Thread: Starcraft 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by slinx View Post
    Hey there, I am masters in all divisions, I play zerg, but I have fooled around with all of the races and have over 900 wins. The biggest thing in starcraft 2 is finding an equilibreum between micro and macro. Unfortunately we can't get to those divisions for you, so practicing and getting better on your own is the best way to get better. When you first play its best to play team games just to get used to all of the units, so you can see all of the units pros, cons, and counters. There is also a starcraft website that gives you insight on each individual unit and its counters. Another great way to learn is to actually pull up youtube and watch some HD and Husky replays, they give great insight on pro level games to help you get better. After you learn each unit and its counters, then you will want to learn on perfecting your build and army composition, so you can defend easily against transitioning zergs and sneaky terrans.
    Zerg player... Sneaky terrans.. That doesn't make any sense :P

10+ Year Old Account
    First don't cheese - You'll never improve

Also I'm currently in bronze, but due to the lock I am unable to move up. If you see yourself playing against some gold/plat/diamond players the ladder prob wants to move you up. The ladders has placed me against 2-3 plats and 1 diamond.

Also I find 2/3gate robo to be very effective in PvP. Try and get goos at macro'ing while attacking also -something I am still working on.

Day9 daily #252 I a good episode to watch for tips on how to improve gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by chunkycarl View Post
    i played a lot against friends in higher leagues, they helped me improve my play through trial and error mostly.
    This is also a good thing to do if you have friends that play. I have a gold and plat friend that have helped me improve my protoss play in PvZ and PvT.
    Last edited by angael; 2011-07-18 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucarocks92 View Post
    just wondering does anyone have any advice on how to improve to plat/diamond level on sc2 i'm currently in bronze and i think my skill lv is just about gd enough for silver and with the new season starting i want to get atleast gold but i have played some gold players lately and they punish me on map control alot with multiple expansions, i play protoss and i do 1v1.
    I have always been terrible at RTS games. I had to cheat against the computer in broodwar to win. Come Sc2 I decided to give it a shot and better my game. Try to learn 1 or 2 tactics that you do all over again, against every single opponent to perfection. I also play protoss and you have probably heard the mantra "Probes and pylons". It's essential to always build new pylons and probes which will lead you to be able to pump out units.

I have also learned alot from watching streams such as day[9] (http://blip.tv/day9tv) or pro protoss player such as Cruncher, InControl, Mc, Naniwa etc.
    A few good sites for streams and information is: http://wellplayed.org/ and http://www.teamliquid.net/
    Y
    ou can also find some nice builds and timings to practise at http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Protoss_Strategy.

With practise and commitment I went from a nooby brons/silver player to diamond.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by angael View Post
    First don't cheese - You'll never improve

Also I'm currently in bronze, but due to the lock I am unable to move up. If you see yourself playing against some gold/plat/diamond players the ladder prob wants to move you up. The ladders has placed me against 2-3 plats and 1 diamond.

Also I find 2/3gate robo to be very effective in PvP. Try and get goos at macro'ing while attacking also -something I am still working on.

This is also a good thing to do if you have friends that play. I have a gold and plat friend that have helped me improve my protoss play in PvZ and PvT.
    There's a ladder lock? When did that happen

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    There's a ladder lock? When did that happen
    the 5th or 9th, and until the 28th.(New season)

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    the 5th or 9th, and until the 28th.(New season)
    That would explain... a lot

I felt myself get better & started facing gold/plats, was wondering why I didn't rank up :S

You are asking the wrong forums pal;

This is where you need to go for starcraft 2 for infinite information.
    http://www.teamliquid.net/

SC2... I only play it for the custom games. I suck at the serious competitive side of it

Quote Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
    You are asking the wrong forums pal;

This is where you need to go for starcraft 2 for infinite information.
    http://www.teamliquid.net/

This x1000.

But as general advice, play lots of ladder games, watch the replay afterwards to learn from your mistakes and don't play team games. Also, try to force macro games to get better.

I find that this game has a much lower technical/mechanical skill cap than broodwar. Thus, players will end up focusing much, much more of positioning and tactics than any other game, which will make sc2 much more successful in the global e-sports scene than broodwar will (not just 1-2 elite countries).
    Obsidium - Frostmane - www.obsidium.org

Some people have mentioned a couple builds, here are some others

http://williamjudd.com/2011/06/17/popular-protoss-build-orders/

I'm about plat level right now.

Terran: 20 food expand unless they're going to all in, with this build you need to be pumping out units constantly while building probes or any small attack will bust you before a couple of minutes

Zerg: 3 Gate Expo or Forge First Expo, i prefer the first one just because i hate how many ppl 6 pool as zerg and if they're in close positions youre done.

Protoss: I usually opt for 1 gate robo then add on another gate, just to counter early pressure from 4 gate. Immortals destroy stalkers.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    first off thanks for all the replies, i know most of the stuff that people are telling me i've watched almost all of day9's vid's and i stream alot on teamliquid/justintv, i think like one of my friends said i'm to mobile in my base i dont move around the map alot so i let my opponents build almost whatever they want and my scouting needs to improve, i seen xile mention 1gate robo vs protoss i'm considering giving that a go since immortals really do rape stalkers and early pressure from toss is mostly stalkers anyway, i think i have good knowledge of the game it's just putting all of into practice, my income is a problem although recently i have kept my minerals quite low, it use to get very high midgame, i just have 1 problem and that is defending an expo that isn't my natural i have problems with that alot they get sniped quite easily, i should maybe take xel'naga's more or use observers better so i know when the attacks are coming and where they are going to.

Quote Originally Posted by angael View Post
    Quoting because this is useful stuff, but it's also pretty technical and pretty dull. It's basically about ways that you as a human can interface with the computer/game more efficiently. This is one to watch when you find yourself saying, "I'm dedicated to SC2 and willing to really work to get better."

For players who are new and more casually interested, I would recommend Daily #184 (the first Newbie Tuesday episode). Watching this twice and playing maybe 20 practice games taking it to heart, I jumped from Bronze to Gold pretty much instantly.

I find that this game has a much lower technical/mechanical skill cap than broodwa
    You can't compare that! In 1997 Games were pretty nerdy and made really hard and challenging. Now you couldn't release such hard games because 98% of the buyers are casuals. Look around the eSports Scene, SC2 is by far the only challenging game released after 2008. Sure the skill-difference isn't that extrem like in BW, but the game is still challenging.

Dark templar rush.Works 4/5 times. Went from bronze to gold in a couple days doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us2LK...layer_embedded
    Follow this vid exactly and you will get to high diamond easy. Just keep improving and not get supply blocked. 4 gate is really good in every matchup.

Deleted
    Not sure if this has been posted.

Check out Day[9] he has some REALLY good vods, his vods are about "How we learn to be a better gamer" on tuesdays he has a special episode called "newbie tuesday"
    day9tv[dot]blip[dot]tv you'll find his archive

He's actually hilarious and its fun learning, you REALLY should check it out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dundermuffin View Post
    I find that this game has a much lower technical/mechanical skill cap than broodwar. Thus, players will end up focusing much, much more of positioning and tactics than any other game, which will make sc2 much more successful in the global e-sports scene than broodwar will (not just 1-2 elite countries).
    That was always bound to be the case. They improved the AI and the gameplay so much in SC2 which is often overlooked