View Poll Results: Do you have confidence in America's Scientific Future?

Voters
157. This poll is closed
  • Yes, we'll get our act together!

31 19.75%
  • Nope, too late, China, the EU, and others are overtaking us!

63 40.13%
  • Depends on the actions of future Presidents and Congresses.

52 33.12%
  • Depends on whether or not parents raise their kids to value education.

62 39.49%
  • Scientific Progress doesn't guarantee a nation's success, rather Fear of the Lord does.

9 5.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunak View Post
    Russia's space program budget is ~3 billion dollars, NASA's is 18.3 billion, we still care way more about science than pretty much any other country out there.
    Maybe true but in Russia, you could hire 10 scientists for the money that 1 scientist takes in the US. Also stuff just costs less there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter4774 View Post
    With the shuttle on its last flight, and having to rely on the Russians to get to the ISS, plus the recent proposal to cancel the Hubble Space Telescope's successor, I don't have a good feeling about the future of American scientific dominance. Even more importantly, look at our test scores in math and science compared to other countries. Add to that so many of our "leaders" in DC (mostly Republicans) that think the universe is 6k y/o and that polluting this planet doesn't matter, and you have potential legislation that doesn't really care about or understand the importance of basic research to improving our country. (Case in point: Bush blocking stem cell research for 8 years based on zygote metaphysics, which imo was a bigger crime than the wars he started.) What are your thoughts and feelings? Can you imagine a dystopian future where only one of the 1000s of creation myths (the right one, duh!!!!!) is taught in public school biology class? Or will reason triumph in the end? Will the republican war on science be a major contributing factor to America going the way of the Romans?

alot of high up republicans are aware of science, are very aware of the truth about religion and are very smart - however the people that vote for them arent, so they have to maintain the "christian"/"faith" nonsense yo get elected, there are right wingers in europe who are friendly with the GOP and rupert murdochs right wing empire, that are openly atheist, americas right wing is behind the curve

Quote Originally Posted by Tunak View Post
    If you think we're in any danger of being put out of the space race you're crazy.
    Sorry, but it has already happened. China & Russia are the new overlords of space.

Both countries have the advantage of not having to deal with religious nutjobs that the US is full of... that can be only good for science. The rest of Europe is also (mostly) free of chains of religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter4774 View Post
    With the shuttle on its last flight, and having to rely on the Russians to get to the ISS, plus the recent proposal to cancel the Hubble Space Telescope's successor, I don't have a good feeling about the future of American scientific dominance. Even more importantly, look at our test scores in math and science compared to other countries. Add to that so many of our "leaders" in DC (mostly Republicans) that think the universe is 6k y/o and that polluting this planet doesn't matter, and you have potential legislation that doesn't really care about or understand the importance of basic research to improving our country. (Case in point: Bush blocking stem cell research for 8 years based on zygote metaphysics, which imo was a bigger crime than the wars he started.) What are your thoughts and feelings? Can you imagine a dystopian future where only one of the 1000s of creation myths (the right one, duh!!!!!) is taught in public school biology class? Or will reason triumph in the end? Will the republican war on science be a major contributing factor to America going the way of the Romans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Americas scientific future does hold promise, and many new things will come about but just because the space program is coming to an end doesn't mean scientific advancement for the whole world does.

Deleted
    Shuttle was a terrible spaceship. Costs too much and too complicated and couldnt remain in low orbit longer than 30 days. it sucks. id bet my money on elon musk

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with your entire post 100%.. What people in this country, hell this world value, is disgusting.. Millions of dollars to a baseball player!.. Not the guy that goes to the moon.. But the one who sings about the moon, we'll give him millions too! What gets coverage in the news? Watching Casey Anthony get way with murder, Who's banging out who, and why it's "wrong".. "Oh look a 10th presidential candidate for 2012!" But we'll give 5 minutes to the Space Shuttle Program that we're shutting down...
    I had a high desire to see atleast one launch in person since I was.. Hell 8 years old? I live in Michigan, so it's not as easy as driving a few miles.. And now I'll never get to see that, made me really sad.. Seriously.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Yes, China, with its billion plus people living in abject poverty, is going to overtake us somehow in the science department. It's nice to see that mindless anti-Americanism is still alive and well. Nobody has any sort of empirical evidence to indicate America is slipping; it's just already a given.

