Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

It's Just a Game - Worst Reasoning Ever

I am so sick of seeing the phrase "it's just a game". It makes no sense whatsover. It insinuates that when you play a game you should always feel happy no matter the outcome. If I lose four BG's in a row or have a failed dungeon after a 45 minute queue I shouldn't have any bad feelings about it. I'm sorry but I'm competitive by nature. I want to win as winning makes me happy. I want to feel like I accomplished something. This is true no matter in WoW, or board games, watching my favorite sports team or completing a task at work. Winning or accomplishment gives me a rush. Losing or failing brings disappointment and aggravation. And telling me "it's just a game" won't make me say "OH YEAH I'M HAPPY NOW". It seems to be trolling in disguise.

I'm spending a small portion of my life playing World of Warcraft. Emotions will get involved sometimes (probably all the time really). By no means do I say it excuses dumb behaviors like harassing someone by make a lev 1 char on the opposite faction to swear at them or griefing them for an hour. We are accountable for our actions and behaviors and should treat others how we want to be treated.

Just don't tell me it's just a game because it accomplishes nothing other than drawing out more frustration.

(Soon to come - response of "It's just a game"- no points for originality; also in before UMADBRO - also a completely senseless combination of letters; oh yeah and tl;dr /ten char)

/walloftext

Deleted
    Walls don't have spaces.

Deleted
    I agree, I had a 'friend' who would wind me up to the hilt going on about how great he was and how he's done this that and the other and how im just bloody wrong about everything, really wind me up, then when I tell him to F off, he goes, oh its just a game. I could kick the fuck out of him thinking about it.

EDIT: And yes, I probably am mad, bro.

I think that when people say "it's just a game," they typically mean that while nobody likes losing, that you should just get over it and not make a huge deal out of it like so many people do.

I'm sorry but I'm competitive by nature.
    Then you should always be with a premade team in a team game instead of relying on others

I want to feel like I accomplished something.
    Are you saying you need a video game to feel accomplished? There is subtext in your post I think you should reflect on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah
    There really isn't much to say about SC2, it's not a very complex game. Three races that never change and that's it, end of story.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When someone tells you "It's just a game". It doesn't mean you're supposed to be happy, not sure why you think that. It usually means Get the fuck over it and move on. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Graviteh View Post
    Then you should always be with a premade team in a team game instead of relying on others

Are you saying you need a video game to feel accomplished? There is subtext in your post I think you should reflect on.
    Have you ever been in a guild where pugging is actually more successful than guild runs? In any case I was citing examples and not actually providing a specific case. Try understanding context instead of skimming and replying.

I play a game to be entertained. If I'm entertained then I accomplished my goal. You are using "feel accomplished" in a completely different context like "I feel good about myself because I save a human being". Apparently the context of how I used the word escaped you. Skimming can lead to errors.

Deleted
    Well ,the fact is...its just a game.
    Last saturday I lost 8 bgs in a row being in every one of them not just top healer..having twice the heal any other from any faction.I dont need to tell you I made a long lasting /sigh...at the end.
    But over the course of the years I have learned to see the comical part of it and I got to tell you that seeing a paladin bubble and losing the flag 30 yrds before capture could be either a "AGHHHH MANNN WTF!! NOOB!!!! IM FUCKING KILL YOU!!!" or a internal /facepalm and a "Lol! m8..you cant bubble there..".
    Your choice.

So i say feeling frustated does not imply you become the German Kid that smashes the keyboard on the youtube vid.

So long story short:
    A) Frustation <-- human feeling.Nothing we cant do.It is right.
    B) Shouting,insulting the others,getting your adrenaline pump up <---- There is something wrong that need to be checked..asap because...this is just a game.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I think that when people say "it's just a game," they typically mean that while nobody likes losing, that you should just get over it and not make a huge deal out of it like so many people do.
    I think this pretty much sums that phrase up.
    People (at least the ones with a decent level of intelligence) don't mean that you should feel nothing because it's a game. They mean that you (not you specifically, OP) shouldn't go into a tantrum because of one failed pug (or any other overreaction example).

Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    I think this pretty much sums that phrase up.
    People (at least the ones with a decent level of intelligence) don't mean that you should feel nothing because it's a game. They mean that you (not you specifically, OP) shouldn't go into a tantrum because of one failed pug (or any other overreaction example).
    True, but the majority of people I see in-game that use the phrase "it's just a game" are players who are massively under preforming and want to use that as an excuse for their unwillingness to improve, just like the phrase "I'm a casual". A shadow priest in 4.1, during a ZA run, was pulling 4-5K DPS. Playing a priest myself, I offered some suggestions in whisper. He goes "lol, it's just a game, I only play casually, I don't care about doing good"

Its just a game man. When people tell you that, they aren't telling you to be happy and forget that you lost 4 battlegrounds, they're telling you to get perspective. Its a game, don't let it ruin your day. If its not fun then go play something else. Losing your temper over something as trivial as WoW is just stupid, you're only opening yourself up to all the "umad bro?" from the trolls. You realize that your anguish only fuels their desire, making the game even more fun for them.

