Thread: SSD Controllers

10+ Year Old Account

SSD Controllers

Ok, so I am actually paying some close attention to SSD's now (even if I still think they're not worth the money for the size they're at.)

But I've seen that lots of people here have said to "avoid using XXX controller" So I wanted to compile a list of specific brands/models/controller combos to look out for in the event I do sway and get one.

Currently on the list is the
    Controllers:
    Intel = Thumbs up?
    Marvel= Thumbs down?
    SandFoce= Thumbs up?

Brands + Models:
    Intel 510 = Thumbs up
    OCZ Vertex 3 = Thumbs up
    OCZ Agility 3 = Thumbs up

Deleted
    There are no particular problems I'm aware of for the Marvel SSD controller. What you're likely confusing with is the Marvel S-ATA controller, which is quite bad.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-07-16 at 06:04 PM.

OP, are you talking about the processors on the SSDs or the SATA controllers on the motherboard/in a separate card?
    Last edited by HolgerDK; 2011-07-16 at 06:19 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    There are no particular problems I'm aware of for the Marvel SSD controller. What you're likely confusing with is the Marvel S-ATA controller, which is quite bad.
    Would you really plug a SSD into a standard 40pin IDE controller?

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 07:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    OP, are you talking about the processors on the SSDs or the SATA controllers on the motherbord/in a separate card?
    I suppose this is where I show my ignorance? :P

Didn't know SSD's had processors... I understood they had logic units to determine exactly where the data goes etc... but I'd have never considered those to be processors.

Also I suspect I mean the SATA controller.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I'm talking about the 6gbps SATA controllers that non-sandy bridge systems have. The vast majority of these are Marvel based, which is known for not being able to properly deliver 6gbps speeds, and increased IO delay even compared to the chipset native 3gbps ports.

Result is that 6gbps drives underperform, quite significantly in some cases - and even 3gbps drives won't be able to reach the speeds they are supposed to. Even hard drives are known to be slower on these controllers, although the difference is much less obvious.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-07-16 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about the 6gbps SATA controllers that non-sandy bridge systems have. The vast majority of these are Marvel based, which is known for not being able to properly deliver 6gbps speeds, and increased IO delay even compared to the chipset native 3gbps ports.
    Ok well that clears up a few things :-)

Well, the SandForce based SSDs do on-the-fly based compression of data going to the drive, and that requires some processing power. Its part of what makes SF-based drives so fast, and also what can hinder their performance when encountering uncompressable data like movies.

Intels in-chipset SATA controllers are very good AFAIK, dont know other brands of SATA controllers.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 07:17 PM ----------

I suppose this is where I show my ignorance? :P

Didn't know SSD's had processors... I understood they had logic units to determine exactly where the data goes etc... but I'd have never considered those to be processors.

Also I suspect I mean the SATA controller.
    Except Sandforce is an SSD controller, ie on the SSD itself. It literally is a processor because it compresses data on the fly before writing it to the drive. And where did you get a standard PATA controller from either of those replies? O_o
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

damn i thought this thread was going to be about the band..
    Metal Crusader

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Except Sandforce is an SSD controller, ie on the SSD itself. It literally is a processor because it compresses data on the fly before writing it to the drive. And where did you get a standard PATA controller from either of those replies? O_o
    From a lack of understanding of the system combined with the idea that only SATA and PATA connections existed in the home environment thus if you didn't mean SATA it means you men't PATA.

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Get Google Chrome or another browser with built-in translator.
    Read
    This: http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/14204-ssd-sommaren-2011
    And
    This: http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/14220-firmwarebugg-drabbar-intel-320-serien-ssd-lagringsenheter-krymper-till-8-mb

Not even the 320-series is spared!
    I'm reading.. but i'm not understanding any of it....I suspect because google translate isn't so hot when it comes to "tech" stuff....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Not even the 320-series is spared!
    Not that again. Why are people failing to notice that the issue was reported April (2011-04), with Sweclockers first picking it up now in July (2011-07). All SSDs and HDDs have problems - but Sweclockers fucked up big time in failing to understand the scope of the issue. Theres only a handful of posts in total at their source, many from the same users.

Not that again. Why are people failing to notice that the issue was reported May (2011-04), with us now being in July (2011-07). All SSDs have problems - but Sweclockers fucked up big time in failing to understand the scope of the issue. Theres only a handful of posts in total at their source, many from the same users.
    An issue is an issue. The matter is controversy, and rumors spawned. Your information may very well be correct though, even though this is the first time I hear about it.

From a lack of understanding of the system combined with the idea that only SATA and PATA connections existed in the home environment thus if you didn't mean SATA it means you men't PATA.
    Except the quoted post said S-ATA, and you responded with 40 pin....
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the quoted post said S-ATA, and you responded with 40 pin....
    being the alternative to Serial ATA.

Ok, so I am actually paying some close attention to SSD's now (even if I still think they're not worth the money for the size they're at.)

But I've seen that lots of people here have said to "avoid using XXX controller" So I wanted to compile a list of specific brands/models/controller combos to look out for in the event I do sway and get one.

Currently on the list is the
    Controllers:
    Intel = Thumbs up?
    Marvel= Thumbs down?
    SandFoce= Thumbs up?

Brands + Models:
    Intel 510 = Thumbs up
    OCZ Vertex 3 = Thumbs up
    OCZ Agility 3 = Thumbs up
    If you buy something in the very near future you will want to plug your SSD in to an Intel SATA III controller. The Marvel runs at 2/3 the bandwidth of the Intel.

Another good SSD that you missed is the Crucial M4 series.

being the alternative to Serial ATA.
    *knocks on Djinni's head* Even with lack of knowledge that was still out of knowhere, but anyways. Actually, I DO have a 2.5" PATA SSD sitting on my desk, so they do exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    *knocks on Djinni's head* Even with lack of knowledge that was still out of knowhere, but anyways. Actually, I DO have a 2.5" PATA SSD sitting on my desk, so they do exist.
    ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

---------- Post added 2011-07-16 at 11:15 PM ----------

So what Brands/Models do I look out for then?