Deleted

Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 - performance

Hey guys !
    What do you think about this laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 with nVidia GeForce GT 555M - 1 GB DDR5 and Intel Core i7-2630QM.
    Does anyone have impressions about it ? Is it overheating ? Will it work good with the high end games ?
    I'm not expecting miracles from it , but normal gameplay and stable FPS.
    Tnx in advance !

Hey, that's the computer that my friend bought! At the native resolution of the screen, it can play a lot of games at high graphics. At higher resolutions though (external monitor), its performance will drop. It doesn't seem to overheat on bioshock with 4x AA and the rest on highest settings, but I imagine a game like Metro 2033 or Crysis 2 would need to be tuned down quite a bit.

Something to note:

The drivers for nVidia Optimus are not working properly and cannot be updated. There is a switch on the bottom right-hand corner that you need to manually slide to the left so you can switch to your dedicated GPU, as it will default to Intel HD integrated graphics. I spent a while figuring out that bit of information, suffering a great blow to my intelligence in the process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Hey, that's the computer that my friend bought! At the native resolution of the screen, it can play a lot of games at high graphics. At higher resolutions though (external monitor), its performance will drop. It doesn't seem to overheat on bioshock with 4x AA and the rest on highest settings, but I imagine a game like Metro 2033 or Crysis 2 would need to be tuned down quite a bit.

Something to note:

The drivers for nVidia Optimus are not working properly and cannot be updated. There is a switch on the bottom right-hand corner that you need to manually slide to the left so you can switch to your dedicated GPU, as it will default to Intel HD integrated graphics. I spent a while figuring out that bit of information, suffering a great blow to my intelligence in the process.
    Thanks for the answer ,so in the end is it worth it or shoud I search for another ?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Can you afford a 1200 dollar laptop instead? Ideally a gaming notebook would be so much better for performance, but if that's out of the question then the Y570 is a good deal.

I have the Y560, the hinges are weak and the whole thing feels slightly flimsy. Don't pick it up by one hand!

Deleted
    In my country we don't have much of a choice of laptops , and the prices are bit higher than US ones. So Y570 here costs about 1000$ and gaming laptops like Dell Alienware are out of the question(about 3000-3500$).
    And also laptops like Sager are not sold here , so the choice of a good performace laptops are really poor.
    Shipping from other countries will become way more expencive.
    Yes 1200$ can be spend for a laptop , but the shipping + customs tax will become a bit over 1600$.

Alienware is overpriced no matter where you go. ASUS and MSI make great gaming laptops, though. I'd check to see if they sell to your country first, because your intention is to game then you should be using a proper laptop for it.

Deleted
    Well it will be great if you find anything better then this, but I doubt that because the choises with this budget are very limited when we are including the shipment etc.But then again tnx in advance for taking your time searching.Hope you find something worth buying

You'd be surprised how many Clevo/Sager/Asus/MSI retailers there are, what country do you live in?
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You'd be surprised how many Clevo/Sager/Asus/MSI retailers there are, what country do you live in?
    In the small country of Bulgaria.