Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Oh my God... I'm definitely trying this game in August.

Age of Conan is f2p now too if you are looking for free MMO. LOTR is also f2p and so is D&D Online(which is a really boring game to me at least). Is EQ F2P? I tried it a few times a long time ago, but never really got hooked.

I feel dirty by posting in an EQ thread...

However, I played the closed beta, I was a GM on Fenin-Ro during Ruins of Kunark up until Planes of Power... and one thing I must attribute to this game is how the hell it isn't dead yet and what amazes me still is the fact the guilds I helped create during the initial release and RoK on Bristlebane are amazingly still around (Ring of Valor / Club Fu). Apparently the guild that was "the best in game" for awhile (Fires of Heaven, FoH) still plays EQ along side WoW.

I played everquest for 6+ years and had 3 lvl capped chars. I raided 6+ hours a day 3-4 times a week. What kill me and the game for me was when they changed the progression to where. If you missed a raid your progression suffered and you couldnt continue with your guild cause there progression was further ahead of yours and no way to catch up unless they went back and did they stuff you missed. Was the end of me and the start of WOW. I hear now that isn the cast you can go to end content even if your new.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhron View Post

Vanguard copied from WoW.
    Not at all. The game really pissed me off because it had the potential to be insanely awesome, but was basically released in alpha/early closed beta. There were so many cool mechanics in that game (caravaning, the card system thingy ect.) that I would LOVE to see other games do. If anything, it copied from EQ1, not WoW.

People say that WoW is the greatest MMO around, but EQ could still arguably hold that title based on longevity. 12+ years and still going. The guild that I was in on Quellious back in 2003-2004 is still around and still progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Not at all. The game really pissed me off because it had the potential to be insanely awesome, but was basically released in alpha/early closed beta. There were so many cool mechanics in that game (caravaning, the card system thingy ect.) that I would LOVE to see other games do. If anything, it copied from EQ1, not WoW.
    Please read the entire post before posting something like this. This being used as an example of how herpaderp people can truely, truely be, quoted in that very post.

...But I believe this too. The game should not've been released as it was, and still suffers the GRUELING flavor/feel that came with it.

Redundant reiteration: No, it didn't copy from anything. That's the point of the post I made from what you quoted.
    LoLtumblr |
    derpderpderp

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Juggalo View Post
    People say that WoW is the greatest MMO around, but EQ could still arguably hold that title based on longevity. 12+ years and still going. The guild that I was in on Quellious back in 2003-2004 is still around and still progressing.
    Arguably indeed. However, a legacy generally isn't the metric used when determining what is "The greatest MMO/Game around".
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Probably about the same population, Everquest has more servers but I'd bet they handle less players than EQ2 servers.

EQ2 sort of went F2P, SOE released EQ2 Extended, it's EQ2 just free to play but it's totally seperated from EQ2 Live, they both have their own servers and everything which is why I'd recommend live more than extended.

That went into effect not too long ago .. and something worth noting, that once you get going on the F2P (separate) servers, you can't transfer to "live" ever, even if you want to start paying a subscription. You'd have to start over with a clean slate, on a new subscription based server.

I'm not really sure what SOE was trying to achieve when they split the EQ2 community, but when it comes to SOE I gave up wondering