Deleted

help with computer build.

Hi, I am currently looking into building my first. Could do with a little help with it. The way I buy comps, is simple, when i cant play the newest games decently, its time for a new one.
    I will list what I am considering, and will be open to any suggestions to reduce or improve parts. Also if anything is clearly not compatible together, please shout out.

Motherboard :
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX, AMD, DDR3 (am3+)
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=MB-460-AS

Processor:
    AMD Phennon IIx4 Quad Core, 125W (AM3)
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=CP-253-AM

Memory:
    Corsair Vengence 12GB (3x4) DDR3, 1600MHz, triple channel

Video Card:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB (Maybe 2?)
    http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=GX-256-SP

Power:
    Corsair Proffessional series, AX750, 750W

Cooling:
    Corsair Hydro H80 high performance liquid.

Cd/dvd tray, not too important atm, will slam something in, probably a blueray palyer.
    Storage, again will just bam in a TB or 2.
    Last edited by mmoc92d4194e7f; 2011-07-13 at 05:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your CPU is Dual Channel, so you want 2, 4, 8 or 16gb of RAM (Dual Channel) Rather than 3, 6, 12 (Triple Channel)

Other than that sure ok :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with Sandy bridge. Those Phenoms are pretty slow, and would probably bottleneck the GPU, specially 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

If you are going to spend that much money on the FX MoBo you need to get a HexCore.

(1100T at the site you posted.)

Trinity FTW

Deleted
    Yea, was looking for 8s but the price difference makes it more worthwhile to keep the 4 extra boxed for when needed.

Djinni, if I replaced with a Sandybridge, could you suggest a motherB that is similar to the sabertooth (inc a cool name) :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Video card is great, PSU is great.
    Heatsink is alright.. Air coolers (Noctua NH-D14 will always come to mind) will give you more performance for your money, but some people prefer the looks of the Hydro series.

You can definitely do something better with your CPU. The core i3 2100 is cheaper AND outperforms the Phenom 965 in almost everything (see link) http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...60.61.62.63.64

If you can afford it, spring for the slightly more expensive i5 2500k. I'm not too up to date on motherboards, but any ASUS/Gigabyte P67 board should do you fine.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    You might want to wait until we get some solid numbers about what AMD's bulldozers can do. They might end up as the new cool thing or they may not, either way prices ought to drop noticeably across the board letting you pick up a sandybridge cpu. I wouldn't build a brand new computer using a phenom II. Sandybridge or Bulldozer in my opinion and wait either way.

Deleted
    I agree with the others get a Sandy Bridge instead of the AMD. Wait till Bulldozer comes out though to see how they fair to SB.

Also buy from scan.co.uk not overclockers, as it will work out alot cheaper

If you're dead set on the Vengeance RAM, make sure you buy Low profile version, for when you add a CPU cooler.

SB build could be;

Mobo: MSI P67A-GD53
    CPU: i5 2500k
    GPU: MSI 6950 Twin FrozR III
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance low profile
    PSU: Corsair AX750
    CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro (I'd swap the H80 for it, but up to you ofcourse)

£717 on scan.co.uk
    Exactly the same parts on Overclockers is £760
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-07-13 at 09:48 PM.

You can get the Asus Sabertooth motherboard for the P67 chipset also if you got your heart set on it.
    Last edited by Reaya; 2011-07-13 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

DO NOT buy AMD right now wait til they come out with new stuff or get a sandy bridge. Seriously youll be upset late when the price of that CPU is gonna plummet and youre getting terrible output from it in comparison to AMDs new stuff thats coming out or a sandy bridge. Its good.. but no reason to spend money on it anymore its old.