Page 1 of 2
LastLast

gaming as workout

it seems like the more i game the less i work out. has anyone tried using the sports games on the wii to shape up?? if so which ones work best??

Goldeneye! The rage about noobtubers or full auto shotgun users is just the best workout ever!
    Seriously: Don't think that the stuff you do at Wii Fit or how that stuff is called helps alot, you might consider doing real workout

Personally the wii is just fun and i dont think it will ever help that much in 'working out'. If it did gyms would close since everyone could work out on the wii right?

Anyways from personal experience go mental at Boxing on wii sports gives you a dead arm after about an hour

Actually when I was in high school, I played Dance Dance Revolution pretty religiously. Play that for a few hours and tell me you didn't burn any calories.

Wii Fit actually works really well. There are professional trainers that include it in their regular workouts. Wii Sports is another good one, Boxing burns the most calories, followed by Tennis. Some googling will reveal actual work out routines using Wii Fit/Sports. Still, it isn't a replacement for working out.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Just go to the gym or walk, you can get outside

If I didn't have neighbors underneath my apartment, I'd be tempted to get that NFL Training Camp game for the Wii. Not as a workout, mind you, I already hit the gym 5-6 days a week, but because I like football and it sounds fun.

You can turn any game into a workout — get an exercise bike and pedal while you play.

I find doing cardio is a lot easier if I'm distracted from staring at the numbers though. That's why I stare at the TV while I'm running on the treadmill. If only the gym didn't always have Fox News on, I might find it easier to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxus View Post
    I find doing cardio is a lot easier if I'm distracted from staring at the numbers though. That's why I stare at the TV while I'm running on the treadmill. If only the gym didn't always have Fox News on, I might find it easier to get into.
    My gym plays the science channel! Yay for an incentive to keep running on the treadmill.

Deleted
    Those can be decent cardio, so go for it. If that's what'll turn you onto exercising more.

Deleted
    If thats what it'll take to get you more exercising then go for it Personally i prefer a gym as you can get all types of exercise there. Maybe even ask some friends if they wanna take it up with you, i find it much easier with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by kells8383 View Post
    it seems like the more i game the less i work out. has anyone tried using the sports games on the wii to shape up?? if so which ones work best??
    Haha, I use the yoga one.. It's amazing

Working out... is the game.
    If you do it right and actually have a goal/plan its really rather easy. You go in, do what you have to do every day or every other day... It feels kinda getting VP capped if I'm honest with you. Theres really not a "raid" equivalent but I'd be lying if warming up with your old max doesn't feel damn good.

I've never played the wii sports games but I've heard of people having some success with things like DDR that get them into cardio.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work out each morning first thing before work or gaming or anything. I also trained myself to use downtime on games like WoW by doing push-ups, crunchs, pull-ups, jumping jacks, or lift while im in LFD queue. Same with games like CoD or Halo, I'll excercise between matches lol. Fun stuff!
    Survival is Key

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Actually when I was in high school, I played Dance Dance Revolution pretty religiously. Play that for a few hours and tell me you didn't burn any calories.
    DDR ftw! That game is even more fun when you're drunk (not that alcohol is helping you burn any calories lol). Seriously though, there are games that can help you burn calories (there are even actual fitness work-out games) but the best thing to do is take breaks from the games and get up and do something active.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    My gym plays the science channel! Yay for an incentive to keep running on the treadmill.
    Doesn't work for treadmills, but for stationary bikes I always bring a book. If it is a really good book I can make it close to an hour on the bike without realizing it because I am into the book. Then again I am a huge reader, so this distraction won't work for everybody.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

My old gym used to have a Wii in the room where all the machines were to work out with, I was tempted to get Wii Fit myself and try it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Yeah but most public places don't even have the TV loud enough to hear. Never been to a gym but I guess it can't be much different than a restaurant.

The above post about play Dance Dance Revolution is right. You'll burn off some crazy fat by playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxus View Post
    If only the gym didn't always have Fox News on, I might find it easier to get into.
    You can usually ask the people working at the gym to change the channel. That way you don't have to sit through something that grueling.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayzee View Post
    Personally the wii is just fun and i dont think it will ever help that much in 'working out'. If it did gyms would close since everyone could work out on the wii right?
    There's only so much one can do with body weight exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by Albi1515 View Post
    You can usually ask the people working at the gym to change the channel. That way you don't have to sit through something that grueling.
    The issue is there are so many die hard "faux" news types here that such a move is blasphemy. I'd rather just stare at the espnnews channel on with closed captions.