Thread: WiFi Adapter

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

WiFi Adapter

About to buy my computer, except I am far away from my router and will need a wifi adapter. Debating just a usb or pci card but I have no idea where to start.

Anyone able to recommend a decent one? Just looking for something fairly cheap since it will only be for ~6 months

Newegg adapters > http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...eless-Adapters

Grab a PCI one for sure they're more reliable and overall much better quality than USB ones, other than that grab a 'G' card, no point investing in 'N' unless you'll be really far from your router (and your router supports it) as you'll only be using it for a short time.

Make sure the card you pick will easily support the range you need it to (and add a couple yards for every wall the signal will pass through, especially thick ones).

How far away from the router? I have only had bad experiences with playing wow over wifi (getting disconnected 20 seconds after every 6th MH trash wave spawned in wasn't fun, otherwise high latency, disconnections when entering capital cities that for some reason stopped when I plugged a wire into the back of my computer), are you sure getting a 15 metre ethernet wire isn't an option?

But yeah, don't bother with a USB card.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Router is on the 3rd floor, I'm on the 1st floor about 60 feet away.

I would need maybe a 20-25m cable to run under the carpet, through a wall and down to the floor I'm on. Big house and the room the routers in is the only room where a signal reaches the entire house.

Yeah you might have signal issues, if you can do it, the cable would most likely work better, and is under max distance for a CAT5/5e/6 cable easily.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just picked up a 100ft cat5 from amazon, will have to try and hide it a little lol.

If the signal does not reach, look into a repeater. You put a repeater exactly halfway from your computer to the router and it boosts the signal.