Thread: Avatar help!

Every time I have a high quality picture, I try and resize it for my avatar and it looks fine until I upload it and then it looks all crappy and grainy. What am I doing wrong?
    Also, How do I save things with transparent backgrounds?

Im using a trial version of photoshop.

| Pm Signature Requests Closed. | My work |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowflutterpie View Post
    Every time I have a high quality picture, I try and resize it for my avatar and it looks fine until I upload it and then it looks all crappy and grainy. What am I doing wrong?
    Also, How do I save things with transparent backgrounds?

Im using a trial version of photoshop.
    I only use GIMP (not photo shop) so this may be wrong, but try saving it as a BMP, That will make it save transparency and the quality is better,

the only issue is that BMP file sizes are bigger than, say, jpgs, so you have to keep it under 10 kb

edit: I forgot, PNGs will also work, and I believe they are smaller file sizes, so that may be the better option.
    Last edited by Caiden; 2011-07-15 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiden View Post
    I only use GIMP (not photo shop) so this may be wrong, but try saving it as a BMP, That will make it save transparency and the quality is better,

the only issue is that BMP file sizes are bigger than, say, jpgs, so you have to keep it under 10 kb

edit: I forgot, PNGs will also work, and I believe they are smaller file sizes, so that may be the better option.
    ^. like OP: Save as PNG, will work for what you are looking for

15+ Year Old Account
    If the avatar is above 10kb it will be resized / reduced quality until it meets the 10kb mark
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Thanks for all your help guys

| Pm Signature Requests Closed. | My work |