Thread: mass effect 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Buuuuuuuuy eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

The discussion about RPGs aside, yes, you should get Mass Effect 2 unless you haven't played Mass Effect, which you should play first but I guess you haven't because if you had, you wouldn't have asked us. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    No offense, but I think you're just splitting hairs at this point. It basically sounds like, "yeah it has RPG elements, but it's not RPGish enough for me." Few games are, are they?

Maybe you should play the game before judging it anyway. There are numerous sub-plots that you don't have to explore when you play the game. There are side missions that are completely optional. Yet, from your posts, it sounds like you think it's all one long linear story with no stopping.
    Yet you are not proving me wrong, only telling that I am wrong. Maybe it's you who did not play the game?

I have played the game and no, it's not splitting hairs. It's exactly one of these things where you could call a Transport Tycoon an RPG because of "taking a role".
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've played it, yes.
    If you haven't played it, YES!

I oughta buy it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by ramsesakama View Post
    I'm gonna say this as emphatically as I can: you are wrong. I made a detailed response with screenshots to your description of what an RPG should be, clueless as it was to the fact that Mass Effect did indeed have those things in it, and your only rebuttal was to bicker about the details. Whether your original characterization of an RPG was "correct" or not, I think Mass Effect does indeed qualify.

If you're still not convinced then, yes, maybe you should play the game. It's not worth my time to write a ten-page thesis on this issue.
    Well excuse me if I had not noticed what you have done on last page to a few sentence post that you have edited ages after I read it last time.

Edit: And your prime example is from ME1 which I already admitted to be an RPG so duh.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Yet you are not proving me wrong, only telling that I am wrong. Maybe it's you who did not play the game?

I have played the game and no, it's not splitting hairs. It's exactly one of these things where you could call a Transport Tycoon an RPG because of "taking a role".
    Just because an RPG doesn't require hours of research and/or forethought just to create a decent character, doesn't mean it isn't a proper RPG. I'm honestly tired of RPGs that give you swaths of useless items and weapons that you just have to sell later because your inventory filled up and also of having to restart a character 8 times just because I screwed up 1 stat choice. You're obviously a snob when it comes to these things and should stick to DnD.

@OP: Play through once on one of the easier difficulties so you get bonuses for subsequent playthroughs and then play insanity for your second.
    Last edited by blackangel209; 2011-07-18 at 08:10 PM.

ME2... such a great game.. I bought it a couple months ago, and I wish I had bought it when it first released. I'm a bit sad there isn't any modding support available for the game

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

Except your judgment is completely arbitrary. You're stating your own opinion as fact, and saying his opinion is wrong. I would say the first problem with your assertion is that you're determining opinions as right and wrong. Just because you feel the game isn't an RPG based on your specific guidelines does not have any more merit than any other person's list of guidelines. Your definition of RPG's does not color the entire industry and everybody's definitions. I would argue that the majority of people would actually argue against your point and would not agree with you. Just because it doesn't fit your made-up personal guidelines does not determine whether it is an RPG or not. Just whether or not you personally consider it one. So nobody is 'wrong' for saying otherwise.

Let's not argue semantics, guys. This is besides the point of the topic.

yes. buy it.

Deleted
    Wondered why they removed the EMP from husks in ME2, then I ran into a pack of them in ME1 on insanity and remembered
    Ignores/SEVERELY reduces all dmg reduction and hurts like hell

Can facetank anything else on ME1 as a max lvl/equipped soldier, ME2 on insanity it's impossible to do that (although it was fun doing each shadowbroker phase on hardcore with a single dlc-assault-rifle-clip ).

Just hope I don't make myself play ME1 again for a certain ending/choices, my soldier alone's on 79h total atm.

ME1 felt a whole lot more open to me, each system had at least 1 planet you could land on that had side-quests

The Mass Effect games are among the few that I would willingly spend $60 on to buy new. At $20 I'd consider buying it mandatory.

If every game was of the same quality as the Mass Effect series, then $60 game pricetags would be justifiable. They're damn good games with damn good stories.

As for the RPG debate--I personally consider key feature of a role-playing game to by the role-playing. ME definitely shines in that area, although I could see why some would consider stat and item micromanaging a requirement as an RPG.

everytime this thread pops up, tons of people say its an awesome game, and one or two people go all "ITS TOTALLY NOT X-GENRE, DONT GET IT"

a genre is a general term, if everything was cookie cutter we would complain there was no innovation

stop judging games on how they fit the mold and start judging them our their own merits

Everything you need to know about Mass Effect 2.

Quote Originally Posted by conaan View Post
    everytime this thread pops up, tons of people say its an awesome game, and one or two people go all "ITS TOTALLY NOT X-GENRE, DONT GET IT"

a genre is a general term, if everything was cookie cutter we would complain there was no innovation

stop judging games on how they fit the mold and start judging them our their own merits
    I have seen people complaining about the genre of ME2, but i have yet to see someone here post "Dont get it."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're an RPG lover, this game is a must have. I don't think I've ever enjoyed an RPG as much as I have when I've played ME1 and ME2 after one another. And both give a guaranteed 20+ hour game play aswell. It's really worth the 20 USD.

15+ Year Old Account
    So worth it. Playing through both 1 and 2 for the third time now.