Deleted

Updating BIOS - how to and what perks may it bring?

As the title suggests - what perks could updating my BIOS bring (I apparently have a very old version, according to my friend) and how do you do it? :P

What motherboardbrand?
    If it's an ASUS or Gigabyte, have a look at http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ting+bios&aq=f

Deleted
    It's a gigabyte board - GA-870A-UD3 or something like that (assuming I'm checking at the right place?)

EDIT: Not sure what I should check on that link you sent ?
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2011-07-12 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    It's a gigabyte board - GA-870A-UD3 or something like that (assuming I'm checking at the right place?)
    AMD-based then?
    I'd have a look on Linus' video on how-to. As for what it brings, is well, basically what any other kind of driver can bring. :P Better support, optimised usage, new functions et c.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    AMD-based then?
    I'd have a look on Linus' video on how-to. As for what it brings, is well, basically what any other kind of driver can bring. :P Better support, optimised usage, new functions et c.
    Could you send a link to the actual video? I'm a bit confused, not sure which one to check? :P

EDIT: Checked CPU-Z and, not sure what it means, but it says "chipset ATI"
    Last edited by mmoc1e9e1a2368; 2011-07-12 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Could you send a link to the actual video? I'm a bit confused, not sure which one to check? :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHN_QAEPeF8 How to flash a Gigabyte motherboard BIOS.

It is recommended to update BIOS firmware only if it fixes a bug that affects you or adds a new feature that you need. There's no reason to risk an update if you don't need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    It is recommended to update BIOS firmware only if it fixes a bug that affects you or adds a new feature that you need. There's no reason to risk an update if you don't need to.
    This. It's basically a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing as there is some risk if your power goes out mid update I believe you could have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    This. It's basically a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing as there is some risk if your power goes out mid update I believe you could have problems.
    Most, if not all, Gigabyte boards have dual bios, though. I know mine does, and it's a budget-model. :P
    And when was the last time you had a power outage, honestly? I haven't experienced one in years, honestly. And that was a faulty toasters fault.

Most, if not all, Gigabyte boards have dual bios, though. I know mine does, and it's a budget-model. :P
    And when was the last time you had a power outage, honestly? I haven't experienced one in years, honestly. And that was a faulty toasters fault.
    How can you blame him? he looks innocent.

Last month

My power hasn't gone out in years either but I hear all of the time of people who live in areas with unstable power where they lose it once or twice a month, outside of storms even. Hell I used to have a couple of people like that in raids.

If things are working fine, no need to change it. I mean the new firmware could possibly introduce new bugs of its own.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I concur with this.

While updating BIOS on a fairly modern Motherboard is far from rocket science it does carry a huge potential risk of ruining your MB if for some reason the update fails.

I've had that happen once before and was forced to buy a new Motherboard. Then while replacing the Motherboard I reattached by CPU cooler in a bad way and ended up killing my CPU a few days later.

In total the whole mess cost me 220 Euros, and I didn't even get a worthy hardware upgrade out of it.

1. Everytime someone tries to use the toaster oven while the microwave is running ...because my mom/brother always forget that the circuit the kitchen and game room are on can't handle it (1000W Microwave + 1500W Toaster Oven = circuit breaker saying "oh HELL no." /switch off)
    2. This last spring was pretty bad for power outages in my section of the neighborhood. Almost every time it rained we'd lose power for a while (I assume an underground wire was shorting out when the ground got wet)
    You'd think with all of this I'd invest in a UPS, but nope, I'm dumb like that (also not made out of money )

Anyways, OT: try to find a list of changes that the new BIOS version for your motherboard has. If you have any issues that seem like they could be fixed by stuff on the change list, might be worth updating. If you aren't having any issues, there shouldn't be a need to update your BIOS. This isn't like graphics drivers were it's usually a good idea to update often, find one that works (this can include the one you already have) and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I concur with this.

While updating BIOS on a fairly modern Motherboard is far from rocket science it does carry a huge potential risk of ruining your MB if for some reason the update fails.

I've had that happen once before and was forced to buy a new Motherboard. Then while replacing the Motherboard I reattached by CPU cooler in a bad way and ended up killing my CPU a few days later.

In total the whole mess cost me 220 Euros, and I didn't even get a worthy hardware upgrade out of it.
    So what did we learn? Don't install CPU cooler with a hammer.

Deleted
    I've had a BIOS update fail and because of this experience I only - as many others - recommend doing it if it's really, really needed. Believe me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    "..if it aint fittin', use the sledge hammer!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Well every thing was going fine until my afroamerican room-mate walked in and yelled "STOP"!