15+ Year Old Account

Noctua NH-D14 against Thermalright Silver Arrow

So what do you think about these two, upper price segment, sort of higher end, air CPU coolers? You can't find the silver arrow from newegg.com so I've included amazon.com prices but they should be pretty close to each other. Anyone with personal experience or an added information about either of them that I might have overlooked?

http://www.amazon.com/THERMALRIGHT-S...0930223&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpip...0930223&sr=8-2

Just a few reviews:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...ver-arrow.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XTN0Qll2o
    http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/c...octua_nh-d14/1

People always seem to be recommending the noctua one even though they both are (from what I've gathered) performing extremely similarly. Looks like the silver arrow, in some cases, would be even winning by a notch. All the reviews rate it as a more quiet one too, with the stock fans.

One of the silver arrows minuses would be the size but let's be honest, they are both huge. Even though the silver arrow is slightly bigger, who cares if you can fit it in your case?

The reason I'm interested. Looking for a new build maybe in a few months, might wait for the next year. I have, however, a 775 socket CPU at the moment on which both of them would fit. So basically I could buy a cooler now, use it on my current build as well as with sandy/ivy bridge(/bulldozer) when I decide to upgrade.

Which one you think is better? The noctua is terribly mainstream as well.. Every other Bob and Joe has one or as it seems. Might be due to newegg not actually stocking them, at all, though . And one more thing, the silver arrow is cheaper from where I'm buying (thermalright 60.40€, noctua 71.40€)

People recommend the Hyper 212 plus, even though there are better in the price-segment.
    In Swedia, the Noctua is 100 SEK less expensive than the Thermalright, last I checked.

It's also prettier, has prettier fans. And, I prefer writing NH-D14 to writing Silver Arrow. That they are an Austrian brand helps as well.

From what I've gathered, the Silver Arrow is 0.5°C better than the Noctua NH-D14. Not worth the steep price-curve.

From what I've heard the Noctua is relatively easy to install, while the Silver Arrow is a pain in the ass. Also the NH-D14 has a wider spread reputation than the Silver Arrow, seeing most people don't even know that one exists.
    I think that are the two reasons why people get the NH-D14 over the Silver Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    People recommend the Hyper 212 plus, even though there are better in the price-segment.
    In Swedia, the Noctua is 100 SEK less expensive than the Thermalright, last I checked.

It's also prettier, has prettier fans. And, I prefer writing NH-D14 to writing Silver Arrow. That they are an Austrian brand helps as well.

From what I've gathered, the Silver Arrow is 0.5°C better than the Noctua NH-D14. Not worth the steep price-curve.
    In The Netherlands, the Silver Arrow is actually €10 cheaper :O

15+ Year Old Account

Though if I had the silver arrow for cheaper. And about the looks, yeah won't even go there with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Though if I had the silver arrow for cheaper. And about the looks, yeah won't even go there with you!
    If you can get a better cooler for cheaper, and you can live with the looks, why is this even a question? :P

I'd still personally go for the Noctua NH-D14, unless the Silver Arrow was half the price of the NH-D14.
    But I do love the NH-D14!

(NH-D14!)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you can get a better cooler for cheaper, and you can live with the looks, why is this even a question? :P

I'd still personally go for the Noctua NH-D14, unless the Silver Arrow was half the price of the NH-D14.
    But I do love the NH-D14!

(NH-D14!)
    Not even for the acoustics? :P Supposed to be quieter.. I don't know, it's hard to decide.. This is probably why I never get to upgrading my current setup. Might as well try to manage with the stock intel until I make up my mind. It's not like 87 degrees under load is anything to worry about.. And if it fries I'll definitly have a reason to upgrade o_o.

Deleted
    Am I the only the person on MMO, who doesn't like the NH-D14? :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Am I the only the person on MMO, who doesn't like the NH-D14? :S
    I don't like the colours, but its a damn good cooler.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I don't like the colours, but its a damn good cooler.
    I love the colour, I love the cooler.