Battery not charging

About a week ago, my laptop went completely on the fritz. It was fine one day, and the next when I went to turn it on, it brought me to a screen prompting me to either start normally. This led me to a blue screen, and cycled back to the prompt screen. The second option was to run a disk repair, which after completing it said it couldn't repair the problem.

I eventually did a system restore to factory settings. Everything is fine, except when I plug in my charger, it doesn't charge my battery. I have it on power saving mode, but even after being plugged in for 2-5 hours, I still can't turn it on without the power cord.

how long have you had the laptop?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite likely your battery has reached "maximum entropy". (IE It physically cannot charge anymore)

Only two fixes here.... If you managed to get a second laptop of the same model try the battery from that one in this one to confirm. otherwise:
    Option 1) Only use it as a desk bound machine, (IE Plugged in all the time)
    Option 2) Fork out for a new battery. (not the cheap £/$/€10 one the proper one from the manufacturer)

10+ Year Old Account
    let the battery die and recharge it that usually how things work. Batteries have "memory" and when you let it die it "resets" the "memory"

It is dead. I can have the laptop plugged in for 2 hours, unplug it and try to turn it on. Nothing.

Prior to the problem, it still had 3-4 hours battery life on Balanced mode, so having it instantly die is a little hard to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    It is dead. I can have the laptop plugged in for 2 hours, unplug it and try to turn it on. Nothing.

Prior to the problem, it still had 3-4 hours battery life on Balanced mode, so having it instantly die is a little hard to believe.
    It's usually a fairly gradual thing, doesn't just happen overnight... and usually as a result of over-charging.