Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkagial View Post
    no but the statement could lead to a butterfly effect, which is a Paradox...
    A statement is a statement. If you want context, you add context to the statement to create a separate, elongated statement. In judging whether something is a paradox, you have to take the statement as an isolated string of words. Pick either the statement without context or the statement with context and let that be judged as to whether or not is is paradoxical in nature.

The statement I'm referencing is asking an individual if they have experienced something that they have not experienced. Asking if someone has experienced something they have not experienced is not a logical base for any subsequent questions. Paradoxes require a seemingly logically-based question. That statement is not a paradox.

That's similar to me saying how asking a 19-year-old how his 21st birthday was. That's not a paradox, that's a silly question.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Time is a paradox.

Time is an illusion, albeit a very convincing one. It is unquantifiable and imeasurable because it has no physical existence. It cannot be stretched or bent or reversed. You cannot change it, you can only change yourself and your perception of it.

Deleted
    Well if you go into the future and SEE yourself as a 40 year old, then your going to have to go back at some point and wait for the future. Or another thought would be, what if the 10 year old became the 40 year old?

P.S. The grandfather paradox would be impossible and i think the same applies to this paradox :S
    As said by Gaexion above, time itself is a paradox, we would have to travel faster than light to go back and forward through time and the radiation created would destroy the world anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Time is a paradox.

Time is an illusion, albeit a very convincing one. It is unquantifiable and imeasurable because it has no physical existence. It cannot be stretched or bent or reversed. You cannot change it, you can only change yourself and your perception of it.
    Strange, seeing time isn't the exact same everywhere.

If you go forward in time you remove yourself from the time period... mayhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    I have spontaneously thought of this in the recent past of a whole 4 minutes.

So if one who is 10ish years old goes to the future and meets himself at about 40ish, then would the one at age 40 be able to remember the future up to a point that the past self was in the future?

If the 10 year old is in the future, then that means the 40 year old would have had to travel to the future when he was 10 and then back again. Therefore, once the 10 arrives (let us say he was there for two weeks), the 40 would be able to remember things 2 weeks into the future.

How how he traveled to the future i cannot say, but neither does the grandfather paradox.

Please disregard the current impossibility time travel....
    If this 10 year old person travels into the future why would he meet himself at the age of 40? Unless you are suggesting he travels to another timeline, but then he would have no memory of it because the 10 year old is from another timeline.

assuming he went into the future and stayed there for two weeks, then went back to the point of time he left, he would have two weeks more memory at age 40, but he wouldn't know what would happen later in time past where he is now(at age 40), he'd just have more memories compressed into a shorter time span I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I have spontaneously thought of this in the recent past of a whole 4 minutes.

So if one who is 10ish years old goes to the future and meets himself at about 40ish, then would the one at age 40 be able to remember the future up to a point that the past self was in the future?

If the 10 year old is in the future, then that means the 40 year old would have had to travel to the future when he was 10 and then back again. Therefore, once the 10 arrives (let us say he was there for two weeks), the 40 would be able to remember things 2 weeks into the future.

How how he traveled to the future i cannot say, but neither does the grandfather paradox.

Please disregard the current impossibility time travel....

a) 10 year old skips 30 years and meet future self at 40

b)
    If the 10 year old is in the future, then that means the 40 year old would have had to travel to the future when he was 10 and then back again.
    There is no reason he would have had to travel back again to fulfill scenario a)

c) If he did indeed travel back again

Possibility: Did the 10 year old cause the 40 year old to travel back or did the 40 year old cause the 10 year old to travel forward?
    Paradox: The future can cause the past, this goes against cause and effect but I actually see no logical reason against this.
    Solution: Time is linear, the future cannot cause the past and the 10 year old is the cause.
    Can remember: Yes

Possibility: The 10 year old travels to a 40 year old, the 40 year old travels to the 10 year old, both travel back
    Paradox: Neither have a guarantee that the future self or the past self is the future or past self of their own initial timeline.
    Solution: Time is linear but forks much like the multiverse interpretation of probabilities in QM.
    Can remember: No, there are four different versions of the time traveler.
    I liek fysix

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    No in a sense because it's not possible to travel into the future.

*edit* You could propose a parallel universe where the space has unfolded almost exactly the same but started '30 years' earlier, but then it wouldn't be you you're talking to so.. yeah.. pointless typing this .
    Do not be so sure you can state an absolute statement when you are talking physics.

Going back in time is completely impossible due to the fact of creating paradoxes which as far as the laws of physics go are impossible.

Time travel into the future however is more feasible due to the fact that time can slow down in places (hence ebbs and flows). Perhaps in the future we could build a machine which slows time down within its vicinity. Anyone standing inside would therefore be slower than everything else. A week in this machine could equate to a year in the actual world. So while the person was only gone for what seemed like a week to them in actual fact a year had passed around them. This is how we could potentially travel into the future.

if you go forward in time you are taking yourself out of the current timeline and therefore you can not see yourself in the future. Think about it, if you go in a machine and go forward 10 years, will you see yourself? No.And going backward is physically impossible.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzrishi View Post
    this is a big misconception about time nowadays almost everyone has.
    i dont blame you guys since most of people are being fooled by that phony physicist Stephen Hawking and his whole gang.
    there is NO SUCH THING AS TIME, it's just a kind of neurological delusion that most people have. if there is no such thing as time, then concept such as time travel is impossible.
    however, every event that has ever happened or will happen are all saved in some way or form. prophets or seers who are able to see the distant past or future because they somehow found a way to 'load'&'replay' the events. it's just like you play wow and frap your pvp ownage and sometime later you load it up and replay it to stroke your epeen once again, but you cant change anything you have recorded in that clip you frap'd.
    i think in the future people might be able to 'load' any events that had happened or will happen and 'replay' it in our 3 dimensional space we are currently living in right now, but to go back and forth in 'time' and change the events is impossible since there is no such thing as 'time'.
    the bold parts are funny , but wow ... you really have no idea ! so stop blabbering about "prophets" there is no such thing!

back to topic
    I think you can surely say that you CANT know if the 40ish guy can see the present when his 10ish version is around ...

edit: sorry about my comment , I dont believe in prophets ... and some people dont believe in time traveling because its not logical ,
    but you cant prove logic , because logic dictates it throug logic doesnt it ?
    Kurt Gödel said the same about mathematics
    so you cant say there is no time travel until you prove it , which is of course dumb
    because you can always say "prove it or it exists"
    Last edited by mmoca8d0ab5252; 2011-07-18 at 01:37 AM.

Depends on how you view time. Its half 2 in the morning so Ill just reserve this spot and come back to elaborate more in a few hours.

So if one who is 10ish years old goes to the future and meets himself at about 40ish
    You can't duplicate someone like this. In a sense, you're trying to violate the law of conservation of energy.
    The process of traveling to the future involves decreasing the speed of time for the observer. If someone "travels" 30 years in to the future, he will be missing for 30 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to the current laws of physics, you would just be missing for 30 years, you would "spawn" 30 years in the future and still be 10 years old.
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)