Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    [Movies] Yahoo list of Harry Potter rip offs.

    I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, or of many of these movies/books, but seriously, this is one of the most stupid and hilarious things I have ever read.

    http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/colle...itators#photo0

    I mean, what the hell? Eragon might be a Star Wars rip off, but Harry Potter? And The Golden Compass? Wut?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, or of many of these movies/books, but seriously, this is one of the most stupid and hilarious things I have ever read.

    http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/colle...itators#photo0

    I mean, what the hell? Eragon might be a Star Wars rip off, but Harry Potter? And The Golden Compass? Wut?
    It's discussing movies which were based off of books and how they utterly failed upon release unlike harry potter.

  3. #3
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,325
    First step: Imagine a bunch of monkeys sitting around with several typewriters strewn about the room.

    Second step: Imagine those monkeys have several cases of hard liquor, and down it rather quickly.

    Third Step: Imagine whatever random letters spawn from these monkeys stumbling around and hitting keys gets turned into a news article.

    Fourth Step: Imagine some website releases these "articles".

    Welcome to Yahoo.com

    ---------- Post added 2011-07-18 at 08:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    It's discussing movies which were based off of books and how they utterly failed upon release unlike harry potter.
    No, the title clearly states "Harry Potter rip-offs". Read my above statement.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  4. #4
    lets see here now...

    Eragon is a rip off of starwars and LOTR, not HP.

    The golden compass books came out before harry potter.

    the rest don't really have much in common with HP either. They just happen to be children's fantasy books/movies.

    Just because something is in the same genre as something else doesn't mean it's a rip off. At this rate we might as well say the Harry potter books are ripping off the Chronicles of Narnia.

    (with the exception of percy jackson, which is just harry potter at summer camp.)
    Last edited by elgato; 2011-07-19 at 01:55 AM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    First step: Imagine a bunch of monkeys sitting around with several typewriters strewn about the room.

    Second step: Imagine those monkeys have several cases of hard liquor, and down it rather quickly.

    Third Step: Imagine whatever random letters spawn from these monkeys stumbling around and hitting keys gets turned into a news article.

    Fourth Step: Imagine some website releases these "articles".

    Welcome to Yahoo.com

    ---------- Post added 2011-07-18 at 08:46 PM ----------



    No, the title clearly states "Harry Potter rip-offs". Read my above statement.
    "In the decade since "Potter" first hit screens, a host of other fantasy movies have tried to copy its formula for success. They were based on very popular books, they featured a plucky young hero (or two or three), and they relied heavily on expensive visual effects. And while some made for passable movies, most never launched the sort of multi-film franchise that made "Potter" such a smash.

    Click ahead to see eight movies that tried to follow in the footsteps "Harry Potter" but just couldn't fly."

    You're wrong, once again the article is about primarily books that later became movies and shared a very small common feature(a hero, a crossover from book to movie, and a rather large use of special effects). None of the article claims that they follow the same plot lines or anything just states that they failed to make the cross over from book to movie. Funny story though, i ctrl+f'd the whole article, not a single word of rip off. odd.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-19 at 01:59 AM.

  6. #6
    Oh, and as far as books goes, Eragon might not be as successful as Harry Potter, but it's still one of the top 50 best selling books of all time.

  7. #7
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,325
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    "In the decade since "Potter" first hit screens, a host of other fantasy movies have tried to copy its formula for success. They were based on very popular books, they featured a plucky young hero (or two or three), and they relied heavily on expensive visual effects. And while some made for passable movies, most never launched the sort of multi-film franchise that made "Potter" such a smash.

    Click ahead to see eight movies that tried to follow in the footsteps "Harry Potter" but just couldn't fly."

    You're wrong, once again the article is about primarily books that later became movies and shared a very small common feature. None of the article claims that they follow the same plot lines or anything just states that they failed to make the cross over from book to movie.

    No, the link from yahoo.com mentioned them as "rip-offs".

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  8. #8
    Legendary! Absolute Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rainbow Road
    Posts
    6,274
    Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    Oh, and as far as books goes, Eragon might not be as successful as Harry Potter, but it's still one of the top 50 best selling books of all time.
    Wasn't Twilight one of the top selling books, too?


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No, the link from yahoo.com mentioned them as "rip-offs".
    Oh it did, because i just ctrl+f'd the whole document and oddly enough no word rip-off, or even the word rip appeared, odd. and even if it would appear, they clearly show what they are attempting to do, which is to say that those movies did not succeed like harry potter but they are vaguely similar.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-19 at 02:01 AM.

  10. #10
    Elemental Lord Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    8,480
    I liked most of those movies...

