Deleted

DPS as Discipline Priest

IMPORTANT: Let`s forget that discipline is a healing spec and if you want to dps you should become shadow priest.

If I want to DPS as discipline what stats should be priority? What glyphs and talents should you choose?
    Which is better crit or haste? (As mastery only helps in healing)
    If I have glyph of divine accuracy that gives 18% more change to hit with these spells, I can totally ignore hit rating in my gear?
    Should you use anything else in your rotation than PENANCE, HOLY FIRE, SMITE to max your damage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Smite spec 2.0
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

I would say, never use Penance, and stick to just the primary holy fire -> smite spam -> Re-apply holy fire -> repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow dots and mindspike - throw everything u have at it :P

I levelled a 2nd priest for Fun as a Smite Healer and it was practically a God till level 55

Deleted
    Tested my dps in heroic and it was around 8.3k in boss fight, and was second in DPS. I think the healer was little angry and was questioning me being dps. Did more healing than him.

I think I might get 9k dps if I reforge my gear to haste and crit by removing spirit and hit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Glyph of Smite, Glyph of Divine Accuracy.

I would go for haste for faster smites. Try to time your fiend before Bloodlust hits. Use PI when you get trinket procs.

And yes with DA glyph you can completely ignore hit.

I would spec something like this (got some "healing talents" as well, just to utilize the smite spam a bit).

Try keeping both DP and SW:P up, SW below 20% with glyph. Dunno, this is only theory it might eve get some cool numbers. On standard smite healing spec i managed to get 12K DPS during BL on the first boss in Vortex Pinnacle (was in full healing gear except for the trinkes).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    I would spec something like this (got some "healing talents" as well, just to utilize the smite spam a bit).
    You need hit to use shadow word: pain, the ticks do like 1.5k damage. Shadow Word: Death felt kind of useless as it did so low damage (below smite).

For pure dps? go Holy and sub spec into Archangel.

For max DPS it's more complicated then it would appear at first hand and requires you to use PW:S for BT to be applied to both DoTs w/ 100% uptime.

The priority looks a bit like:

(1)HF->Smite till HF DoT is gone
    (2) PW:S-> SW:P -> DP wihen SW:P is about to fall off (Penance->HF after the DoTs into Smites if available [Penance & HF will get BT w/ proper haste])
    (3) Penance
    (4) Smite

Did a post on it a while back, but don't feel like digging through the muck to find it [plus it has outdated math]. Refreshing the DoTs is mana intensive, but is made up for by Rapture. You can burn through mana fast if you're not doing the proper priority. Time PI w/ procs, obviously. Never use AA. Mind Sear for AoE [use BT if you can prep it, but don't go out of your way to use it]. Multi-DoTing can be better [esp. with BT], but it costs too much mana. SW:D when moving.

As you mentioned, it's lackluster. Oh and HST is you're priority stat. Glyphs are Smite, SW:P. Rest are inconsequential.

EDIT: Oh, and spec into TF. You'll need at least enough SPI for hit cap to be sustainable, if not more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskodas View Post
    For pure dps? go Holy and sub spec into Archangel.
    Then I might as well go Shadow. Joined dungeon as DPS spec in DISC, and group was kind of unkillable with two "healers" and my damage was par with others (ofc. they were in lower level gear).

Quote Originally Posted by Tayskasi View Post
    Then I might as well go Shadow. Joined dungeon as DPS spec in DISC, and group was kind of unkillable with two "healers" and my damage was par with others (ofc. they were in lower level gear).
    Cool. When I outgeared people in Wrath, my smite spec did more damage than them too. That doesn't mean anything. His point is valid, your rebuttal is not. Shall I point out why?

IMPORTANT: Let`s forget that discipline is a healing spec and if you want to dps you should become shadow priest.

If I want to DPS as discipline what stats should be priority? What glyphs and talents should you choose?
    He's not suggesting you play Shadow. He's not suggesting Discipline is a healing only spec. He's offering a valid response, that Holy, casting the same spells will do more damage, simply because of Chakra Chastise (a 20% boost), especially when tied into Evangelism. Discipline can only get one damage boost, not both.

But you say that your group's unkillable. Cool. As a Holy Priest, that isn't any different either. It takes 1 GCD to switch to a healing role in either healing spec, but two healing 5-mans "kind of unkillable"? Most 5-mans are already "kind of unkillable" with only one healer, and there isn't a way to justify playing sub-par in either role, like there was in Rift.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Cool. When I outgeared people in Wrath, my smite spec did more damage than them too. That doesn't mean anything. His point is valid, your rebuttal is not. Shall I point out why?
    Why does your reply sound hostile? I was not bragging about my damage. I was just surprised how good the damage is for healing spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    But you say that your group's unkillable. Cool. As a Holy Priest, that isn't any different either. It takes 1 GCD to switch to a healing role in either healing spec, but two healing 5-mans "kind of unkillable"? Most 5-mans are already "kind of unkillable" with only one healer, and there isn't a way to justify playing sub-par in either role, like there was in Rift.
    Most people who have better gear are running ZA / ZG instead of the older heroics. Lot of groups I have come across are in 333 gear or ungemmed, and they do wipe. I could do 15k damage as shadow priest, but if the tank or healer dies my damage matters none. If I run same as DPS Discipline priest doing damage that equals most of people I have come across, I can pretty much guarantee that group does not wipe without actually even trying to heal anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayskasi View Post
    Why does your reply sound hostile? I was not bragging about my damage. I was just surprised how good the damage is for healing spec.
    I solo things as Holy, well as much as I can anyways.

Most people who have better gear are running ZA / ZG instead of the older heroics. Lot of groups I have come across are in 333 gear or ungemmed, and they do wipe. I could do 15k damage as shadow priest, but if the tank or healer dies my damage matters none. If I run same as DPS Discipline priest doing damage that equals most of people I have come across, I can pretty much guarantee that group does not wipe without actually even trying to heal anything.
    Eh, you're playing down to the level of PuGs instead of up to the level that either spec is capable of, though. Shadow can do that "no one's going to die" with a Shield or two without trying, it just seems the really lazy way out of both roles.

If someone ever does die, you could cop out with "I'm just DPS'ing" and if people call you on your low DPS "Well, I'm Discipline". Managing to "keep up" to the average PuG shouldn't be something you strive for, really.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    I seem to be puzzled by the goal here. You are specing Disc for DPS boost, but queueing as DPS? Why not just toss on a DPS trinket and heal, really no reason to have two healers like Kel mentioned above. Even if you may clear lower heroics faster, having two healers isn't "helping" the true healer in your group.

The real challenge would be queueing as healer and still topping meters, if that is your real goal here...

Quote Originally Posted by Madam View Post
    The real challenge would be queueing as healer and still topping meters, if that is your real goal here...
    Been there, done that, got the achievement! (Does that include the tank, they cheat!)

Disc DPS works great if your trying to pull a iLvl 300 healer through ZA/ZG.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

I dunno why so many people can't grasp the fact that you're not trying to maximize your dps as a priest ("go shadow!"), but you're just trying to maximize your DPS as a Disc Priest.

As discussed in a previous thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post11927036

You just won't do as much damage as Shadow, granted you are doing all the healing you need... which brings up the next point...

Why the hell are you queing as a DPS, effectively giving a 5 man group 2 healers?

Quote Originally Posted by Solia View Post
    Why the hell are you queing as a DPS, effectively giving a 5 man group 2 healers?
    Heh it's like a Chloromancer in Rift where all your damage indirectly heals people. I think it would be cool if that mechanic was implemented a little more but Disc Priest's do both at the same time decently.. I've been outhealed in BH by a disc priest spamming smite.