Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Anything at or below 1.5volt is good. Seeing as RAM overclocks better with lower voltage (unless I misremember) and voltages are creeping down every few generations, the 1.3v has the potential to last longer. No guarantees though.
    But I'm just nitpicking, either is very fine, go with what you're comfortable with.

I'd say, it depends on what you want to do with it.
    Photoshop, gaming in 3D, using Linux - pick the GTX560Ti.
    Anything else, and especially gaming in 3 or more monitors, get the 6950 (2GiB for more monitors than two, 1GiB is fine and cheaper otherwise).
    Not like 'overclocking' the RAM on sandybridge gives a noticeable benefit :P
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Not like 'overclocking' the RAM on sandybridge gives a noticeable benefit :P
    Admittedly. But my only Sandy Bridge is a laptop.

Sandy Bridge is just a trend. It will pass. *waves a hand dismissively*

10+ Year Old Account
    Admittedly. But my only Sandy Bridge is a laptop.

Sandy Bridge is just a trend. It will pass. *waves a hand dismissively*
    All hardware is a trend that passes
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    OCZ have made some horrible PSUs, but so has Corsair (HX1000w springs to mind).
    Basing it on brands is a bad idea, models vary greatly.
    Simple explanation. Corsair's Seasonic-rebrands are great. Many of Corsair's CWT rebrands suck.
    Consult this. Find something by Seasonic. http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-database.html
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-07-10 at 08:27 PM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

15+ Year Old Account
    Lower voltage, lower energy bill, save energy, save the planet. Win win, no?

All hardware is a trend that passes
    My point precisely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Simple explanation. Corsair's Seasonic-rebrands are great. Corsair's CWT rebrands suck.
    Consult this. Find something by Seasonic. http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...-database.html
    Or he could just stay with the very, very good PSU he already chose? Why overcomplicate things? From now on, I'll advice against Corsairs PSUs just because. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Simple explanation. Corsair's Seasonic-rebrands are great. Corsair's CWT rebrands suck.
    A lot of Corsair's CWT's are on par with their Seasonic rebrands.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of Corsair's CWT's are on par with their Seasonic rebrands.
    Yes, its a very grey area.. But on average, you're probably going to be a lot better off choosing a Seasonic over a CWT.
    Maybe I worded my last post poorly
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    Anything at or below 1.5volt is good. Seeing as RAM overclocks better with lower voltage (unless I misremember) and voltages are creeping down every few generations, the 1.3v has the potential to last longer. No guarantees though.
    But I'm just nitpicking, either is very fine, go with what you're comfortable with.

I'd say, it depends on what you want to do with it.
    Photoshop, gaming in 3D, using Linux - pick the GTX560Ti.
    Anything else, and especially gaming in 3 or more monitors, get the 6950 (2GiB for more monitors than two, 1GiB is fine and cheaper otherwise).
    I guess with RAM I'll just pick the cheaper one. Life time guarantee on both anyway. By time it becomes out dated, I guess I'll need a whole new rig anyway.

I only use my PC for gaming and surfing. If I only will use one monitor I guess it doesn't matter which card I get? They are both £160-200, depending on make and weather it's got factory overclock or not. With the 560ti and the 6950 I'd rather get the MSI Twin FrozR card, I love the design too much not to have it. But everywhere I look only stocks the 2GB version. Is the 2GB version of no use to me with only 1 monitor then?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    I guess with RAM I'll just pick the cheaper one. Life time guarantee on both anyway. By time it becomes out dated, I guess I'll need a whole new rig anyway.

I only use my PC for gaming and surfing. If I only will use one monitor I guess it doesn't matter which card I get? They are both £160-200, depending on make and weather it's got factory overclock or not. With the 560ti and the 6950 I'd rather get the MSI Twin FrozR card, I love the design too much not to have it. But everywhere I look only stocks the 2GB version. Is the 2GB version of no use to me with only 1 monitor then?
    It's no worse than the 1GiB-version, but it's not like you'll benefit off of it. If the price is overcomable, I see no reason not to have that one instead.

