Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Problems with Xbox 360 slim

Sup guys.

First, i hope this is right in the Video Games Section.

My old Xbox 360 is broken (ring of death). Today, my brother came home and gave me an all new Xbox 360 slim edition (the little black one). But i got 2 big problems with it.

1.: I realized that thing has no slot for the old Xbox 360 harddrives, and no slots for memory cards. Is there any way to transfer all my savegames from the old 360 to the new one, allthough the old one is broken? I got savegames for over 40 games, including games like the elder scrolls: oblivion and Fallout 3, wich i spent a lot of time on. I really dont want to lose all my beautiful saves =(

2.: I tried to install the addons for elder scrolls: oblivion, but it tells me it can only be installed on an harddrive, wich is obviously not possible since i am not able to put an harddrive on the 360 slim version.

So, what the hell am i supposed to do? I would be very happy if you could help me out.

Ps sorry for my not so good english
    Last edited by LegendaryDude; 2011-07-16 at 12:12 AM.

You can buy a cord that transfers harddrive data to another harddrive from Gamestop I think.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarim View Post
    You can buy a cord that transfers harddrive data to another harddrive from Gamestop I think.
    They have that, Microsoft did away with the memory cards, you can now format a usb stick (up to 8gb I think) and save data to that.
    They have new slimmer hard drives you can buy to fit the smaller slot.

Or if you want to get technical you can take apart the old hard drive, plug it to a sata port, get your saves off, format the usb stick and manually move them over.
    Last edited by Conkersman; 2011-07-16 at 12:20 AM.

I had the same issue when my old gen xbox got the red ring and i bought a slim version. If you are not afraid to fiddle around with your xbox here is how you can transfer everything to your new xbox. You have to pull apart the enclosure for the old xbox hard drive as shown in the youtube video: ''How to put old Xbox 360 HDD into & upgrade Xbox 360 Slim 4GB'' (would link but i don't have access to that feature yet!)

You need some pretty small tools to accomplish that so you might not be able to but once you get access to the actual hard drive you can safely plug it in the slot that is hidden under the xbox 360 slim and then transfer all the saved games to the 4 gigs of on board flash memory. Since its not rigged perfectly i would suggest removing the drive once you have done the transfer.

hope this helped!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for your help guys. I watched the vid you mentioned screwshoes, and i think i will try it out. Will log back in tomorrow and tell you if it worked. Going to play some portal now^^

good night everyone

hey first off buy the transfer cable and you can transfer everything off the old harddrive. as for any DLC you might have to go to the microsoft website and transfer licenses to the new console, you can redownload or transfer the DLC and play it as well if your online.

10+ Year Old Account
    The old xbox360 drives actually DO fit, just strip them from the case and plug them in, be sure the xbox doesn't "get bumped" or anything while moving files

---------- Post added 2011-07-15 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Conkersman View Post
    They have that, Microsoft did away with the memory cards, you can now format a usb stick (up to 8gb I think) and save data to that.
    They have new slimmer hard drives you can buy to fit the smaller slot.

Or if you want to get technical you can take apart the old hard drive, plug it to a sata port, get your saves off, format the usb stick and manually move them over.
    Ah, someone beat me to it

---------- Post added 2011-07-15 at 09:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mystik View Post
    hey first off buy the transfer cable and you can transfer everything off the old harddrive. as for any DLC you might have to go to the microsoft website and transfer licenses to the new console, you can redownload or transfer the DLC and play it as well if your online.
    Pretty certain things are associated with your XBL gamertag
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Pretty certain things are associated with your XBL gamertag
    Yes and no.

I had goten a new xbox a year after having my old one, any dlc i bought on the first one i could not use on the second one unless i was connected to xbox live. I think they implemented the license xfer since this happened to me.

Couple of things you can do:

You can get the 250gig hard drive for the slim

Or

You can modify a regular Xbox 360 hard drive to fit in the slim. Look up youtube vids for this one.

The hard drive slot is on the end closest to the disk drive. You just have to take the vent thing off.

10+ Year Old Account
    So today, i watched the vid screwshoes linked again, and just did what has been explained there. It works perfect. I even had the right screwdriver for those fucking clockwork screws^^ Thanks again for the good help guys. Will play some Dead Space now. See ya