline to me.

Actually...wait. How old are you and how many kids do you have?
    Good discipline? If i do X one of my parents is going to physically strike me with intent to cause me physical pain? You think that is good discipline? I fear for your children I really do. They clearly have the capacity to mentally outwit their parents and will pay the price.

The is a difference between hitting your kids with love, in which case they usually know why they got hit. And hitting for pure enjoyment/drunken state/hatred/<insert negative connotation here>

And in which case kids should never be hit harder than a light slap/smack. Its called discipline and a its the lack of it that causes all these dumb kids doing stupid things nowadays >.<

And yes hitting a 2 year old is child abuse.

Alright. My parents were old school. But you know what? I got spanked. If I did some dumb shit, I got my ass whooped. You know what? I turned out decent. Joined the military, and am looking at landing my e-5 soon. Spanking works, otherwise, no one would have ever done it to begin with. The fact that the child is 2? Ever heard the saying Terrible Twos? I've watched parents who don't spank their kids, and its ridiculous. The kids pretty much run their parents. When I was younger, (5 or 6), I listened to my parents. Its not like she drew blood. She swatted the kids ass. Guess what? Most kids nowadays are assholes. Our society has turned into a bunch of whiny liberals, who jail people for something that isn't even their business. Disciplining your children, as long as they aren't hurt, isn't for the courts to rule on. The purpose of a spanking isn't to hurt the child, because guess what? It may sting for a minute, but it goes away. Its to injure their pride and distill the image of right and wrong into them. yes, some parents take it too far, but would you rather the kid be bruised or would you rather they grow up to be a doucher because you spared the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    It's a fairly new mentality that spanking kids is somehow child abuse. As far as I remember even in the old Rugrats show spanking or talk of spanking was mentioned. When I was a kid the threat of belts was there I was always good though so..

Anyway we're far too sensitive these days. People are trying more and more to deny that we are animals and animals have instincts. Someone tries to harass your friend, you kick their ass.. er you talk it out and ask them to say sorry or you'll be issuing a lawsuit.

I'm not even saying I'd win any fights, I'm far from "tough" but spanking isn't domestic violence, it's a very controlled way of discipline that like anything else people can and do take too far.

As was said earlier.. kids who never have to deal with hardships will just grow up to be spoiled. Even experiencing anything emotional in childrens programming has been taken out. We used to have shows that openly mentioned parents divorcing, arguing, orphans, immigrants, bullying, love, hate.. all in one show (Hey Arnold )

These days kids shows are literally screaming animals, food puns and pet farts (Chowder).
    Hey Arnold, the good old days when children shows actually had story.

Offtopic:
    I remember a line from the movie Mrs. Doubtfire, not verbatim, but Robin Williams says to the producer of the network, "don't patronize children, don't give them shit (again, not verbatim) and expect they'll like it. Give them good content that even we would like."

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    This is fucking retarded.

She did not bruise her daughter, she didn't injure her at all, she didn't use anything but her hand. Children can and will be out of control and sometimes the simplest way to discipline is a slap on the ass. It does not traumatize them, it teaches them who's in charge, because honestly, that's what kids these days do not seem to realize and that's why we see stories like the 14 year old stabbing the mother in Australia.
    Its you who is the retard. Your basically admiting that a 2 year old baby has the mental power to outwit you and your only means to control them is by physically striking them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nekrot View Post
    but would you rather the kid be bruised or would you rather they grow up to be a doucher because you spared the rod.
    there are disciplinary actions outside of physical violence.

Deleted
    Some kids need a good smack on the ass.
    No. Spanking and all forms of physical punishment are so last century.
    If you have to resort to that kind of "argument" to teach anything to your child, you're a totaly lame parent, period.
    And before you ask, I have a 3 years old kid.

I'm pro smacking of kids for disciplinary reasons. I got smacked as a child, never did it again when I got smacked for it.

Kids these days are just too free to do whatever they want and it is showing in society, they are alot more rude to pretty much everyone and the bastards are roaming around thinking they own the joint because parents don't want to get tough on their kids because of how sensitive society is today.

