Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Upgrading computer in time for BF3, need some suggestions

My goal is to run BF3 (Basically DX11) on ultra graphics. I'm wondering what kind of requirements are necessary to reach that goal. I have an ~$800ish limit on funds

Basically looking for information on gfx cards as this will be my first "gaming rig." Also some general questions about motherboard processors. Are the i3 550s still comparable to i7 speeds? Why would I get one of the newer processors over an i3, etc.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Deleted
    At ultra, you're looking at at least a GTX 580 and a bet cpu, since they used that to demo it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    At ultra, you're looking at at least a GTX 580 and a bet cpu, since they used that to demo it.
    Are ATI cards not very popular anymore? Seems everyone's starting to dev on Nvidia

Also: what kind of setup were they using in the demo?
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Do you HAVE to land at 60 fps or would you be finw with lower?
    What current computer do you have, ie, anything salvagable?
    What resolution is your monitor?

With 800$ for a new rig, it can't be done.

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    Are ATI cards not very popular anymore? Seems everyone's starting to dev on Nvidia

Also: what kind of setup were they using in the demo?
    The 580 is the most powerful single-GPU graphicscard. AMD (previously ATi) chose to aim for the lower segment, but wider mass, with their high-end card (The Radeon HD6970, which I incidently use).

As for in the demos, I've only heard confirmations of the GTX580, done simply by the people testplaying it opening the side-panel. :P
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-07-12 at 04:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Do you HAVE to land at 60 fps or would you be finw with lower?
    What current computer do you have, ie, anything salvagable?
    What resolution is your monitor?

With 800$ for a new rig, it can't be done.
    I'm willing to spend more, but that's my base goal. I'm using a Dell Inspiron slim case, I doubt I can salvage anything out of it :S
    My monitor is an Acer 22" 1920x1080 px

Personally I don't notice framerate unless it dips below 30-40 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    I'm willing to spend more, but that's my base goal. I'm using a Dell Inspiron slim case, I doubt I can salvage anything out of it :S
    My monitor is an Acer 22" 1920x1080 px

Personally I don't notice framerate unless it dips below 30-40 FPS
    Anything at this point is guesstimates, you'll have to understand as well.
    There's no open/closed beta, not even a closed alpha afaik.
    So we can only add guesses.

But DICE themselves have said that not even they have been able to max their game yet. Make of that what you will.
    OTOH, they're not done with the optimisation-phase yet, allegedly.
    For a new build of 800USD it would've been possible to get a potent build. But in 1080p? You can get awesome graphics, but I'm not convinced you can max it. :P

10+ Year Old Account

But DICE themselves have said that not even they have been able to max their game yet. Make of that what you will.
    For a new build of 800USD it would've been possible to get a potent build. But in 1080p? You can get awesome graphics, but I'm not convinced you can max it. :P
    I'm personally happy running 720p as I can use the rest of my screen for other things, assuming they add the ability to run BF3 in windowed mode... BFBC2 was so annoying in that aspect

---------- Post added 2011-07-12 at 12:39 PM ----------

So just to confirm, you're saying the 580 is probably what I should go with, right?

I would wait and see. BF has been one of the games that has run well on AMD so they WILL make sure that their new line of GPU's will be out for the release of BFBC3. (This is HD 7000 Southern Islands). They are lowering the dye size of the graphics chip and changing the architecture of their high end cards so I would wait.

Anyways both Nvidia and AMD should have Kepler and Southern Islands out close to the same time as the game is released. I would wait to see how that goes before buying a card. If you dont want to get a new card when they are out you can always pick up some 580's for a lot cheaper as quite a few people will be upgrading.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Like someone already said, 580 rules

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephasaurus View Post
    I would wait and see. BF has been one of the games that has run well on AMD so they WILL make sure that their new line of GPU's will be out for the release of BFBC3. (This is HD 7000 Southern Islands). They are lowering the dye size of the graphics chip and changing the architecture of their high end cards so I would wait.

