Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rag 10 Son of Flame adds. How to be useful?

Hello warlocks,
    I'm wondering how you guys do quick damage to the Son of Flame adds in the Ragnaros (10man) encounter? As the raid leader of a semi-casual guild currently working on the fight, I'm wondering what words of advice I can give our warlock who is currently doing about 1/3 the damage to Son of Flame that I am (broken ass frost DK), so that he actually contributes to the transition phases.

Ideas?

Will post worldoflogs once it's maintenance ends.

If he is affliction, there really is no way to get "quick" damage on the Sons, he should be UA+Corr multidotting on all of em, starting with the ones closest to Sulfuras.

If he is demo/destro he can immolate(not sure about corr for demo/destro) spam the mobs then Sb them as needed.

he should multi dot the adds, who are far away, so they easily drop down to 50 and let the nukers kill the nearest adds

This is from my most recent Rag kill: (25 man, I omitted the people below me just to show where I was as aff)
    Jaythekilla 1016795 7.4 % Arcane Mage
    Winnebago 959164 7.0 % Frost DK
    Kookie 953508 6.9 % Ret Paladin
    Ignis 936223 6.8 % Arcane Mage
    Cigbok 866898 6.3 % Frost DK
    Superalpaca 843894 6.1 % Feral Druid
    Gabool 833683 6.0 % MM Hunter
    Runn 791368 5.7 % Fury Warrior
    Propz 781681 5.7 % Afflock (Me)

Edit: That is damage done to Son of Flames.

just multi dot and you should be ok, or he should be. Just takes practive

Deleted
    As Demo, your warlock wants to be puttin his pet on the add closest to the hammer, stunning the one on the otherside closest to the hammer, immolating those 2 adds followed by immolating the rest, and then HoG on anything that moves anything to fast, and due to the immolate ticks gotten there should be a MC procc that helps him finnish of the rest rather fast.

As Destro, Immolate once again, Conflagerate on anything moving too fast, once that is done the increased cast time on next spells become rather handy to finnish of anything else. Shadowfury can stun a few adds close meanwhile.

As affliction (which is, in my opinion and experience, terrible for these adds) it's ua+corr on all adds, and heck even fel flaming arround, using Nightfall proccs on adds that are on high HP / close to the hammer.

DPS on the adds isn't the only thing he can do to be helpful. If it is really seeming to be a problem for you guys he can also summon his succubus during the transition before the transition and use its aoe knockback on the Sons as well as multi-dotting. I did this at first on our 10 man attempts last night but eventually we got it down to where it wasn't needed.

Well, the most important thing with the Sons of Flame adds is to get them to 50% to get them slowed down. I found that as affliction, SB: Soul Fire to put on some initial burst really went a long down to handling an add.

Affliction: DoT everything. Hope for Nightfall procs. Aff has no spike.
    Destro: Immo everything. Conflag on CD. Shadowfury adds that get scarily close to the hammer.
    Demo: Immo everything. HoG on CD. Sic pet on adds close to hammer. Axe throw on adds that get scarily close to hammer.

A good thing to note about the adds is they spawn from the closest to the hammer to farthest away. So you can actually follow the spawns outward dotting as you go.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks aren't great for sons \: If your warlock is doing about a 3rd of your damage.. perhaps he's not being completely optimal (depending on spec) but you really shouldn't expect a large increase either.
    Destro would be best.. but your warlock really idealy shouldnt be destro either for raiding.
    Demo cant do much other than picking 1 add and focusing it. Only real perk is axe toss..
    Aff should just multidot.. will come out on top of damage from all 3 specs but much of the dot damage will be below 50%..

Thanks Sokogeka<3

Quote Originally Posted by Lillah View Post
    Warlocks aren't great for sons \: If your warlock is doing about a 3rd of your damage.. perhaps he's not being completely optimal (depending on spec) but you really shouldn't expect a large increase either.
    Destro would be best.. but your warlock really idealy shouldnt be destro either for raiding.
    Demo cant do much other than picking 1 add and focusing it. Only real perk is axe toss..
    Aff should just multidot.. will come out on top of damage from all 3 specs but much of the dot damage will be below 50%..
    Actually, Felstorm is rather awesome on adds too. Its awesome burst on 1 add, while you dps down another (for 10-man). Also, as they get closer to eachother when they approach hammer, if you can save it for that, its even better.

