Overlclocking the 2500k

So I just picked up my new Asus p67 Deluxe Motherboard, my i5 2500k, Coolermaster Hyper212+ and my new Antec 1200 gaming case. I would like to know how to overclock the cpu to 4.5Ghz. What I would like to know is: What settings to change, what settings to leave, and what kind of gaming improvement will I see from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiss View Post
    So I just picked up my new Asus p67 Deluxe Motherboard, my i5 2500k, Coolermaster Hyper212+ and my new Antec 1200 gaming case. I would like to know how to overclock the cpu to 4.5Ghz. What I would like to know is: What settings to change, what settings to leave, and what kind of gaming improvement will I see from it.
    i just increased the turbo multiplier to 45, nothing else. never had any crash nor any troubles
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Heres a guide on how to overclock the 2500k also using same motherboard like the one you have.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...ore-i5-2500k/1

Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    i just increased the turbo multiplier to 45, nothing else. never had any crash nor any troubles
    Get a good peformance increase?

i dont think that you need to OC this strong cpu ... 3,3GHz on quadcore cpu is more than enough to play anything

Get a good peformance increase?
    yes i noticed a pretty huge increase in games like bfbc2.
    also in general benchmarks there was a cool margin.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
    yes i noticed a pretty huge increase in games like bfbc2.
    also in general benchmarks there was a cool margin.
    Funny you should say that, when BFBC2 is more or less as GPU limited as WoW is CPU limited. There's plenty of reviews showing that you gain more or less 1-2 fps by such overclock.

Not exactly a "huge increase".

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Funny you should say that, when BFBC2 is more or less as GPU limited as WoW is CPU limited. There's plenty of reviews showing that you gain more or less 1-2 fps by such overclock.

what? the game is cpu heavy. and well i noticed, by simply playing, not doing any real test actually, that the overall fps is higher, and i would not get some occasional frames drops (in intense action parts), as used to happen when it was on stock clock.
    that is pretty huge to me, considering how easy and 'not dangerous' it is to oc this cpu

Well that's some kind of psychological effect then, because an overclock of some odd hundred MHz won't remove such frame drops in a GPU intensive game. You didn't update GPU drivers at the same time did you? There's been a lot of problem with the smoke effects at least for some GPUs.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...600k-review/21

There's some actual numbers on the issue

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4083/35049.png

My Current Cpu isng even in the list... shamed

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Going from barely being able to do medium settings on a 32 player server to doing full settings with the same gpu I would consider a huge increase.

You may not need to overclock the processor to run it well, but doing so will just make the processor do things faster, which is sort of the point of overclocking anyways, other than extending the life of it down the road.
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-07-14 at 01:57 PM.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by batman3d View Post
    i dont think that you need to OC this strong cpu ... 3,3GHz on quadcore cpu is more than enough to play anything
    My massive framerate improvement in WoW when going from 3.3GHz (3.7 with standard turbo boost) to 4.6GHz permanent disagrees.

Well that's some kind of psychological effect then
    You may want to visit OCN sometime. They use BFBC2 as somewhat of an overclock benchmark because of how CPU intensive it is. It's pretty much right up there with WoW as a CPU hog.