Thread: expertise...

expertise...

so, got new shoulders of pvp season 10 and it gives expertise........

is there any expertise cap in melee pvp?
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on class.. what's your class?

warrior-------
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

I wouldn't say there's a cap. Expertise does do something, but it's not generally a well-desired PvP stat. Players are going to have some baseline of dodge and possibly parry, which expertise counters. However, your targets can't dodge or parry while casting or when hit from behind, and your overpower can't be dodged or parried anyway.

A little bit of expertise isn't a completely wasted stat, but I think I'd still make that my first priority to reforge out of, especially as a warrior.

Deleted
    Reforge to expertise untill you have atleast 20 expertise, if you need more depends if you focus is 2v2 (I recommed keep reforging exp), bgs (20, then crit) or 3v3 (depends on setup).

Quote Originally Posted by Maples View Post
    Reforge to expertise untill you have atleast 20 expertise, if you need more depends if you focus is 2v2 (I recommed keep reforging exp), bgs (20, then crit) or 3v3 (depends on setup).
    I agree with this. It also depends on your race (weapon bonuses for Orc, Human, Dwarf). I can't even tell you the number of times my Warrior has raged over having his Throwdown parried even with like 22 expertise. It's ridiculous.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you dont want colossal smash to get dodged, yo
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Deleted
    21 Is the cap if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypocrisy View Post
    21 to avoid parry and dodge on which classes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by treann View Post
    21 to avoid parry and dodge on which classes?
    21 is the cap on a Warrior I believe.

but don't agility users (bar hunters) have huge amounts of dodge? I know my druid has like almost 30%, there could be no way you could get enough expertise to cover that.

Or do you only need the amount to counter same level difference? Like 26 is needed for level 88 bosses for dodge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    but don't agility users (bar hunters) have huge amounts of dodge? I know my druid has like almost 30%, there could be no way you could get enough expertise to cover that.

Or do you only need the amount to counter same level difference? Like 26 is needed for level 88 bosses for dodge.
    I believe you need to overcome that extra dodge/parry chance with more Expertise, which probably isn't feasible.

And remember that Strength gives Parry rating just like how Agility gives Dodge rating.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

so to be perfectly honest, unless you can cover 25%+ dodge and 10%+ parry there's not much point in going for expertise since you should try to hit things from behind or while stunned.

Deleted
    Get 20 expertise and youll be happy. It gives a much bigger DPS boost than like 2% extra crit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypocrisy View Post
    This is the soft cap for the 7% parry/dodge. But you need insane number (44 or something) to make sure all your thrown downs don't get dodged by ferals/rogues or parried by warriors/dks. So you should decide what you want to do, get more then 20 expertise or get some more crit. My preference lays with the second option, since I use thrown down mostly on a healer/after charge or from behind.

Deleted
    there is no cap against an enemy melle class, either they are agi based and you can only prevent a parry or they are stre based and you can only prevent a dodge. this is due to how stre gives parry rating now.

Last season the soft cap is considered 20-21.

Really it's a matter of comp and personal preference though, some like more expertise, some like crit.

Personally having a TD/CS/MS dodges/parried can be painful, I personally like to stick around the softcap.