  11. #11
    You must seriously lack reading comprehension. The article is talking about rip-offs in the sense of films with big-budget, special effects based on popular, long-running book series. The point is that while Harry Potter has had a successful run as films, these other series, those successful as books (like harry potter), haven't been popular enough to spawn sequel films.

  12. #12
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,325
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Oh it did, because i just ctrl+f'd the whole document and oddly enough no word rip-off, or even the word rip appeared, odd. and even if it would appear, they clearly show what they are attempting to do, which is to say that those movies did not succeed like harry potter but they are vaguely similar.
    I admit I have a bias toward the brain-dead morons that write for Yahoo, but I will say that I also am very honest of a person:

    http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7912/unledjzg.png

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakisoba View Post
    Dumbest thing I've ever read LOL. Inkheart? Really? That is absolutely NOTHING like Harry Potter. Inkhearts concept and story is actually pretty unique, if you've ever read the books.
    They aren't comparing plots, once again. They are saying that the book did not translate well to a movie, unlike harry potter. They group it in in this article only because it was a book to movie cross over, it had a hero (that's exceptionally vague), and it was highly special effect based. No mention, period, of plot comparisons.

    ---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 02:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I admit I have a bias toward the brain-dead morons that write for Yahoo, but I will say that I also am very honest of a person:

    http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7912/unledjzg.png
    The link isn't on the article, it's a link to the site. Regardless it doesn't matter, the article goes about saying why they are similar, book crossover/a hero/special effect base. It talks about the fact that they are similar in their crossover from book to movie, nothing about plot. Yes yahoo writers are terrible, but it's not like they are saying these books are all the same, they're just discussing their crossover from book to movies. If the movies could be "rippingoff" anything it would be the supposed "formula" harry potter used to go from book to movie.
    Last edited by xile; 2011-07-19 at 02:07 AM.

  14. #14
    The article is comparing books to on screen translation. Also they aren't like Harry Potter in terms of wizardry, but they are all similar in terms of fantasy.

  15. #15
    Stood in the Fire ODDLAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mexico/USA
    Posts
    414
    Lemony Snicket <3 the movie sucked so much balls it was appalling, I still remember though reading them in elementary school . You also have to remember that the books that spawned these shit movies are not as popular as Harry Potter. My brother has no idea who Lemony Snicket or C.S Lewis is (hes 14) but he DOES know who J.K Rowling is, even though he doesn't read books at all.

  16. #16
    The one thing all those 'ripoffs' or whatever you want to call them had over HP....action!

    They were not 5 longass drawn out snoozefests with barely any action, only topped by the like of the rings trilogy.

    Harry potter is training to be a wizard eh? He casts how many spells in the first 5 movies combined? 8?

    Ripoff or not, most of those movies > HP

  17. #17
    The Patient Faunwea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The U.S. of A
    Posts
    274
    Harry Potty isn't that unique... It actually has a lot of cliches and borrows from mythology, legends, and stories that have been in existence for a loooong time. Most people are simply too ignorant to realize this.

  18. #18
    Epic! Skizzit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ~De Geso!
    Posts
    1,613
    I am bummed that The Golden Compass sucked as hard as it did. The books are amazing and the movie had a pretty amazing cast. Still, I guess that is what you get when you take a series that is basically a deconstruction of Catholicism and organized religion in general and then remove and reference to religion from the movie version.

  19. #19
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    They were not 5 longass drawn out snoozefests with barely any action, only topped by the like of the rings trilogy.
    HOW DARE YOU!!!! Heretic!!! The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is a freaking awesome movie trilogy, and an even better book series(counting everything else Middle Earth related).

    Personally, I like the books of HP far better than the movies, but that is likely just me. Because I am overzealous about sticking to the books that the movies are based off of, I know that the books are too long, but still! I can dream can't I?

    OT: I actually liked several of those movies listed, and why they failed is beyond me. But the only thing they 'cloned' from the HP series is the fact that they are based off books, and are fantasy.

    Why the Eragon movie failed, is because in the words of Stephen Fry, it was "absolute balls."
    Last edited by Robbyjawz; 2011-07-19 at 04:39 AM.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  20. #20
    Read the article properly, the writer isn't saying that they copied Harry Potter, but that they copied the formula.

    "In the decade since "Potter" first hit screens, a host of other fantasy movies have tried to copy its formula for success. They were based on very popular books, they featured a plucky young hero (or two or three), and they relied heavily on expensive visual effects. And while some made for passable movies, most never launched the sort of multi-film franchise that made "Potter" such a smash."

    Seriously if people would just take the time to read and understand there would be much less problems in the world generally.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •