10+ Year Old Account

Speakers Hissing/Crackling

Hey,

I have had my PC speakers for a long time now, around 3 years. And in the past week they have started making unusual crackling/hissing sounds, it's hard to place the sound in words exactly. But it seems to have come from nowhere, I have checked all the cables and cleaned the speakers to the best of my ability, even opened them up and given them a blast of air to get rid of any dirt in the volume controls but nothing seems to help.

I have managed to narrow down the problem to the 'main speaker' (the one with the workings for volume, bass & treble inside) I disconnected every cable apart from the power, and it still crackle/hissed. Furthermore, when I connect the other speaker so that sound can go through both, they both crackle. It is really confusing me. The amount of noise produced doesn't change with the volume or if music is played or not, it does it totally randomly.

The strangest part is, with the speakers making the crackling sound I turned on a song with a lot of bass, put the bass setting to max and turned the speakers up, a strange sound came from them and they stopped cracking completely. This isn't a permanent fix, after some time it eventually starts making sounds again.

If it helps I am using these speakers: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/creativ...92098-pdt.html

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help given.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it is the wires. Try twisting turning etc the speaker wires etc while it is hissing etc and see if it changes at all. Same thing on the input where it plugs in move it around a little bit where it connects at and see if the noise changes at all. Just my guess though )P

Edit: only reason I am guessing this, is when I used to install stereo systems, bad wires would cause a hissing crackling noise to come from the speakers a lot. You could not of course see a split or anything in the wire, but some where in the wiring it was bad.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

do you have any new wireless devices near it? my old speakers would pick up on my cellphone and do the same style of sound randomly

It could also mean that your connection from the wire to the speaker is also going bad. I'm talking about the connection inside the speaker itself. If you know how to solder, see if the connection is losing its solder connection and re solder it.
    "And I looked and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto him over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummagummas View Post
    It could also mean that your connection from the wire to the speaker is also going bad. I'm talking about the connection inside the speaker itself. If you know how to solder, see if the connection is losing its solder connection and re solder it.
    Maybe, I don't have anything to solder things with sadly, and I feared it might be something like that. :l

Quote Originally Posted by conaan View Post
    do you have any new wireless devices near it? my old speakers would pick up on my cellphone and do the same style of sound randomly
    Nope, nothing wireless near it.

Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    I would say it is the wires. Try twisting turning etc the speaker wires etc while it is hissing etc and see if it changes at all. Same thing on the input where it plugs in move it around a little bit where it connects at and see if the noise changes at all. Just my guess though )P

Edit: only reason I am guessing this, is when I used to install stereo systems, bad wires would cause a hissing crackling noise to come from the speakers a lot. You could not of course see a split or anything in the wire, but some where in the wiring it was bad.
    I did have a play with the wires, but nothing seemed to stop the noise, they could be going bad but they've never been moved since I bought them.

Thanks for the replies. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking to see if some other people had a similar problem, only thing I found was a few other posts stating "after three years they started crackling" hehe. Maybe it is just the end of the line for them !
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe so, typical really. Things like this always break when you have no money to replace them, lol. :l

Deleted
    my router does this to my subwoofer. extremely annoying so i feel your pain. hope someone has some ideas!

10+ Year Old Account
    *moves my speaker away from the phone connection to the wall*

I wonder..

If this is the cause of my problem I am going to facepalm so hard my hand will go through my head.