Quit using a silver spoon and starting being more tough on kids for screwing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 420rogue View Post
    rawrrrr, i decided to make a new toon and now i can't get into the game....
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyth View Post
    this is the dumbest person i have ever seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have children so i really don't know if i agree with spanking a child or not, i guess i will find out some day, the only thing i can say is that my mom spanked me a few times when i was a child. Well im an adult now, have a perfectly normal life (besides playing wow for 5 years :P), never had to see a shrink and have a great relationship with my mom, so yeah its way over the top, and if the child wasn't injured i dont see the big deal.
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

I might be reading too much into this, but considering it was the grandmother who reported it, and she already has the custody of the three kids, while the mother is fighting to regain that custody, I would say it was a deliberate move to discredit the mother. There is something seriously wrong with a grandomother who reports (probably) the wife of her son and the mother of her grandchildren for a spanking. In my opionion the judge was stupid to play into it.

2 years old is probably a little young to spank a child to the extend of leaving red marks. Simply swatting a young child in the back-side is usually enough to make them "feel hurt" and get the point across that what they are doing is not okay. Causing actual pain is not the point when it comes to disciplining a young child.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemos View Post
    Hitting kids means you can not even compete with them using words, so u're retarded or u're just a monkey.

In any way hitting kids means your an idiot.
    What do words get you? could you compete with me by telling me to do something and expect me to do it, does it make you retarded or a monkey if I don't do it? when I get a kid, I'll smack it on the arse when I see fit, because it's my kid, I made it and I spent money on it, it's me raising it so if my kid is a little cunty for 16 years, it's me suffering and having to deal with it, so if I decide to smack his or her arse then I will.

What damage does a smack on the arse do? is it enough to kill them? how many minutes does it take for them to get over it, a few? I got smacked on the arse when I was young and guess what, I'm still here and so is my arse and the pain is long gone, so again what harm did it do?

Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    Good discipline? If i do X one of my parents is going to physically strike me with intent to cause me physical pain? You think that is good discipline? I fear for your children I really do. They clearly have the capacity to mentally outwit their parents and will pay the price.
    You're confused. The intent is to not repeat the same situation through physical pain. That in itself is good discipline. Also your assumption that children have a higher mentality than their parents for using spanking is absurd and stubborn. The idea is that if you cause chaos and continue to do so when told not to or told to stop then sooner or later physical pain is imminent. As others have said, I have also seen people who are some unruly motherfuckers and their parents have the look of bewilderment.

So I'll ask you like I asked another poster. How old are you and do you have any kids?

What a load of crap. Some children need a smack for them to learn what they've done wrong.

The people in this thread saying it's child abuse to spank your child obviously don't know what it's like to be a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by nekrot View Post
    Alright. My parents were old school. But you know what? I got spanked. If I did some dumb shit, I got my ass whooped. You know what? I turned out decent. Joined the military, and am looking at landing my e-5 soon. Spanking works, otherwise, no one would have ever done it to begin with. The fact that the child is 2? Ever heard the saying Terrible Twos? I've watched parents who don't spank their kids, and its ridiculous. The kids pretty much run their parents. When I was younger, (5 or 6), I listened to my parents. Its not like she drew blood. She swatted the kids ass. Guess what? Most kids nowadays are assholes. Our society has turned into a bunch of whiny liberals, who jail people for something that isn't even their business. Disciplining your children, as long as they aren't hurt, isn't for the courts to rule on. The purpose of a spanking isn't to hurt the child, because guess what? It may sting for a minute, but it goes away. Its to injure their pride and distill the image of right and wrong into them. yes, some parents take it too far, but would you rather the kid be bruised or would you rather they grow up to be a doucher because you spared the rod.
    People like you make me sick. Brainless morons like you should not be allowed to reproduce.

Im guessing for example you would think its fine for a 300lb man to deliberately inflict physical pain on a 2-year-old child. Its bullying, its abuse and your an idiot.

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-07-08 at 01:17 PM.