Catalyst Control Center

Does anyone else have the program Catalyst Control Center. It came with AMD HD 6900 video card and it lets me overclock my computer as well as other things. It also tells me the temperature of my GPU as well as my fan speed and activity. According to CCC, my gpu temperature is always at 100-104 degress Celsius, yes Celsius. Is that normal for a gpu? My computer came with a 10% overclock but i havent adjusted anything and I am wondering if that temperature is normal/safe, and if i need to do something about it.

Thanks

its not safe. disable the overdrive feature immediatly and get a good waterblock or fan or sumthing for the video card. could be just crap cooling in your case, if u dont know what you are doing its better to take it to a shop and let them fix it for u.

most cases with extreme heat, the heat is not properly dissipating from the card to the heatsink cos the factory thermal grease hasnt been applied properly or is just total rubbish.
    Last edited by hellboyy; 2011-07-16 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    It's definately very high, and not good at all, how long has it been that warm?

It really shouldn't be possible to get that high even on stock fans o.O
    My 6950 is overclocked from 800 -> 950mhz and doesn't get past 60c even with just the 1 reference-design fan on it..
    It could be your fan speed settings are messed up... my card is msi so I use msi afterburner for custom fan speed settings.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-07-16 at 05:05 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

every time i turn on wow, it says its at 100 degrees celsius, right now i have the high performance gpu clock settings at 625, high perofmrance memory clock settings at 1250 and the power control settings at -6%. an it still says its 102 degrees right now. I have liquid cooling and my fan is running all the time, but when i put my hand by the fans, there isnt any hot air coming out.

If your GPU is running at 100 degrees Celsius during a full load, that is definitely not normal. Disable overclock and improve airflow in your case, which might be accomplished by simply rearranging cable clutter, or you could need another case fan. Or you might have a defective card, if your GPU fan isn't working properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    If your GPU is running at 100 degrees Celsius during a full load, that is definitely not normal. Disable overclock and improve airflow in your case, which might be accomplished by simply rearranging cable clutter, or you could need another case fan. Or you might have a defective card, if your GPU fan isn't working properly.
    Is WoW running alright even though it says 100C? if not, you probably have a fan problem.
    If it is running well, then you probably have a temperature sensor problem
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

WoW is running just fine and its not a temperature sensor problem. I have 2 different programs and both say that its 100 degrees. Its also not a fan problem because I can hear the fans ramp up to 100%, and i can feel the airflow coming out of my computer. I called AMD and they said it was a GPU problem, so I had to call the company i got it from and they are sending me a new video card. So hopefully that fixes it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick question, since I am getting a new card sent to me, would continuing to play WoW with the card at 100 degrees hurt my computer? Basically should I hold off on playing games until my new card gets here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flasper View Post
    WoW is running just fine and its not a temperature sensor problem. I have 2 different programs and both say that its 100 degrees.
    I think what the poster above you ment, was that mayby the sensor on the card itself is faulty, not the programs you are using. as you said that you dont feel heat comming from the GPU when it is at 100% load @ 100*C, and your games arnt having taking a performance hit, in my opinion (im not a tech wiz) i agree and say its a sensor problem.

Quote Originally Posted by flasper View Post
    WoW is running just fine and its not a temperature sensor problem. I have 2 different programs and both say that its 100 degrees. Its also not a fan problem because I can hear the fans ramp up to 100%, and i can feel the airflow coming out of my computer. I called AMD and they said it was a GPU problem, so I had to call the company i got it from and they are sending me a new video card. So hopefully that fixes it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick question, since I am getting a new card sent to me, would continuing to play WoW with the card at 100 degrees hurt my computer? Basically should I hold off on playing games until my new card gets here?
    When you put your hand behind the video card's exhaust, is the air coming out hot, or just a little warm? If it's just a little warm, I'd definitely wager it's a physical sensor issue and the video card is fine overall. However, replacing the video card is still a good idea, because then you don't have to deal with the noise coming from the fan being at 100% constantly.

I don't feel hot air, or even warm air coming out of my computer so it probably is the sensor, but im getting a new card sent to me.