You can want to win. Its okay to feel bad when you lose, especially if you lose round after round after round. But seriously, don't lose it over a game, because its just a game. You've got the power to turn it off if you're not having fun.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you are that competitive and serious about the game(which is cool) then you should be with like minded folks in a good guild.
    Otherwise, pugging Bg's and instances will put you with alot of people(like me) who truely think it is indeed 'just and game' and a fun timekiller and thats about it.
    You are going to have more frustration pugging.
    Last edited by kunah; 2011-07-14 at 04:25 PM.
    Operation Red Wing

It's life... get over it.

Sometimes things that happen in a game that piss me off whether others feel it should or not. It still comes down to how I handle it. Do I grief someone? (only to kill him once :P ) Do I tell a whole BG "you all suck I have more hk and more damage then all of you"? Never. Do I ever say something inappropriate? When my temper gets the better part of me on occasion. Still telling me it's a game is just going to up my frustration because now I realize I'm upset about "a game".

it's fine to be bummed about crap.

Losing your shit and freaking out and yelling? Chill out bro, it's just a game. Your life has changed in no way. You're still alive, healthy, and you didn't lose anything tangible. (You did lose your dignity, but hey.)

That's what they mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzzentch View Post
    honestly what happened in BC? it's like the 60's of WoW everything is in awful colours, shit doesn't make sense and i feel like i'm trippin bawls everytime i level an alt past 58...
    Shattarath is kinda pretty but outside is a technicolor nightmare that looks like someone tied horses to the contrast slider and fired a rifle

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it also annoys me when people say that.
    I'm not the super-explosive-I-gonna-kill-you kinda guy, but I also have to /facepalm everytime I lose terribly due to a horrible team.
    But then again, you really should relax - there's no penalty for losing, for one and WoW isn't the competitive game you probably are looking for in the first place. It's full of bad players which you cannot sort out and does require teamwork which in random BG's will never be present.

That being said - you should relax and find new joy. Follow some dumbass players and see how badly they play, that's a lot of fun. I'm a healer and I usually search for the worst guy and try to keep him alive as long as I can, while laughing hysterically in real life over his massive amounts of failing, haha.

Yes, I am a bad kinda guy, but the point is that WoW really shouldn't get you that much.
    And by the end of the day, I also hate losing, but at least I got a good amount of laughter out of it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Discipline priests we heard you like shields that heal, so we put shield in your shield so you can heal while you heal.
    For the first half of geological time our ancestors were bacteria. Most creatures still are bacteria, and each one of our trillions of cells is a colony of bacteria.
    Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Scubasage View Post
    True, but the majority of people I see in-game that use the phrase "it's just a game" are players who are massively under preforming and want to use that as an excuse for their unwillingness to improve, just like the phrase "I'm a casual". A shadow priest in 4.1, during a ZA run, was pulling 4-5K DPS. Playing a priest myself, I offered some suggestions in whisper. He goes "lol, it's just a game, I only play casually, I don't care about doing good"
    First of all, my sympathies for seeing those people.
    Personally I have no problem if they want to play their own less efficient way, as long as they play solo. Once you enter the MMO part of things, either pick up your game to at least decent levels, or don't bother joining and possibly ruining other people's fun, and or wasting their time.
    I hate the definition people seem to have for casual though. Casual just means they play less. It doesn't mean they need to suck. Therefore the "I'm a casual" shouldn't be part of the equation.

I think it's a powerful and suitable phrase. Broadly speaking, a game can be defined as:

"An activity engaged in for diversion or amusement"

To each his own: some play to be the best, others play to unwind. Personally, I feel it's not worth playing to be the best unless you're sure it's for you. I hate how much of my time this game has eaten up over the years, and it pains me to contemplate that I have let something that is largely pointless become the focal point of my life. I also loathe how it grips me sometimes, and propels me into a state of impotent rage. I think it's potentially great for the occasional weekend evening with friends, but if you let it become more than a hobby, you may end up regretting it.

I think this phrase is important to hear from time to time, because it reminds us that nothing, especially not a game (presumably) designed for fun and amusement, should be taken that seriously. If you get so mad playing this game you feel ready to kill someone, it's no longer a game.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2011-07-14 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    Alot of people that play wow need to be reminded its just a game. Such as the ones that act like quitting wow is committing suicide and they write a suicide note on the forums saying they cant go on playing in such a cruel cold world were blizzard does not care about them and so on.

Deleted
    I've stopped my subscription cos' theres far too many unpleasant players, if the meek inherit the earth, I really wish it would bloody hurry up and happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Primi View Post
    Well ,the fact is...its just a game.
    B) Shouting,insulting the others,getting your adrenaline pump up <---- There is something wrong that need to be checked..asap because...this is just a game.
    Playing a sport and playing a video game can both give you an adrenaline rush so I fail to see the difference between either (other than the obvious health benefits of playing a sport). Killing that boss for the first time or winning EotS can give a small rush and can feel almost as good as scoring a homerun in softball.

Again I am not providing any excuses for being an ass. I'm just deflating the trolling statement "it's just a game".