Just finished my first build and already have a bit of buyer's remorse.

First and major one. I have a relatively weak mobo when compared to the rest of the system. I didn't realize it at the time, but now I'm disappointed with it. There is no room to upgrade anything on it at all. Only one PCI express 2.0 slot. So no SLI or crossfire down the road for me.

So I have a couple of questions.

Let's say I wanted to replace the motherboard and gpu with something more in line to the other gear. Would this be difficult? What kind of things would I need to do? I doubt it's as simple as unplugging everything and exchanging the boards.

Could the old mobo be used in another build? And if so, could I use the same copy of windows in both the refurbished and the hand-me-down build? Or would I need to buy another copy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdpang View Post
    First and major one. I have a relatively weak mobo when compared to the rest of the system. I didn't realize it at the time, but now I'm disappointed with it. There is no room to upgrade anything on it at all. Only one PCI express 2.0 slot. So no SLI or crossfire down the road for me.

So I have a couple of questions.

Let's say I wanted to replace the motherboard and gpu with something more in line to the other gear. Would this be difficult? What kind of things would I need to do? I doubt it's as simple as unplugging everything and exchanging the boards.

Could the old mobo be used in another build? And if so, could I use the same copy of windows in both the refurbished and the hand-me-down build? Or would I need to buy another copy?
    depending on your PSU and case room, you can always upgrade to a dual gpu card such as the HD6990 and the GTX-590

you can replace teh MB, it's not hard, but unless you want to buy a new CPU, you need to find one with a matching socket

yes you can use the old MB for another build

legally, windows can only be on one computer at a time

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is it if you've had it less than 14days, chances are you can take it back for a refund/replacement.

You'll have to replace CPU heatsink, CPU, RAM, GPU and anything else directly attached to it that you want to keep. Not more beyond that though. Rest's just unscrewing the board loose and take it off.

And the shield on the back of your case, but eh.

I guess for those curious I'll post my build. I was basically buying a kit from someone who tried cutting corners to save me money, but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of potential in the cpu department, especially since I'm not about to try OCing with the stock cooler.

NZXT Phantom
    i7 2600k
    EVGA GTX 550ti
    intel H67 LGA 1155 motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121506)
    1 tb HDD
    128gb SSD
    8gb (two four-gig sticks) of generic RAM
    Some generic 800w psu

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Considering you can't even OC on an H67 anyway...

Also, if they cut corners to save you money... why did they get an 800W PSU with a single video card config? Seems to me like they didn't even know what they were doing when they built that for you at all.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Really strange build imo.

I know it's strange. I wasn't really sure what I was getting at the time, but the more I learn the more I think how wonky it is and how much I want to fix it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you would've been better off posting spec's and requesting info here than letting your friend go to town for you. Your friend has some working knowledge, enough to screw things up at least. In the end you have a killer processor with a shite board that might as well have come out of some generic HP, and a way over the top PSU. The nice thing is with a motherboard swap at least a socket 1155 P67 board with dual PCI-E lanes you could grab another 550ti and make use of that 800W PSU. Then for $30 you can buy a Coolermaster Hyperion 212+ CPU cooler and overclock that i7.

My plan was to buy another wonky looking build, something like an i3 cpu with dual radeon 6850s and a nice mobo, but mix and match the two builds so that I came out with one great and one decent setup. And then give the decent one as a gift to a family member or someone who wouldn't know they were missing out anyway.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you're just planning on giving away the old mobo with a new cpu/ram/ etc might as well get an inexpensive chip for it.
    Intel G620 2.6Ghz Dual Core still uses the 1155 socket but is only $78 rather than the ~$120 for an i3.

Get an Asus P67 board (Pro or Deluxe). Problem solved.