Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Anti-virus and Anti-Malware

Alright, First off, what is the best anti-virus/malware/adware/spyware setup you can get? Eset Nod32 and Malwarebytes? Also, I heard that Malwarebytes is free but on the website it says its 24.99$

Thanks

Malwayrebytes is free, Its just theire Scan / removal tools are what is free, they have a real time protection and other stuff in it that requires a sub.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    and would the real-time protection interfere with Eset Nod32 at all? or do they run together with no problems?

Eset Nod32 is actually very overrated and performing rather poorly.

According to multiple tests over last 2-3 years F-Secure and Norton Internet Security (2009 and newer) are best paid AV products for average home users. Both offer sane default settings, stay neatly on the background and are light-weight enough for any modern computer. Kaspersky gives same protection, but it's been always getting reduced score for user-unfriendliness which makes it less good again for average home users but might be more interesting for power users because of better configurability for tweakers.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Microsoft security essentials is pretty awesome for a free anti-virus
    If I could separate me from myself, I'd stay away from me..

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    Malwayrebytes is free, Its just theire Scan / removal tools are what is free, they have a real time protection and other stuff in it that requires a sub.
    I just updated my free Malwayrebytes and it now offers me real time protection, don't know what you get for paying now.

Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    I just updated my free Malwayrebytes and it now offers me real time protection, don't know what you get for paying now.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    A list of differences for all to view

Doesn't state that the free version gets real-time protection, are you sure it's not a x-day trial kinda thing that automatically got activated?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    A list of differences for all to view

Doesn't state that the free version gets real-time protection, are you sure it's not a x-day trial kinda thing that automatically got activated?
    Yeah, must be.
    I just updated it now it sits in my task-bar blocking threats.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    VIRUS protection is completely useless. if you monitor the sites you go to and the things you click on and only download torrents with high seeders and leachers from trusted people you will be fine. honestly if you get something you cant get rid of without protection the protection won't help because it would either bypass it or infect the protection itself. not to mention the load it puts on your machine when running even if not in a scan.

What about sites that you trust (this one) can have infected adverts or anything else potentially.
    Still useless then?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Norton, lightweight? This is news to me. If that's just in reference to paid, maybe i can agree.
    Welcome to 2011... Actually, welcome to 2009.

Norton did suck back in 2007-ish when they got reputation of being resource hog, but since 2009 version NIS has been actually one of the best commercial AV products and constantly in top5 of every reputable comparison.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

'AVG antivirus FREE Edition' and 'Spybot Search & Destroy'

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-free-antivirus
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

both are free.
    Azeroth and Kalimdor and Northrend and Outland

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    What about sites that you trust (this one) can have infected adverts or anything else potentially.
    Still useless then?
    don't click em?

Quote Originally Posted by Krunsh View Post
    VIRUS protection is completely useless. if you monitor the sites you go to and the things you click on and only download torrents with high seeders and leachers from trusted people you will be fine.
    don't click em?
    Ever heard of XSS exploits that exploded 5 years ago, or the security holes in Adobe PDF and Flash plugins?

None of those are security threats you can avoid by watching what links you click, and all of those are problems that good realtime scanners will catch, except for zero-day vulnerabilities. Before XSS and browser plugins you might've had a case of not getting viruses with safe browsing, but it's simply not true anymore.
    Trolling should be.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Welcome to 2011... Actually, welcome to 2009.

Norton did suck back in 2007-ish when they got reputation of being resource hog, but since 2009 version NIS has been actually one of the best commercial AV products and constantly in top5 of every reputable comparison.
    don't forget about the notron conspiracy. they infected you so they could make it look like it was working and get better rated.

---------- Post added 2011-07-09 at 08:01 AM ----------

Ever heard of XSS exploits that exploded 5 years ago, or the security holes in Adobe PDF and Flash plugins?

None of those are security threats you can avoid by watching what links you click, and all of those are problems that good realtime scanners will catch, except for zero-day vulnerabilities. Before XSS and browser plugins you might've had a case of not getting viruses with safe browsing, but it's simply not true anymore.
    yes i can see that, but it still isn't that huge of an issue. honestly i havent been infected in 3 years. and 3 years ago i downloaded a program for what i cant remeber but i didnt use common sense. and i live on the internet.

don't forget about the notron conspiracy. they infected you so they could make it look like it was working and get better rated.
    Highlighted the important word for you there.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer MalwareBytes and Microsoft Security Essentials... I was very impressed that Microsoft had a solid, and free, anti-virus program when it picked up a couple of them after I installed it on my old PC.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Highlighted the important word for you there.
    lol yeah i was making joke. i still believe it though.

don't click em?
    Erm, really?

You really don't understand the internet do you.

MSE is best. and free.