3G Signal tools/software

Currently I am on satellite, and simply put I have 7 level 85s 4 of which are full 359 and cannot get anymore possible upgrades outside of raiding. I'm tired of not being able to do anything these days that is not "ezmode".

I have been wondering about getting a 3g aircard to play wow from. I however do not get signal inside my house for cell phones @ all. But just a few feet from the porch I do get signal on my standard, non-smartphone so no 3g as far as I know.

Anyone know anyway to determine if I do in fact get 3g signal close to my house? Any software or other tools out there that I can use with a laptop to determine 3g signal strength? Or am I stuck just getting a card and trying it out?

I am thinking of buying or more likely building a grid antenna to boost any possible signal strength, as well as using an in-line amplifier cabled to a standard usb 3g card/dongle.

Found an interesting article about anntennas and boosting signal.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...-Reception.htm

Deleted
    What stops you from raiding on satellite?

Edit:
    <- 999 Posts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Prixie: Satellite internet has major lag/ping issues, so it's tough to raid if you happen to get a lot of lag.

OP: If you don't get a signal inside your house, you likely won't do well on 3G aircard. Check with local providers to see if they have coverage in your area (you can usually check this on their website). Many of them have a 30 day cancel policy in case it does not work. Ping/lag on 3G tends to be rather high too, but likely not as much as satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post

Edit:
    <- 999 Posts.
    Your post count is just under half my average Peak hours (reads time that normal people raid) latency. Most encounters in this expac are just impossible to perform adequately unless you outgear them by a wide margin with latency that high.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    OP: If you don't get a signal inside your house, you likely won't do well on 3G aircard. Check with local providers to see if they have coverage in your area (you can usually check this on their website). Many of them have a 30 day cancel policy in case it does not work. Ping/lag on 3G tends to be rather high too, but likely not as much as satellite.
    I plan on using an anntena that will be placed outside. I get signal about 3 feet from my front door, but it drops off for some reason as soon as you get on the stoop (Metal roof?). As for latency I am hoping it will at least cut my 1900-2500 latency average during peak hours to @ least 350-400. Plus the plans are about half the cost of what I pay for satellite.

I am not familar with hotspots and how they work/function. I have a router that will support a USB Dongle for 3g. But if a hotspot is any different and allows for me to somehow cheat the limitation of actually having cell signal please do tell.
    Last edited by Playintrafic; 2011-07-10 at 03:56 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Get a 3G hotspot.
    A 3G hotspot will not make the reception any better, just will allow easier connection via wireless devices.

---------- Post added 2011-07-10 at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    I am not familar with hotspots and how they work/function. I have a router that will support a USB Dongle for 3g. But if a hotspot is any different and allows for me to somehow cheat the limitation of actually having cell signal please do tell.
    If you already have a router than will use a 3G dongle, then you don't need a hotspot... because that is just what they are (3G receptor + wireless router in one device). I'd start checking with various 3G providers and see if any of them have successful customers in your area, or start asking your neighbors too.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    or start asking your neighbors too.
    I don't have any of those. Closest "neighbor" is over a mile and a half away. I suppose I could try and see if any of my friends get any 3g signal down here.

I live in an area with no broadband options and am on the edge of Verizon's 3G coverage. What I've done is got a 3G aircard with an external antenna connection, went to 3gstore.com and bought a 32" wilson omni-directional external antenna with the 3-way omni mount, enough cable to run from the antenna to inside my home, a booster for the antenna (make sure to get one with an a/c adapter), and a cable with an end that fits the aircard. I then went to a home improvement store and picked up some antenna mounts and about 12 foot of antenna mast.
    Mounted the mast to the outside of the house, mounted the antenna on top, ran the cable inside to the booster, then the booster to the aircard. Went from maybe getting 1 bar of service to a solid 4 bars. Ping times usually range stick around the 250-300 mark, but its a consistent latency with very little bouncing around so its easy to work around.

Man 200-300 would be no problem. I am used to doing heroics with around 1900, and 1000-1500 is a good day.

If you have little to no reception, you can "try" to see if you can setup an antenna of your own to help receive and redirect the 3G signal into your home. My guess is the equipment isn't going to be cheap, but I believe it can be done, as long as there is signal outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendder View Post
    If you have little to no reception, you can "try" to see if you can setup an antenna of your own to help receive and redirect the 3G signal into your home. My guess is the equipment isn't going to be cheap, but I believe it can be done, as long as there is signal outside.
    Hm, considering I said I will be using an external antenna in the OP. and considering there are a crap ton of websites that sell 3g antennas and related equipment, and considering any antenna that works on the proper wavelength can be used..... I would have to say DUH.

What i want to know as I can't find any information on the subject, is there any way to determine 3g signal strength with like a handheld meter or something. I don't have a 3g device at current.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post

Edit:
    <- 999 Posts.
    Try it and get back to us when you're able to move out of the fire in time - on a sub 1900 ms latency MINIMUM. Not to mention the enormous amount of packet loss when you're on a satellite connection.

It's so easy to bash others when we're sitting in our ivory towers of consumer broadband.

I don't really have a lot of packet loss except during primetime, thats probably why my latency goes up. But I just raid during non peak times.