Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    It could be perhaps for more casual users that don't want to change things and want things to look a certain way out of the box.
    PC = Hardcores
    Mac = Casuals

Right?

I think that works, honestly.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortiegama View Post
    Sure they're virtually virus free, but why? Well, lets face it, NO ONE CARES! When you have 2% of the OS market why should someone write a virus to attack your OS?
    That is complete bullshit. You can't say that 2% is absolutely small. If you got 2% of a billion, you'd be a millionaire.
    There are a LOT of mac users.

It is very difficult to make a virus for an unix system because low level access is so restricted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    PC = Hardcores
    Mac = Casuals

Right?

How can you be Hardcore if everyone is hardcore?

Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    That is complete bullshit. You can't say that 2% is absolutely small. If you got 2% of a billion, you'd be a millionaire.
    There are a LOT of mac users.

It is very difficult to make a virus for an unix system because low level access is so restricted.
    That's not the case. I remember making a "virus" for my high school work computer that would automatically shutdown whenever it boot itself back up. I had nearly no programming experience and yet I was able to manage that. If it weren't for the limit on the number of times I allowed the virus to perform that operation, I would have had many IT students absolutely dumbfounded for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Crieve; 2011-07-17 at 07:27 PM.

I think Macs are for picky people.

And we all know everyone's awfully picky about everything these days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Relatively speaking, all windows OSs do. You notice it after using OSx for a while. Windows has issues aliasing text at non standard font sizes, (Look at the "windows" at the windows load screen, and how horribly aliased it is). I deal with typeography alot, so I notice it, and it pains me, as well as window's terrible default handling of foreign characters, and is ugly default font.

Maybe the belief of windows theme as ugly is opinion, but I really don't like their weird transparency theme. It's unclean, and makes windows delineation somewhat confusing at times (not majorly, but again these are issues which come up for many hours a week of use.) And I know all windows have the annoying habit of always asking if you want to allow a program to make changes, no matter how many times its been used, for instance it does it every time i open steam.

Macs are indeed overpriced, which is while i'll go with a hackintosh. But in my mind, there is absolutely no competition between the OSs.
    If you base your OS preference solely on looks, you should understand that visual taste MIGHT be personal...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    PC = Hardcores
    Mac = Casuals

Right?

Windows = Casual
    Mac = Casual
    Linux = Hardcore

I like using an OS that allows me to use whatever program I want and not worry about whether it's supported by Mac?

People need to start just building there own computer and stop over paying for premade shit

Deleted
    This man... is a wise man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    Windows = Casual/Hardcore
    Mac = Casual/Hardcore
    Linux = Casual/Hardcore
    There is not such thing as a master operative sistem, they are all equal if you know who to use them.(also you can be hard core in a Mac if you want)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Apples are pretty damned amazing for recording and audio editing tbh though.... For gaming, PC all the way. Not even a question.
    Old myth really by now. Apple used to have some of their own shit in the PCs, but now it's mostly 3rd party hardware.

The only thing left on the Apple is Garage Band as far as I'm concerned. Any other software will have an equal or better Windows version.

whenever i buy a comp i build my own (it's often cheaper that way), and therefore i will never own a mac.

Deleted
    I've yet to see anyone in this thread explain their hate for Apple with any other argument than "it costs more" and "hipsters use them".

everyone seems to forget that the macs are designed products.
    the apple business model is not the cheapest possible, neither is the Mercedes-Benz or the Ralph Lauren business model.
    no, you don't get a lot more for your money, you get the design and the brand. I have never heard anyone particularly wanting your cheap HP laptop, however they wouldn't mind having your macbook, probably.
    there is a reason some people drive around in a BMW M3 and others in ford fiestas. equipment-wise they're not all that different, they both have air condition, seats, an engine that will do the job at hand, cup holders, radio... you name it.

but the inside of the BMW M3 looks like this:

and the exterior like this:

and the interior of the ford fiesta looks like this:

and the exterior:

when push comes to shove people are going by the things they own show their economical status or make a statement.
    I love my mercedes sl350 from 2002, it wasn't terribly expensive as the last owner had mistreated it horribly and it had a lot of rust which I easily fixed, if I had sold it off I could get a new "modern" car but I see no reason to, I love my car.

yet why do people buy the M3?

is the M3 "special" in comparison with the fiesta? does it have better components? is the steel used in it better? are the wheels a lot better? it's just a car with a bigger price tag, more horse power (and you can't even legally drive more than 130 km/h in most countries, and it's not that often you want to accelerate from 0 to 100 anyway) and different looks when we boil it all down, with nowhere near the 50k euro price difference in actual things separating the cars apart.

just like men want a hot wife (and if you were thinking, well I don't care how my wife looks as long as we love each other, wouldn't you rather have she was smoking hot on top of the person she is?) where an ugly wife is statistically going to be just as good at everything the hot wife can do, we all love showing off what we can afford, with other words have status. not that you particularly have to afford a wife or that status comes into play, but nevertheless a point.