The end to the NASA Space Shuttle program does not indicate anything other than the end of the NASA Space Shuttle program. NASA is still performing research. It's likely that US government investment in space will shift to the military over the years, which makes sense, as it has a greater vested interest in space over the long-term and the capability to absorb and justify significant hard research costs.

The Space Shuttle program was over twenty years old and burning lots of money for little gain. The uproar over its cancellation is nothing more than nostalgic sentimentalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Options 3 and 4. 40 years ago we put the first man on the moon, what have we done since? If we had kept up with the tech development we'd be on mars by now.
    You don't have an incentive anymore. Back then the incentive was the cold war, a big cockfight (no I'm not talking about the animal, take it literally) between two opposing ideologies. NASA doesn't get enough funding because people aren't interested. They can't do miracles if they don't have the money.

America is pretty much causing another dark age for itself. It's going to be like the old crusades where if you try to fight the world of God, or Government, they'll kill you and burn you at the stake as a heretic. That or just shoot you and pardon themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

I'd just like to say that privatising space flight is probably a step in the right direction considering how they can act and raise funds much quicker than govt. controlled agencies. much less bureaucracy to bypass.
    Kolopotho: I will find it incredibly shocking and rare if some guy walks up to a girl in a pub and says "i play a level 80 druid in world of warcraft" to which she will respond with "TAKE ME NOW".

This thread isn't about who's better at science right now, so don't start earning infractions.

((Yes, I know one of the poll options leads that way, but bickering over nationalities won't be tolerated))

Deleted
    America is pretty much causing another dark age for itself. It's going to be like the old crusades where if you try to fight the world of God, or Government, they'll kill you and burn you at the stake as a heretic. That or just shoot you and pardon themselves.
    The Dark Ages weren't like that.

You do realize that demographics is slowly wiping out the fundamentalist religious groups that you're so eager to lambaste? American culture is fast becoming far more open-minded, liberal, and secular by the day. Seriously, this country is not filled with nearly as many whackos as you seem to want to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Options 3 and 4. 40 years ago we put the first man on the moon, what have we done since? If we had kept up with the tech development we'd be on mars by now.
    And what's the point? Oh great, we stepped on Mars!! Woo! There is no point. We are nowhere near the capabilities for planetary colonization, so why waste our time and money stepping on the planet when we'll be able to do nothing else there?

Might as well develop tech further.

i honestly think were going to see a rise in innovation/inteligence with the coming generations. becuse the media is giving more time to the smart people like bill gates or steve jobs etc. over all the little starlets, sports player, rapers/rockers. due to that the public is gonna go "hey i can make a shit ton of money if im smart like these guys!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    And what's the point? Oh great, we stepped on Mars!! Woo! There is no point.
    Besides that being the greatest achievement in the history of life as a whole, as far as we know, you mean?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Discipline priests we heard you like shields that heal, so we put shield in your shield so you can heal while you heal.
    For the first half of geological time our ancestors were bacteria. Most creatures still are bacteria, and each one of our trillions of cells is a colony of bacteria.
    Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    Might as well develop tech further.
    Do you know where the tech for microchips, GPS/satellites in general etc. came from? From the space/moon race. Don't think for a second there couldn't come any practical tech to everyday life as a byproduct from a mission to mars.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2011-07-10 at 05:35 PM.

Stepping on Mars actually is very important. We've recently discovered so much about the planet and its potential for having water, which although does not advance our life on Earth it does firmly establish that operations can be made on that planet in the future (maybe not permanent colonization, but at least a facility of some sort).

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I just...I just had to quote it, if not for the win, but for truth.