As an affliction lock
    You can do pretty good dmg; to maximize add dmg. I soul swap before adds come up > Stand in front of the hammer.. like goal keepter.. drop soul swap on closest add to hammer plus send you pet on that one.. then curr, imm on all adds as they work their way to you (hammer). tab fel fire to keep dot up .. shadow flame anyone next to you and SB/SF another; you can put a hurting on them pretty fast.. the dots will wear them sub 50 then just drain life one to get shards back. Key is just to get them to sub 50 as fast as possible then pick them off.

When taking the little adds.. when you group up.. SB/ seed for corruption tick / shadowflame > seed >seed > seed > flame

As Desto.
    Bane any add first > Shadow fury closest add going to hammer (they do get stunned), imm/conflag / curr / SF (should kill that one or drop to sub 50) , rinse and repeat on other adds.. shadowburn sub 20 to get shards back

On small adds when you group up to AOE = Shadow fury, shadow flame, Rain of Fire, burn (to get shards if needed)= should be enough.

I would glyph shadow flame for that fight to help slow them under 50. Flame will not work til then but Fury will.
    Last edited by lockdwn; 2011-07-12 at 09:00 PM.

During our try out of the phase in 10man last night, during the little intermission where Rag gets ready to throw down his hammer, I quickly switched my felhunter for felguard (hard cast summoning) and intercepted 2nd closest add and then axe tossed the third add. After that its all immo and corrup doting. HoG is also a nice quick dazer if talented, and if an add runs over that circle of purple after 6 seconds they can get stunned , that last part is pure luck, but its a nice extra.

On our 25 man trys this week, as Affliction I switched to a succubus (Oh yeah) and used whiplash to knockback any adds that got too close for comfort. Id suggest the same for Destro if possible. Loss of Dps for hard cast summon is worth stopping raid wipes people.

Basically, help is not from your spells, but your pets spells.

10+ Year Old Account
    As affliction, right before Ragnaros went away I put bane of agony on him and soul-swapped. I also attack the furthest add, and I realized that soulburn and casting soulfire/drainlife would help too.

Thank you all. I will pass on the info. He was trying demo, but I believe he was keeping his felpup out the entire fight (except something about felguard for the first 10 seconds? I dunno) and was staying on the same target as the felpup, so he was lucky to manage one by himself.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    Actually, Felstorm is rather awesome on adds too. Its awesome burst on 1 add, while you dps down another (for 10-man). Also, as they get closer to eachother when they approach hammer, if you can save it for that, its even better.
    Wouldn't you want to keep felstorm off of CD for the elementals spawning from the seeds?
    I definetly wouldnt call it 'awesome' for single target though... I can see the use for when multiple are close to the hammer... but they'll likely die after 1-2 ticks at that point = waste compared to some other class killing it in a global.

---------- Post added 2011-07-13 at 03:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vhaman View Post
    Thank you all. I will pass on the info. He was trying demo, but I believe he was keeping his felpup out the entire fight (except something about felguard for the first 10 seconds? I dunno) and was staying on the same target as the felpup, so he was lucky to manage one by himself.
    He should switch back to the felguard on sons phase or the phase where elementals spawn from seeds.

Thanks Sokogeka<3

My suggestions would go along the lines of...
    As affliction
    Soul swap inhale your dots of rag (This is one of the few times its actually useful imo) before the transition.
    Exhale on a close add.
    UA spam on the far away adds, maybe add corruption. Proceed to SB spam the further away adds.
    coex if you are talented for it on some adds
    Normal rotation on the closest add

As demo
    Immolate spam the far away adds
    Have your felguard do its stuff on the closer adds
    If several adds get close together fel storm em.

As destro
    Immolate spam
    Shadowfury the close adds
    Shadowflame adds
    Conflag

If your Warlock is decently geared and Destruction, he can take care of two of the rear adds on his own. Immolate > Conflag > one Incinerate on the first and keep your Imp on it, quickly Shadowfury stun when the two adds are close enough to each other, use (glyphed) Shadowflame to slow them, immediately switch to the second add, Immolate > Incinerate/Chaos Bolt and Conflag when it's up. Then finish off the add that's closest to the hammer before turning on any surviving Sons.

Affliction's lack of quick quick burst damage makes it sub-optimal for the adds if your warlock isn't receiving any assistance. He'll be able to manage better as Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurydemus View Post
    use (glyphed) Shadowflame to slow them
    Sons of Flame are immune to all snares, including glyphed Shadowflame, if they weren't they would be completely trivial if you had any kind of snare.