Anyways both Nvidia and AMD should have Kepler and Southern Islands out close to the same time as the game is released. I would wait to see how that goes before buying a card. If you dont want to get a new card when they are out you can always pick up some 580's for a lot cheaper as quite a few people will be upgrading.
    I've heard nothing about the release of BFBC3, but I assume you mean BF3. I'm betting you can count on neither Southern Islands and Kepler this year.

It's been clear for months that they intend to be released, at the earliest, late December. Southern Islands are a bit further along in the process than Kepler, but I'm doubtful at best of a 2011 release.

Dur sorry I meant BF3 not BFBC. I have heard that Kepler is being moved back to Q1 2012 but we wont really know when Southern Islands will be out till later in the year. BF3 is a big game for AMD so I imagine that they want their cards out around that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I can see, DICE is going to develop for the current highest card, and that is the 580. I think I've made my decision there, but what can I get as far as mobo and cooling options that are affordable, function well, but will also last me like 3+ years

CPU:i5 2500k would be the best and last you the longest
    Motherboard: Your choice of ASUS, Gigabyte, and ASRock
    Cooler: Hyper 212+ is cheap and performs well(cheap if you find it for under $50)

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is there any benefit of an i7 over an i5 at all? I'm in a very similar position to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Is there any benefit of an i7 over an i5 at all? I'm in a very similar position to the OP.
    The i7 has hyper threading and no games use it,i5 performs about the same has the i7 in games also, so if your building a machine just for gaming its a unneeded feature and you would be best off saving the $100

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    You do know BC2 and many other games can be run in windowed with alt + enter?
    Confirmed!

(And just because I was bored, I also notied an FPS-drop doing so, from 90~ to 68-72-ish. Not much of a concern since I run vSync on. /shrug
    I noticed the same thing in Wow ages ago and haven't been a fan of windowed since. D: )

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think just because Alt+enter doesn't run as smoothly as say a window/maximized mode, at least from what I've seen. Although, I haven't tested that with my new build so it's probably changed since then.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

On topic, a single 580 for ultra is STILL very good. It's admittedly unbeaten in graphical quality (Crysis 2 is too "perfect" on buildings and such) so to hear it'll run on a single 580 is promising. Considering these systems likely ran a Sandy Bridge chip too, it's also good to know that a good many of us won't have to worry. I was concerned it'd require SLI 580's for ultra and a single one for "good", but apparently we might be running it on 560's or 460's.
    The problem is that BF3 "runs" on a single 580 in the demosettings. What are the demosettings? Medium? High? Max? Not likely max.

Crysis 2 in DX11+hightexture seems to be far more taxing on the GPU than BFBC2, even so much more it's ridiculous. ^^ OTOH, it's a newer game, and even in DX9 mode, it's quite beautiful. (I runn crysis 2 in dx11 ultra on perhaps 40-50fps)

According to my technical view I would like to say that The 580 is the most powerful single-GPU graphics card. AMD (previously ATi) chose to aim for the lower segment, but wider mass, with their high-end card (The Radeon HD6970).

Yeah, it eats up almost all 1.5GB VRAM. Also, i was comparing BF3 and Crysis 2 . BC2 admittedly isn't that taxing on the GPU, not by current standards (it is a few years old already).
    I'm assuming the BF3 demo settings were the same quality as used in the videos.
    I realise! That's why I wrote BFBC2 and BF3 separately! There's just no guessing about it.
    Some people made suggestions that they launched BC2 just to lay down the groundwork for BF3. Meaning a more CPU-intensive game. Others suggested that BC2s importance should be completely marginalised on account of being a consoleport. And I can agree about that, if looking at only BC2. It's hardly aweinspiring, graphicswise.

Good thing I have 2GiB VRAM on my 6970!

Also, yes. Those are the demosettings. I'm not actually that into the whole BF-thing, before dreamhack, I'd just casually played Crysis2 singleplayer and some BF1942 before as far as FPS goes, I just recently bought BFBC2 though. D: