Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Next big thing in heatsinks?

Stumbled upon this today... Next step forward in heatsink/fan design might be heatsink rotating and no separate fan.
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/8...ink-is-the-fan

Will be interesting to see how this turns out, but I'd definitely welcome smaller and quieter heatsinks inside my computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It's...beautiful.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

10+ Year Old Account
    I want one..
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Not going to work properly, and tons of problems associated with it...waste of money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ztkraptor View Post
    Not going to work properly, and tons of problems associated with it...waste of money.
    You say that now but if they work out the kinks its should be pretty amazing.

It sounds interesting but we might never see it in the market. I doubt that it will be cheap to manufacture, and if we get to more expensive coolers, water cooling is the better solution.

I was reading about that at work, was gonna post about when I got back from class, but you seem to have beaten me

Definitely looks interesting though. I'm semi-curious how the well heat gets from the base to the rotating fins, since it looks like they're separated by a tiny amount of air

Interesting concept. I'm hesitant to jump to praise immediately, but it IS an interesting concept.

TBH, I think the ATX-formfactor in general could do with a seeing-over.

Deleted
    "The Sandia Cooler may also be the technology that smashes down the “Thermal Brick Wall” that is preventing computer chips from moving beyond 3GHz."

huh, what?

First off.."centrifugal force" doesn't exist...you think that someone writing about this would know.
    Second off, you are requiring Air, to conduct heat. The laws of thermodynamics(thermal conductivity) state that air is an insulator, not a conductor.
    So even that .0001 inches of air..is enough to cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post
    "The Sandia Cooler may also be the technology that smashes down the “Thermal Brick Wall” that is preventing computer chips from moving beyond 3GHz."

huh, what?
    Clearly the author has no idea why we can't move beyond 3GHz (actually about 4-4.5Ghz) on silicone.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-12 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powersoul View Post

huh, what?
    I think they're missing "in laptops" or something off the end
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the scientific evidence, im sure hope the US government stops wasting money investing on this project as you clearly dont approve it.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off.."centrifugal force" doesn't exist...you think that someone writing about this would know.
    Second off, you are requiring Air, to conduct heat. The laws of thermodynamics(thermal conductivity) state that air is an insulator, not a conductor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Clearly the author has no idea why we can't move beyond 3GHz (actually about 4-4.5Ghz) on silicone.
    Before Sandy Bridges it wasn't too trivial on air coolers. You're mistaking overclocking results with stock clock speed results.

Only skimmed the full PDF, but I'd guess the axle is also conducting heat between the two metal blocks.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    fairly common issue, i read an article about 6 months back that claimed some new moister wicking material would allow computers to be water cooled in the future

the issues i see with this heatsink are more on the mechanical front, such as vibration from a spinning heatsink damaging the motherboard over long term, also, putting an electric motor that close to the cpu is bound to generate enough EMI to cause stability issues

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 10:28 AM ----------

not sure about this one, looks like a troll, but:

the design of this heatsink is very much like a turbocharger for a car, and air does conduct heat, thats how radiators and heatsinks work

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Its not a REAL force, its a label for centripetal acceleration.
    Trust me, ask any physics professor. they will rage at you for using Centrifugal.

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    not sure about this one, looks like a troll, but:

the design of this heatsink is very much like a turbocharger for a car, and air does conduct heat, thats how radiators and heatsinks work
    Not trolling.
    A turbocharger is completely different, it uses an impeller, it also is used to drive/compress air. not suck air from above out the sides.
    Air, is a horrible conductor of heat(used as "cold" or "hot" heat is just the term for energy transfer)..anyway, that is why double pained windows are so efficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not trolling.
    A turbocharger is completely different, it uses an impeller, it also is used to drive/compress air. not suck air from above out the sides.
    Air, is a horrible conductor of heat(used as "cold" or "hot" heat is just the term for energy transfer)..anyway, that is why double pained windows are so efficient.
    again, you may want to see how airflow works on a turbo, it sucks in air from the center, and centrifugal force compresses it, this heatsink works the same way, just without the compression

also, double pained windows use an insulating gas between them, its not regular air

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Before Sandy Bridges it wasn't too trivial on air coolers. You're mistaking overclocking results with stock clock speed results.
    The point is that you can't move beyond a certain limit on silicone for stable work and it doesn't matter with what cooling. The voltage requirements increase exponentially, and from them the heat levels and the CPU degradation. A new type of cooler won't change that.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-12 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    again, you may want to see how airflow works on a turbo, it sucks in air from the center, and centrifugal force compresses it, this heatsink works the same way, just without the compression

also, double pained windows use an insulating gas between them, its not regular air
    lets take a look at the gasses used in double pane windows..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

Argon (gas) 0.016

Air, athmosphere (gas) 0.024

As compared to various heatsink materials.
    Copper 401

Aluminum 250

Extremely close.
    So, again my point stands about how air is an insulator, cheap ones use air, but sadly things can grow on the inside with oxygen, so its not a good idea.

Again, a turbo uses an impeller, which is a completely different structure than what is in the design of the heatsink here.

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 05:17 PM ----------

The point is that you can't move beyond a certain limit on silicone for stable work and it doesn't matter with what cooling. The voltage requirements increase exponentially, and from them the heat levels and the CPU degradation. A new type of cooler won't change that.
    Actually, there is a point in terms of temperature, where actually less voltage is needed to power something. Because it becomes a superconductor.
    Furthermore, as the chip dies shrink, less power will be needed, which results in less bleeding of voltage.
    Intel is already working on a 14nm process known as​Airmont.

In fact, go look at the PDF, and see Figure 16...and lol, the CPU would be located in the center, aka that area that is all red in the center of the purple...the concept is stupid.
    Last edited by ztkraptor; 2011-07-12 at 05:23 PM.