Thread: [TV] Torchwood

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

[TV] Torchwood

So after seeing commercials for the new Torchwood series on STARZ and im really enjoying it. Im thinking about watching the other 3 seasons. Anyone else been following this show. The first 3 seasons worth anything? And no iv never watched doctor who and really not interested in it.

I've been following it more or less from the start, so it's hard for me to say exactly what you need to see. But as far as I can tell from other fans, season 3 (the one called Children Of Earth) is an excellent place to begin. The whole show changed in a few pretty big ways after season 2 and, unless you're a super-massive geek/Doctor Who fan, I see no reason to watch the two first seasons.

So yeah, I'd suggest starting with season 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love alot of BBC shows and am liking Miracle Day so far on Starz. Never watched the original series but if I see it come back on I will certainly give it a watch.

Agreed the only thing that gets me is the one lady's teeth

Ending it is all I fucking think about, that's the shit I think about
    All alone, bawling 'til my mothafuckin' eyes bleed

I'm in the same boat as you, started on the 4th, got intrigued and went back for the old seasons. I've never seen a Dr. Who in my life.
    The first two seasons were a lot lower budget and more a "villain of the week "cheesy scifi show, but I liked it. Campy as it was, the characters were all charming as hell and it was a fun watch. Season 3 is a five episode mini-series and gets a bit more serious.

If you like Torchwood then you will love Dr. Who. Start from season 1... yes the picture isn't good, but it is fantastic. (Dr. who fans see what i did there)

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Is it anything like the first 3 seasons? I quite enjoyed them, even with Jack's love of the cock coming in at random times.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Britian should stick to rioting. That's all they're good at.

Infracted. Ignore this.
    Last edited by Elysia; 2011-08-16 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    Is it anything like the first 3 seasons? I quite enjoyed them, even with Jack's love of the cock coming in at random times.
    It is more family friendly then Torchwood, but same level of campy sci-fi. I would start with the 2005 series and continue till the most recent before diving back into the classic series. Some of the Doctor Who mythos might fly over your head, but they did a pretty good job of having it appeal to both long time Who fans and people who had never seen an episode at all.

Oh, and it is Doctor Who, never Dr. Who.

I started watching during season 2, and I agree that before season 3, it was more like a Doctor Who type show. That being said i don't care much for Doctor Who, but i would absolutely recommend watching the rest of Torchwood.

You can skip the first 2 seasons and watch the 3rd season without missing anything, as they made some pretty drastic changes in the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    It is more family friendly then Torchwood, but same level of campy sci-fi. I would start with the 2005 series and continue till the most recent before diving back into the classic series. Some of the Doctor Who mythos might fly over your head, but they did a pretty good job of having it appeal to both long time Who fans and people who had never seen an episode at all. Oh, and it is Doctor Who, never Dr. Who.
    I was talking about Torchwood lol, I've already seen every Doctor Who there is to see

Deleted
    so if im reading this right

Torchword
    Series 1 - Avoid like the plague if your not a Dr Who Fan
    Series 2 - runaway up some stairs like your being chased by the original darleks
    Series 3 - Massive changes, mini series format worth watching
    Series 4 - Just keeps on getting better
    Series 5 - Miricle day (what where on now) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    so if im reading this right

Torchword
    Series 1 - Avoid like the plague if your not a Dr Who Fan
    Series 2 - runaway up some stairs like your being chased by the original darleks
    Series 3 - Massive changes, mini series format worth watching
    Series 4 - Just keeps on getting better
    Series 5 - Miricle day (what where on now) ?
    uh, no, there are only 4 seasons actually

Deleted
    cool, so im only missing out on one series worth watching then ^.^

Haven't seen 3 or 4 yet, and I just finished (and loved) series 1 & 2.

[TV] Torchwood

Hello!

I am just curious what American's make of our British TV Show Torchwood which they moved over to America for this series. Every single person I have spoken to in England is devastated by what they've done to it. It used to be a quirky, amusing and slightly tongue in cheek Dr. Who spin off that had Aliens, geeky alien weaponry and the odd mystery as well as a running story, but with different "alien" bad guys each week.

Since they moved it out to the US this series it seems to have tried to become "cool" adding CIA agents, large scale explosions, car chases etc.

Needless to say its not anywhere near the same show as it was in previous series and the American market / John Barrowman seem to have had a massive effect. Also Cpt Jack's "sexuality" was subtly shown rather than full on gay sex scenes.

So Americans,

Do you like it or was it a total waste of a good program?

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

It doesn't have the same feel as the original BBC series. It is much too serious and considerably darker than the original. It lacks the humorous moments from the original three series and has lost the DW universe feel. The Rift and the Hub are no more, because of the explosion and from Big Bang 2 (RTD just accepted what Moffat did and went with it from what I understand). Am I really to believe that the only alien tech that wasn't destroyed is the contact lenses? We didn't see an alien in Miracle Day until we were half way thru the series. Why did the show have to take place in the USA? Sure by putting it in the States, you can use the CIA. What ever happened to UNIT? The show has gotten much darker than ever before and has become even more adult in nature. I am crediting this to the fact that STARZ is a premium channel and they can get away with these themes. The sex scenes are a bit much and only add more controversy to a very controversial character.

I don't think it is a waste of a good show, because I still find it interesting and exciting to watch. It does not meet my expectations of what Torchwood should be. I am still wondering how they are going to wrap the entire series up in 1 episode.

I watched all of the Torchwood episodes available on Netflix (up through "Children of Earth") after I finished Doctor Who, but I haven't seen any of the new stuff. If what the two of you say is true, I will be disappointed, because the sci-fi with a comedy twist is one of the main reasons I am drawn to the two shows.

Deleted
    I did love the original torchwood apart from the occasional "what is this crap" episode, i'm british myself but wow.. They have really killed what potential it had

10+ Year Old Account
    I was ok with the changes at first. Sure, it isnt as much fun as the first 3 seasons, but they were going for the slow burn kind of series and I was ok untill they totally ignored plot points from the first few episodes and changed the rules mid season. In the beginning they set up some rules for what the miracle caused. It did not matter what happened to someone, they would continue to live and function. They even showed the body of a soldier who was totally charred and dismembered and his eyes still opened followed people even after they severed the spinal column and a women who had her neck broke was able to stand and run after them. Then all of a sudden anyone who would normally be killed just went brain dead. They also made a point of telling the CIA guy who got a pole through his chest that he would never heal, that all injuries were now permanent and a few episodes later he talks about how he is healing... That is just piss poor writing.