Exclamation [Help Request - Advanced]: Hardware / Power Save Mode

The Computer:

The PC in question is a Lenovo 3000 J Series. Specifically, it's a model type 7387-26U. For reference, you may find an official Hardware Maintenance Manual by clicking here: Hardware Maintenance Manual. (HMM).

CPU: AMD CPU of the time. (I honestly can't recall the specifics atm).
    RAM: PC-4200 DDR2: 1GB (x2 512MB)
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 512MB 8600GS

Standard PSU that comes with factory made PC's.
    Onboard sound w/ additional front panel capabilities.
    SD Card Reader
    X1 DVD Drive
    X1 Sata HDD
    Modem Card

The Problem:

The computer immediately starts up with the monitor in power save mode (standby). After a brief startup time the system sound beeps twice. According to the HMM this designates a CMOS problem. After that there is nothing to do except push (not hold) the power button to shut it down.

The First Solution:

I simply started testing hardware piece by piece. It came down to where the onboard VGA had appeared to go out. How did I derive this? I threw in a spare PCI-E GPU and it fired right up, no problems. So I bought another PCI-E (the one listed above) and even gave the PC a fresh installation of Windows XP Professional, updated the system, drivers, etc, etc... and it worked fine. For a week.

Solving The Problem. . . Again:

The issue isn't solved. I've run into a dead end. I have done a number of things and it still is doing the same exact thing: immediately starting up with the monitor in power save mode and giving two system beeps. For reference, here is what I have tried:

• Field stripping the PC and thoroughly cleaning it out. (Not a fix, but was good to get out of the way.)
    • Tested the onboard video adapter just to see if the first solution was a fluke. Same result: no video.
    • Removed 1 stick of RAM.
    • Swapped RAM sticks.
    • Put in more RAM with different sticks (2GB: x2 1GB).
    • Reset the BIOS / CMOS by removing the CMOS batter for 10 minutes. Twice.
    • Reset the CMOS by moving the CMOS Recovery Jumper.
    • Booted the PC with bare minimums: CD, HDD, RAM. Extras were removed.
    • Booted with different HDD.
    • Even with monitor on power save mode, I tried getting into setup by various keys: F2, F8, F10, F12, Del (Del is the setup key on the PC). No result.

I'm probably forgetting one or two other options I tried but, frankly, after a few hours I decided to give it a break and post here for any new insights I might get.

Other Info / My Guess:

The BIOS was previously updated successfully. Along with the mentioned re-installation of Windows XP all system and hardware drivers were installed with the most up-to-date available. The system worked perfectly after the purchase an installation of the new GPU, but as I said... only for a week.

My guess at this point is it has come down to the system board itself. Any help would greatly be appreciated and if there's any questions that I have not answered, please, by all means ask. Thank you for, at least, taking the time to read this post.

It's sounding like you've done about everything possible.

Usually two beeps refers to memory error, so you can try starting the computer with only one RAM stick inserted in one of the two slots and then move the stick into the other slot. If you can get the computer to boot normally even one time out of ten (didn't specify that one exactly in the first post) you can try to run http://www.memtest.org/ (it's bootable CD image) or use memory test from any live linux CD.

My guess is that 90% certainly it's the motherboard that't fried, or to be more exact something is knocked loose, and installing the new video card knocked it in place for a while. BIOS update probably didn't do it since it has worked fine after doing the flashing. Other 10% besides motherboard is power supply going bad.

On the bright side your computer is so dated that now you have perfect excuse to update it by five years and improve framerate 10-20x.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming I understand you your problem is now that you have no video output and that your keyboard isn't registering your input to enter the BIOS?

Firstly, I would switch the Monitor and GPU for a pair you know works on another system.
    Secondly I would use a PS/2 keyboard, since USB ones often don't initialise until very late in the statup process (especially when there's actually a reason to enter the BIOS.

Other than that I can only really agree with Vesseblah... this is a good excuse to ditch the system and get a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Usually two beeps refers to memory error, so you can try starting the computer with only one RAM stick inserted in one of the two slots and then move the stick into the other slot.
    I tried this, even with totally different sticks of RAM. I swapped sticks, placed only one stick, and then even (as stated) tried two totally different sticks. Likewise, I thought it could be a memory issue but according to the HMM posted in my OP (Page 63) two short beeps refer to a CMOS error. Naturally, as described previously, I then took the necessary steps to do a hard restart on the BIOS and CMOS.

I will, however, take a look at the memtest reference you provided. After all, it is one more thing that I have not tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Assuming I understand you your problem is now that you have no video output and that your keyboard isn't registering your input to enter the BIOS?

Firstly, I would switch the Monitor and GPU for a pair you know works on another system.
    Secondly I would use a PS/2 keyboard, since USB ones often don't initialise until very late in the statup process (especially when there's actually a reason to enter the BIOS.
    You're somewhat correct. There is no video output (the monitor stays in safe mode upon starting up the PC). However the keyboard is being recognized while booting up. (I can toggle the Numlock and when I spam boot keys it eventually beeps at me for pressing it too much).

The monitor I am on is guaranteed to work. The GPU is brand new. I bought it last week or thereabouts.

Any more thoughts and opinions would greatly be appreciated. For clarification, this isn't my computer. It's a friends haha. And, naturally, I have suggested her to just ditch the PC and upgrade it but, as we all know, money doesn't grow on trees. So for now, until I try everything absolutely possible, I'll work on getting this one fixed.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 09:37 PM ----------

Putting this to the front in hopes of finding a possible option (other than the obvious of ditching the PC for a more relevant one).

Quote Originally Posted by Sajakain View Post
    I tried this, even with totally different sticks of RAM. I swapped sticks, placed only one stick, and then even (as stated) tried two totally different sticks. Likewise, I thought it could be a memory issue but according to the HMM posted in my OP (Page 63) two short beeps refer to a CMOS error. Naturally, as described previously, I then took the necessary steps to do a hard restart on the BIOS and CMOS.

I will, however, take a look at the memtest reference you provided. After all, it is one more thing that I have not tried.

You're somewhat correct. There is no video output (the monitor stays in safe mode upon starting up the PC). However the keyboard is being recognized while booting up. (I can toggle the Numlock and when I spam boot keys it eventually beeps at me for pressing it too much).

The monitor I am on is guaranteed to work. The GPU is brand new. I bought it last week or thereabouts.

Any more thoughts and opinions would greatly be appreciated. For clarification, this isn't my computer. It's a friends haha. And, naturally, I have suggested her to just ditch the PC and upgrade it but, as we all know, money doesn't grow on trees. So for now, until I try everything absolutely possible, I'll work on getting this one fixed.

---------- Post added 2011-07-17 at 09:37 PM ----------

Putting this to the front in hopes of finding a possible option (other than the obvious of ditching the PC for a more relevant one).

I have axactly same problem SAJAKAIN what did you do finallt? did you find a way to slove?