The TwinFrozrs are great coolers, you can't go wrong.

Deleted
    How are XFX for a GPU brand, anyone?

Since I can get XFX 6950 1GB for £164.99

Where as the MSI cards are;
    MSI Twin FrozR III 6950 Power Edition for £198.83
    MSI Twin FrozR II OC 6950 for £199.99
    (Whats the difference between Power and OC edition - since I see none?)
    MSI Twin FrozR II OC GTX560 Ti for £191.47
    MSI Twin FrozR GTX 560 Ti for £178.99

Is there any difference between all the different types of MSI cards - I see very little if at all difference between some. Could I just buy a MSI 560 Ti and use the MSI afterburner to make it the same as the OC version?

How are XFX for a GPU brand, anyone?

Since I can get XFX 6950 1GB for £164.99

Where as the MSI cards are;
    MSI Twin FrozR III 6950 Power Edition for £198.83
    MSI Twin FrozR II OC 6950 for £199.99
    (Whats the difference between Power and OC edition - since I see none?)
    MSI Twin FrozR II OC GTX560 Ti for £191.47
    MSI Twin FrozR GTX 560 Ti for £178.99

Is there any difference between all the different types of MSI cards - I see very little if at all difference between some. Could I just buy a MSI 560 Ti and use the MSI afterburner to make it the same as the OC version?
    XFX used to be good. I hear they're not as good anymore, though.

Yea, you could just overclock it manually. Between the cards though, TwinFrozr III is better than TwinFrozr II, and I'd rather have the 6950 for the small pricedifference between the 560 and the 6950. But that's me.
    Best of all would be the XFX, if you're happy with not having the TwinFrozr. I personally don't think you would be.
    If you're happy with a product, there's no such thing as overprice. What would you think more likely to be happy about in three months or further down the line - saving the 34USD or having the TwinFrozr? Whatever the answer, it's the correct one.

Deleted
    Well if the Twin FrozR III is better than the II, I will save myself a £1 and get it.

Thanks alot for all the help.

I look forward to building this. Then crying when it doesn't working.

Well if the Twin FrozR III is better than the II, I will save myself a £1 and get it.

If it doesn't work, we'll still be here.
    But if it's your first time, be careful to actually use the motherboard-stands. Trust me on that. :P

10+ Year Old Account

The Twin Frozr II is significantly quieter, but the Twin Frozr III cools a bit better. Overall it's up to you :P

The Twin Frozr II is significantly quieter, but the Twin Frozr III cools a bit better. Overall it's up to you :P
    I've suddenly changed my opinion. :x

10+ Year Old Account
    I've suddenly changed my opinion. :x
    Yeah I had a GTX 460 HAWK with a Twin Frozr II and it was far quieter than my 6970 w/ a Twin Frozr III when ran at even fan speeds

Deleted
    I play with headphones on, so noise doesn't matter for me.

Is there any difference between the Twin FrozR III Power Edition and the Twin FrozR II OC?
    I see nothing, so can't figure why different prices. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I play with headphones on, so noise doesn't matter for me.

Is there any difference between the Twin FrozR III Power Edition and the Twin FrozR II OC?
    I see nothing, so can't figure why different prices. :S
    The Power Edition has a dual bios on the card. Overall that's it pretty much. I believe the Power Edition has a Performance bios switch that gets rid of PowerTune (AMD's new power throttling feature).

Essentially what PowerTune does is when the card's TDP, Current or Temperature go over AMD's specifications it throttles the core clock. This can limit overclocks quite severely and actually can reduce performance when you overclock.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-10 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    The Power Edition has a dual bios on the card. Overall that's it pretty much. I believe the Power Edition has a Performance bios switch that gets rid of PowerTune (AMD's new power throttling feature).
    Humm, I've no idea, what any of that is. Although I guess either card will do me. I'll save my £1 and get the Twin FrozR III Power Edition.