10+ Year Old Account

reinstalling windows..help?

so here is long story short currently i have a 32 bit on my computer (validated and everything) but i have lost both the cds and the code when i moved out my old place. my friend suggested i download this legit installer (from a university) for a 64 bit windows 7 since he could not find a 32 bit installer. now i am stuck, i dont know if my computer even has a 64-bit processor and how will i get Microsoft to give/find me my old code and will this code for a 32 bit windows work a 64 bit that i am not even sure would work on my PC...

so in short:
    1) how do i know what kind of processor i have.
    2) will the code that validated my 32 bit also validate my 64 bit?
    3) do you have any suggestions as to what to do?

i really need to reinstall this windows because this computer really needs to be cleaned from the ground up.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. start, run, dxdiag
    2. no
    3. If your original installation is valid and working, you could try calling microsoft and see if they will send you replacement discs.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    1. start, run, dxdiag
    2. no
    3. If your original installation is valid and working, you could try calling microsoft and see if they will send you replacement discs.
    they do that?!

lol gonna go call right now
    wow finding their number is proving to be a difficult task.
    Last edited by Toho; 2011-07-08 at 08:58 PM.

All Intel and AMD CPUs manufactured in last 7-8 years have supported 64bit Windows, that's probably not going to be a problem.

There are tools available if you google for "windows cd key recovery" that might be able to fish the CD key out of the installation. Last time I checked it out I couldn't find anything that works in Win7, best tools were only able to backup your registration and activation codes crypted so that you can overwrite those after doing full install, but it's uncertain if it works from 32bit to 64bit.

Try calling Microsoft and ask if they can get the key for you somehow.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    they do that?!

lol gonna go call right now
    Well, they'll probably charge you, but they 'might' be able to validate your license. I doubt it very highly that it will work, but hey, it's something to try.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

If all else fails and you just need to spring for a new OS...

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/office/default.aspx

L
    ook at the bottom of the page, Win 7 Professional Edition, Upgrade only it looks like though . Only $29.99 assuming you are a student (you did mention a university). Good luck, and hope you have a full copy of XP or god forbid Vista laying around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    2. no
    Full retail version of Win7 comes with two DVD's, one for 32bit files and one for 64bit files, but only single CD key code. Same code works for both versions, so it might work for whatever version OP has got too.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    For retrieving product keys / licenses I use ProducKey by Nirisoft . I have used it to retrieve Windows 7 licenses. Majority of the time after I reinstall and use the recovered license I have to activate via the automated phone prompt but it beats purchasing another license.

Also your license will work for 32 or 64 bit. As a heads up the only reason you would go to a 64 bit installation is if you plan to utilize more than 3.25GB's of RAM.

Yarr! Get yerr windows from the bay.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok called them and I'm getting the replacement CD's

woot!

but i did have to pay like 45$ and i hope they include the validation key or else they are useless.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    ok called them and I'm getting the replacement CD's

woot!

but i did have to pay like 45$ and i hope they include the validation key or else they are useless.
    In my experience it is the disks with no licenses attached. Use the program I linked and retrieve you license.