An Apple item is a status item, just like a BMW is.

and I remember watching a documentary with a very angry tailor, not about that he was doing bad but about Armani were producing their suits in the same factory, with the same machines, with the same cloth and the same workers as another company that were famous for their suits were, at three times the sales price.

no difference between the suits other than how they looked, yet owning an Armani suit is still status.

OS X is an extremely nice OS, the Apple hardware is nothing special but the configurations of the Apple laptops are. you can't find an off-the-shelf laptop with the same specs as a macbook at half the price. the iMac is a product in it's own league, I don't know about you but the "put it together yourself and get a powerhouse for half the price"-PCs you can put together sure as hell don't have the same esthetics as the iMac does, at least in my opinion.

Apple does not sell their things at the cheapest possible price, and that is a business model. a lot of companies do not sell things at the cheapest possible price, and that in itself makes the product more desirable, i.e if everyone rode around on invincible in wow, no-one would want the mount very much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by daed4 View Post
    This man... is a wise man.

There is not such thing as a master operative sistem, they are all equal if you know who to use them.(also you can be hard core in a Mac if you want)
    I have CS professors who use Mac's, PC's and Unix PC's in their presentations in about equal numbers.
    Most of course use all 3 in their work outside of that.

Err, those car analogies are really silly.

Since, unlike Macs vs PC discussions, cars will be very distinctly unique. Then there are other glaring errors in the analogies, such as the simple fact that no car can really compare to what a Mac would amount to.

A Ferrari vs a high-end not-nearly-as-expensive-as-Ferrai car would be a much closer analogy. And even that would be shallow.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-07-17 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    If you base your OS preference solely on looks, you should understand that visual taste MIGHT be personal...
    True, some people might like terrible font handling. Personal taste and all. I mean, it's a whole package thing, from much better integration of drag and drop, to intuitive multitouch gestures with the mac trackpads. Also, just to be clear, i'm not what one would call a casual user. There's no point arguing it as what makes a computer user casual is subjective, but I'm a computer programmer who has published applications in the app store.

And for the record, that 2% argument is getting fairly old. Macs account for 10% of website hits, and about 8% of all computer use: http://thenextweb.com/2009/02/02/web...rd-99-percent/

And considering the vitriol a lot of people have for macs, people would be much more likely to write viruses for them just to prove a point.

Dunno about the macs, but I know better then to buy their other devices..............

Still, I´m happy Apple is doing great, Competition is good for the consumers.

The only thing I actually hate about apple is their attitude.
    Yes, you have created a nice device, but there are better ones out there. Devices that are even more magical/amazing.

And ofc the attitude of the apple fans.
    Who act like apple has just found the answer to life, the universe and everything, every time when Apple just announces small features, like OTA (over the air updates)

And because of this, I don't want to be part of the i-crowd even if their products do become the best someday *which happens when hell freezes over*

The only thing that could have made that blog post more epic, was if someone started a slow-clap after he/she said: "the mac is twice the price and it's not twice as good,"
    and the slow clap turned into a huge applause + cheering INSIDE the apple store....that would be the stories of legends or just really cool blog posts :P
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    True, some people might like terrible font handling. Personal taste and all. I mean, it's a whole package thing, from much better integration of drag and drop, to intuitive multitouch gestures with the mac trackpads. --snip--
    /snortgiggle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Err, those car analogies are really silly.

Since, unlike Macs vs PC discussions, cars will be very distinctly unique. Then there are other glaring errors in the analogies, such as the simple fact that no car can really compare to what a Mac would amount to.

A Ferrari vs a high-end not-nearly-as-expensive-as-Ferrai car would be a much closer analogy.
    I always love when people go "oh, but you can't compare mac vs PC with cars, because they got different engines and like, different acceleration times and stuffs! and they got more parts".

well so does OS X. it boots differently, is actually more optimised than windows (due to the limited hardware support, mind you).

the point is just to prove that a lot of the money you pay in economical difference will not gain you a tangible value but rather an intangible value.

sadly, Apple does not cater to poor people or people thinking with their wallets, they cater to those that can afford macs, same same like BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ralph Lauren, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    This story is beyond amazing, and so true.

I hate when people at my school bring in their little mac laptops and talk about how much better they are then PCs. And when you ask them WHY they like Mac's more then PC's all they say is "Well this laptop (or desktop at home) is sooo much better then my old PC, and they are sooo much better for editing and doing animations." Then after that you find out that their old PC was some 200$ Dell that they had for 3 years and that they NEVER do editing and don't know how to do any animations, yet after all that they still think that Mac's are 10000000x better then PC.

If you like Mac's more then PC's that is completely fine if your talking about editing, animating, etc. on a professional level. But to say that a Mac has better performance then a PC is just ridiculous, if you were to use the 2000$ you spent on a mac on a PC you could make something that is easily 3 times more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    Apple does not sell their things at the cheapest possible price, and that is a business model. a lot of companies do not sell things at the cheapest possible price, and that in itself makes the product more desirable, i.e if everyone rode around on invincible in wow, no-one would want the mount very much.
    Holy crap you even put images there!?
    Your analogy is spot on, why drive a BMW when you can achieve the same thing with a Ford?