Laptop display won't ~display~ anything

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW265F, and when I sat down after work to peruse my favorite sites, I opened up the laptop and hit the power button, to find that the monitor wasn't doing anything. I got the sounds of the computer booting up and everything, but the screen remained black. I hooked it up to my TV with an HDMI cable, and I get a display out of that just fine (it's how I'm writing this, after all), but removing the plug doesn't turn the monitor on at all.

Did I accidentally hit a key combination I'm not seeing? I tried going into the display options to see if there's a way to manually turn off the monitor backlight or something, but I couldn't see anything.

Halp, please!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the backlight on your laptop just off, or is there actually no display at all?
    (You'll have to look very closely and carefully.)

If possible can you take a picture of the screen with a camera and upload it?

10+ Year Old Account
    could possible be the wires connecting the monitor or screen to the hdd and cpu and im not to technically past the wires connecting

10+ Year Old Account
    press the FN key and what ever key shows a monitor with vertical lines on either side, usually F6

Deleted
    It's so annoying when some random problem happens to your computer out of the blue ... Especially when it was working fine a few hours before ..

If you can still connect the other display, try the lap top makers forums if there is any..

Display can just give up with no warning they can just give up the ghost...But my laptop doesn't have any random feature that turns the display off, or stops power going to it..

but maybe in the display setting, there might be a check box that changes display so you might have ticked something in there..

if you're handy with a screw driver maybe taking the case off and taking a look see, opening and closing the lid might have pulled the plugs away from the monitor display resistors that usually lay just just underneath the screen ..if there is warranty still left don't do that, just take it back to the store..
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-07-16 at 10:35 AM.

I was able to tell this morning that there's stuff being displayed on the screen, so the backlight is off. I don't have an option to turn it back on though, at least not on the keyboard. I couldn't find an option in the computer options, though.

Currently I'm using Windows 7.
    Last edited by halmotors; 2011-07-16 at 12:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    I was able to tell this morning that there's stuff being displayed on the screen, so the backlight is off. I don't have an option to turn it back on though, at least not on the keyboard. I couldn't find an option in the computer options, though.

Currently I'm using Windows 7.
    It'll be a "combo function key"

Fn + F1
    Fn + F5
    FN + F6

Something like that.

None of my Function keys have the option for turning the backlight on and off, though. The only options I have are for Mute, Voume Up/Down, Brightness Up/Down (which I've toyed with endlessly), Display Mode (whether I want my display to mirror onto the projector, or extend onto it), Zoom In/Out, Hibernate (I'm assuming, at least that's what it seems it does), Scr Lk (which does nothing), Paude and Break. That's it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 12:50 PM ----------

I may just have to take the damn thing to Best Buy (it's still under warranty) and tell them to fix it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately it could be as simple as the back light has burned out. If it is still under warranty they can send it away for you on your behalf but they won't do the repair in house. What is 30 minutes to replace an LCD panel becomes a drawn out process spreading across several weeks.

Backup your data or remove the hard drive before letting it go back to Best Buy, don't want to lose any information from their negligence.