Deleted

Unable to find bootmgr?

So, I just came home from a LAN, where we tried to OC my CPU (successfully, although at first we set it a bit too high so we had to hard reset the BIOS) and decided to clean up in my computer by re-wiring all the cables - it looked like shit before.
    BUT, when we were done with all of that, and had re-connected everything, and tried to start up my computer again, something weird happened.
    It could no longer boot, when I tried to start up it first went through all of the usual screens (press del / F12 and all of that) it tried to boot, and a message popped up saying it couldn't find "boot mgr".
    First, we tried to reset it, didn't work.
    Then, we put in a Win7 Ultimate 64bit, and it could boot through the disc. Now, it doesn't boot through the disc per se, but it uses the disc to find the boot mgr, and then boot through my SSD.
    When we got the system up and running, we first tried startup repair, didn't help. Then, we tried a system restore, about 4 days prior to this.
    Nothing worked, and as it is right now, it's not really bothering me, because as long as I have the disc in when I start the computer, it runs like usual. But I'd still like to get this fixed, so - got any ideas?

(We searched for bootmgr in Windows -> Boot, and I have all the bootmgr.??? files there)

Go into BIOS and make sure Sata Connection Mode (or whatever it is called in your BIOS) is set to AHCI and not to IDE.
    If that is not the problem, make sure the boot priority is set in the right order

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you have your BIOS set properly and the correct SATA connections made start up using the Windows 7 disk. Enter the repair utility. Rather than using start up repair use advanced options. From the advanced options open the command prompt. In the command prompt type /fixboot and /fixmbr, select the proper windows installation when asked, and select yes when asked. Restart the computer and you should be back in business.

If that doesn't work come back and we can walk you though other options.

Deleted
    Is it still running in it's overclocked state?
    Is it an AMD system?
    Have you overclocked the NorthBridge Frequency?
    If any of these things, reset the settings to default.
    I had this very issue once when I overclocked the NB Freq too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Go into BIOS and make sure Sata Connection Mode (or whatever it is called in your BIOS) is set to AHCI and not to IDE.
    If that is not the problem, make sure the boot priority is set in the right order
    That's very likely the issue, had the same problem after I received a motherboard back from an RMA and switching the controller mode from IDE to AHCI fixed it.

Deleted
    Fixed it, followed Asmekiels advice - thanks to everyone else as well though ^^

When you install Windows and more than one drive is preset, it has an odd tendency to place boot files on a different drive than you'd think. Hell, I installed with a USB flash drive once, it threw boot files on that thing, and wouldn't boot by itself without that drive plugged in.

Likely when you redid the cabling you changed what was plugged in where.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Fixed it, followed Asmekiels advice - thanks to everyone else as well though ^^
    Yea, I should follow my advice also. I updated my BIOS and forgot to set it back to RAID mode -_-
    Lost 150GB of music and 300GB of movies by that