Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    100lbs anime cosplay nerds
    What's wrong with being 100 pounds, anime, cosplay and being a nerd?

Deleted
    "It's just a game" is appropriate in some instances, inappropriate in others. Specifically, when people over-react to losing, dying etc, it might do them good to remember that its just a game. I understand frustration, and tbh its why I dont PVP much any more, and why I barely ever pug, but some people simply take it too far for a game. It's just a game, bro.

On the other hand, I think its a completely inappropriate excuse for acting like a total dick, and I've seen that a lot. Got scammed? "Get over it, its just a game." Someone griefing? "lol umad? Its just a game." Joined random dungeon for the healer to go afk for 20 mins? "Take it easy, its just a game." These people use "its just a game" to rationalise their own sense of entitlement at the expense of everyone else. What they really mean is "I do it because I don't have to face any consequences, because its just a game".

10+ Year Old Account
    In general, saying "it's just a game" isn't to make you HAPPY as much as put it into perspective for you. In general, we all experience strong emotions, and lose sight of the big picture when we get involved in a competitive situation.

Saying "It's just a game" is to remind you (and the rest of us) that in the grand scheme of things, even if you are getting down or angry because of a failed dungeon group or PVP losses, it's NOT that important. You have your health, your home, your job, friends, food, family...etc. It's just to help you calm down - because while we understand your rage (we all rage about it from time to time) we just want to help you get back to reality. Sometimes our entertainment lets us down - but letting that failure consume you is just a waste of energy.

If you want to remain mad about it, feel free to do so - but it's instinct that humans will attempt to soothe and comfort each other, so don't get mad at us for trying!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgar View Post
    "It's just a game" is appropriate in some instances, inappropriate in others. Specifically, when people over-react to losing, dying etc, it might do them good to remember that its just a game. I understand frustration, and tbh its why I dont PVP much any more, and why I barely ever pug, but some people simply take it too far for a game. It's just a game, bro.

On the other hand, I think its a completely inappropriate excuse for acting like a total dick, and I've seen that a lot. Got scammed? "Get over it, its just a game." Someone griefing? "lol umad? Its just a game." Joined random dungeon for the healer to go afk for 20 mins? "Take it easy, its just a game." These people use "its just a game" to rationalise their own sense of entitlement at the expense of everyone else. What they really mean is "I do it because I don't have to face any consequences, because its just a game".
    Yeah. I'll agree with this. There's a big difference between getting angry and raging to the point of screaming, cursing, throwing things etc. If you've been guilty of the latter, you should appropriately be reminded that it's just a game. However, being noticeably stressed out over ingame events such as being scammed, being lied to or cheated, wiping on a boss 12 times in a night because the same 2 people keep failing at the same thing... yeah. That's justifiable. All part of the game.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time, people who are raging are ruining fun..not bad or new players. At least in my experience.
    I have no reason to be mad before someone start sucking on purpose. I can't tell about the players you played, but I don't think anybody would rage for no reason.

there's a specific track for old men with osteoporosis?
    You missed the "if" on my post.

do you even know what a public track is? do you know what a city park is? do you know that it means anyone can use it?
    Yes, I do, but I thought it was an analogy. If you really want to discuss legal right of old people, I suggest you to start other thread, I promise you I'll be there.
    And again, I know that "anyone can use" public stuff, but I'm talking about respect, not rights.

also, how do you distinguish someone who is genuinely playing the game as opposed to someone being an asshole and losing on purpose? were talking about a few bgs here, how can you tell if someone is 'improving' at the game within a few BGs?
    The easier way to know who is failing on purpose is when you try to help "hey dude, maybe you should try to interrupt pally's heals next time" and the guy answers "YOUR MOM!!!". But there are several ways to distinguish newbies and scrubs.

---------- Post added 2011-07-21 at 12:55 PM ----------

Just reinforcing this, when you lose in a BG or wipe in a raid, you shouldn't get all pissy and emotional. Plenty of other people are "spending a small portion of their life playing wow" and you don't see them whining when they lose do you?
    Just because some people don't complain, it doesn't mean they are right about not complaining.