Multi-target dps

How do you personally go about multitarget dps?

I currently keybind every dps ability to both focus and target - along the lines of /cast [@focus] shift; [@target] nomod - but I think this is overly complex - especially when I get into ctrl-shift (focus) and ctrl (target) binds. It also doesn't scale to a fight like beth'liac where there are many medium hp mobs - rather than just two primary large-hp mobs.

I have seen people using @mouseover macros, but I don't trust my mouseover to not shift just as I cast - so I haven't been willing to go that route.

Back in tbc I used to just tab a heap - but that only works when there aren't several thousand spiderlings or other mobs that should be ignored in the area.

Any ideas or personal preferences?

Any mods that I should know about that I don't?

In large groups I just click the nameplates to switch my target, as I am not a fan of mouseovers, either.. I do not like tab, as it never works properly for me when I need it the most, and it is harder for me to keep track of which units I recently placed DoTs on.

For only a few units, I see no reason to have a focus macro for all of your DoTs. You can focus Soul Swap if you want, but dots? Just switch to your focus and apply your DoTs then switch back to the original target.

Back in BoT and BWD for the two target fights I had a /clear focus /focus target macro (or something to that effect) bound to my scroll wheel click, and soul swap was a mouseover macro. I could just target the focus frame and hit soul swap, and the switching around of focus targets was super useful for V&T especially.

And now I just target stuff manually, or maybe set a focus if I'm going to keep going back to something (shannox on normal maybe)

I do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpH-2RigOg

Y
    es it's shameless! Oh well.
    More Dots Warlock Blog

Beta-version spell tool, video guides, and warlock commentary. Help me improve it with your comments and suggestions!

@Manguadi - I will have a look once I get home - no youtube from work :<

@Qtica - Which nameplates do you use? Whenever I attempt to click on my desired target (eg Left Leg / Right Leg on lord rhyo) - I end up targeting a spark or something equally wrong - to the extent where I have F1-5 bound to /target boss1 - /target boss5 (boss2 = left leg, boss3 = right iirc, boss1 = body).
    For general aoe dot spamming that could be an improvement if it was reliable to target what I wanted.

@Penguin - BoT is where I started my habit of shift-binds for focus target - since all the fights were either based around dual-target (dragons, asc council), or close enough to ideally dual target (cho, halfus, sinestra) - but the firelands fights seem to introduce mid-level hp mobs that require corruption spamming for ideal raid dps (spinners, sparks+legs+the other 5 things that spawn) - that I figure there must be ways to improve. I don't really use soulswap unless it is a hard swap (mob is dying) - as I have an obsession with 100% uptime combined with dooms dpct being superior to the dps gain of a gcd + 10-20k damage. But yeah, firelands seems so far on heroic to be more 'spam dots on the right mid-hp mobs' than 'perfect uptime on two bosses'

Deleted
    Before I just had a macro for my last target if it was between two, otherwise I shamelessly tab or click.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Tidy Plates for name plates addon.

For multidoting I got a macro for every dot to nomod cast @ target, mod: cast @ focus and a simple /focus macro bound to mouse wheel right. That works for 2 targets and if there are more I either spam tab or click nameplates(depending on the amount and diversity of mobs).

As of recently I use Shadowed unit frames because their boss frames (those on the right) can be setup to show your debuffs (and others) and omnicc will put timers on those debuffs of easier tracking.

These frames are neat for one more reason, it is because you can use mouseover macros to place dots on them, on regular boss frames (blizards) you cannot do this.

Being a SPriest I have my alt key set up somewhere in the game's options to be the focus cast key. When there are 2 targets, I focus the one that is less important in a fight, proceed to do my normal rotation on my main target and alt+keybind to refresh some dots on the focused target. When there are more than 2 targets, I do more or less what Manguadi suggested.

Deleted
    Manguadi comon stop posting that video in every single thread, it's not even good.

Hey, that's fine, but it's still the way you *should* do it!
    More Dots Warlock Blog

Beta-version spell tool, video guides, and warlock commentary. Help me improve it with your comments and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    @Qtica - Which nameplates do you use? Whenever I attempt to click on my desired target (eg Left Leg / Right Leg on lord rhyo) - I end up targeting a spark or something equally wrong - to the extent where I have F1-5 bound to /target boss1 - /target boss5 (boss2 = left leg, boss3 = right iirc, boss1 = body).
    For general aoe dot spamming that could be an improvement if it was reliable to target what I wanted.
    Well, the legs have a stupid hit box, I think. For boss fights I almost always target a boss via the boss unit frames, I never click a boss on my screen, excluding the first boss in BoT... whatever his name was. All of the drakes/dragons/things-with-wings were not on the boss frame so I just clicked them via nameplates.

In the past I used tidy plates for nameplates. They are pretty and looks are obviously the most important part. But, they worked well. Now, I just use ElvUI (modified version of TukUI - tukui.org) and this has pre-built nameplates that I really like.

DoT spamming allows for improvement of DPS on certain fights. Just make sure whatever you DoT doesn't die in two seconds from cleaves/AoE!