15+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Hard drive suddenly can't be detected

yeah, my other rig, not too long ago, simply froze up on me while i was playing NBA2k11.

i shut the computer off, reboot. it does everything normally, then after the last loading screen, it goes black, then i get a HARDDISK FAILURE INSERT BOOT DISC error.

so i put my boot disc in and it loads, but when it loads, it gives me an error like this: 'selected disk does not exist. command: chain loader (hd0,0)+1'

i tried everything. resetting the BIOS, running in safe mode (i was able to return to windows one time in safe mode), running onboard only, i tried taking the CMOS battery out of the MOBO, switching the drive to the secondary port. i can't reinstall windows or format anything, because apparently the hard drive doesn't exist.

anyone know anything about this problem and if it's personally fixable? or am i SOL and need to purchase a brand new hard drive?

the drive i'm using is a SATA and i run XP.

i'm leaning with.. need to purchase a new hard drive.
    Last edited by msdos; 2011-07-09 at 01:38 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not super versed in the world of HDDs - but I can say, it sounds like your HDD is dead.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Double check that the cable hasn't just come loose, which happens allot of you have pets or just twitchy feet.