Deleted

Absorb hierarchy?

Last weekend I got rid of my shadow spec and tried disc (thanks again for alle your advice!).

I really like to understand the mechanics of my class, and couldn't find all the information I wanted on the internet (most likely due to poor searching skills).
    So I did some experiments (no animals were harmed, I used those shredders in twilight highlands).

My method may be scientifically questionable, but I am quite sure about the interaction of our own bubbles:

No matter how much time or absorb amount is left on DA and PWS, DA gets used up first.

I don't know if I like it that way, but it shouldn't matter in raids anyway. The damage there should be enough to use up both absorbs and ensure rapture procs.

What I couldn't test yet is the interaction of our bubbles with other classes absorb mechanics. For example a DKs blood shield or a druides savage defence.

Has anyone tried that or knows a source that provides such information?

I know it doesn't really matter, but I am curious :>

For science!

A wild guess would be that shield effects are spent based on when they were applied to their target. So if a paladin mastery shield is applied to a tank, and then followed 2 sec later by a priest Aegis, then followed by a priest PW:Shield - My guess is that the paladin shield is eaten first, then Aegis, and then the PW:S.

This is just what I think would make sense, though. It'd be interesting to see what is actually the case.

An alternative way would be that all absorb effects are simply counted into one "pool" of absorption, where damage taken simply reduces the common absorption pool - of course, smaller shield effects will thus be removed first, regardless of whether they were applied earlier or later than other absorbs. So, for example if a small Aegis worth 1'000 absorb together with a PW:S absorb worth 5'000 health, takes a 1'500 damage hit, the Aegis would be spent and the PW:S would remain with 4'500 health left. Regardless which one was applied first.

Or something.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2011-07-15 at 05:37 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my observations its either like the poster above said, witch ever was applied first OR witch ever shield is smaller gets used first.

I did some testing on this before, but the data is too old to be reliable. The only thing I have read recently is about types of absorbs... that damage specific [i.e.- mage ward] is first, followed by item activated absorbs, followed by "standard" absorbs.

Deleted
    I did some further testing with my friends blood dk but couldn't get clear results. (we didn't have much time)

Mostly his blood shield was used first no matter in which order the effects were applied, but it wasn't completely reilable: Sometimes DA came first if the blood shield was way bigger than the DA absorb.

Need to test it again, but it seems like absorb amount could be the relevant factor (smaller shields come first).

15+ Year Old Account
    the blood shields are specific absorbs (limited to physical damage) so they would always be used before universal absorbs like DA and PW:S

Deleted
    It certainly used to be based on the order the shields were applied, with the most recent being used up first (odd huh?)
    it only came to light because of val'anyr and problems with combatlog parses.

It used to go something like this:
    Priest PW:S on target X
    Tree applies val'anyr shield to target X
    Target X takes some damage and breaks both shields
    Tree takes credit from all absorbs present on the target.

However no idea if that worked the other way round too (priest taking credit for val'anyr) or which order the shields were actually broken in.

All in all this is a rather pointless post. Nice to reminisce though