Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

WoW is finally F2P (maybe)

If you think about it, the implementation of the Starter Edition is very similar to many F2P models.

You are given your own limited play of the game and find that in order to play all of it you have to purchase addons or additional features.

I know the Starter Edition lacks the revenue generation of typical F2P models and in that it stands apart but with this change, and the fact that Blizzard already has a successful e-shop outside of the game, it can't be long before the in-game store appears.

Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    If you think about it, the implementation of the Starter Edition is very similar to many F2P models.

You are given your own limited play of the game and find that in order to play all of it you have to purchase addons or additional features.

I know the Starter Edition lacks the revenue generation of typical F2P models and in that it stands apart but with this change, and the fact that Blizzard already has a successful e-shop outside of the game, it can't be long before the in-game store appears.
    Free to play is a misnomer. Free to Play actually means - Free to buy cash shop items.

What WoW is doing is essentially expanding the 10 day free trial, so new players can experience talent trees and mounts. Basically a crack dealer giving you two free hits instead of just one.

F2P sucks . If wow is F2P , u may easily get full Heroic Tier 12 which cost u $400 , is that funny?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

Here be conspiracies.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    *Puts on tinfoil hat shaped like bunny ears*

Quote Originally Posted by Alsayyar View Post
    What do you think you're doing?
    You only have the regular tinfoil hat. The Bunny Tinfoil Hat is an extra $13.95.

Free to play CAN work, but I don't really see Blizzard making it F2P.

Deleted
    Aye, looks more like the WAR 'Infinite Trial' idea, rather than 'THE START OF F2P! RUN FOR THE HILLS' to me

I like the idea, tbh - no pressure on new players, they can wander, try it out, and decide if they like it.

Deleted
    Amazing how starter accounts can be linked to f2p. Wow will never be f2p. This is, as others already stated, to lure more new players, nothing more nothing less. Any1 believing more is insane to think after all these years blizzard would come back on subscriptions. Whishfull thinking of a 12 year old broke kid or of a player who rather buys T12 then actually play the game?
    Last edited by mmocc4e9c7e3b2; 2011-07-19 at 09:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The trial that lasts for ever isnt even close to what I would consider F2P. There are way to many important yet minor things you cant do, such as join a guild, trade or even TALK to anyone (almost) etc.
    A good example of saying something is F2P is Runescape, (first of all imma just say I hate the game, but the example works.) The free version allows you to do all the ESSENTIALs that members can do, such as talk, trade and even almost hit max level. What it dosnt allows you to do is get the full fun factor. You are not allowed in several regions on the map, content such as; more quest, mini-games and member only gear and skills.

I think WoW is still quite a long way before any1 can call it F2P, maybe after the last expansion... allowing people to hit 60. But I dont see anything like that happening any time soon, and hopefully the day never comes... 1 of the reasons I dont mind paying for WoW is so I dont have to deal with all the "Baddie" F2P people. Kinda like how when they made TF2 F2P... except that I enjoy blowing their brains out. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

Deleted
    Introducing "premium" content such as the cross-realms party feature - and who know what more in future - plus the continue add of purchasable items in store like new mounts, easily let us think that the way to F2P has been already taken.

Can't imagine WoW not F2P with a new Blizz MMORPG like Titan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Here be conspiracies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsayyar View Post
    My intention wasn't to imply Blizzard was going F2P, it was to suggest they had already done it in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Punica View Post
    Amazing how starter accounts can be linked to f2p. Wow will never be f2p. This is, as others already stated, to lure more new players, nothing more nothing less. Any1 believing more is insane to think after all these years blizzard would come back on subscriptions. Whishfull thinking of a 12 year old broke kid or of a player who rather buys T12 then actually play the game?
    Not really. I just thought about it comparing current F2P games, those who were sub games and turned F2P, and Blizzard's recent change.

What do you think F2P actually is if not a means of luring more new players?

It's been many, MANY years since I was 12 and it lessens your point for you to resort to that "argument". Please feel free to discuss the actual point further.

Quote Originally Posted by allakaboom View Post
    The trial that lasts for ever isnt even close to what I would consider F2P. There are way to many important yet minor things you cant do, such as join a guild, trade or even TALK to anyone (almost) etc.
    A good example of saying something is F2P is Runescape, (first of all imma just say I hate the game, but the example works.) The free version allows you to do all the ESSENTIALs that members can do, such as talk, trade and even almost hit max level. What it dosnt allows you to do is get the full fun factor. You are not allowed in several regions on the map, content such as; more quest, mini-games and member only gear and skills.

I think WoW is still quite a long way before any1 can call it F2P, maybe after the last expansion... allowing people to hit 60. But I dont see anything like that happening any time soon, and hopefully the day never comes... 1 of the reasons I dont mind paying for WoW is so I dont have to deal with all the "Baddie" F2P people. Kinda like how when they made TF2 F2P... except that I enjoy blowing their brains out. :P
    Yeah, given the massive restrictions that come with it, it does stretch the comparison to F2P a lot. However each of the counterpoints raised exist in one F2P game or another. They all have their own method of gating the content behind cost. Having played a few F2P games, if this is Blizzard's F2P move (albeit a tentative one), it definitely is the most restrictive I've seen.

Deleted
    this method allows players to actualy get a talent tree and more than 1 point to spend in it.
    with the new talent tree's chosing a tree and using it is the beter part of the game.
    previously the trial was only to 10? and so you never saw or used the talent tree's and never experienced the proper customisation you could get from the tree's except at level 10 and by that time your trial was almsot over.
    woe betide if you wanted to try another class out you didn't have enough days.

some people are ranged some are melle some are casters some are physical. planet of things to try out and see which you like.

the new talent tree's and more fredome when chosing a race as to which class you could become makes this trial actualy a trial of the game and not just 2-3 hours to get to 10 then look at what our not allowed to tst out and see if you want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by h0lyshadow View Post
    Introducing "premium" content such as the cross-realms party feature - and who know what more in future - plus the continue add of purchasable items in store like new mounts, easily let us think that the way to F2P has been already taken.Can't imagine WoW not F2P with a new Blizz MMORPG like Titan.
    That's weird, I don't remember seeing anywhere that we're having to pay for cross realm party feature yet. I suppose you're probably a wizard and can see into the future. So unless you're a wizard, you're going off of nothing but pure speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik View Post
    What do you think you're doing?
    You only have the regular tinfoil hat. The Bunny Tinfoil Hat is an extra $13.95.

Free to play CAN work, but I don't really see Blizzard making it F2P.
    what free to model ever worked?

Deleted
    I really like DDO but WoW doesnt fit as freemium, it would suck.

Tho i would like to see in the future sub prices go down by 50% in a desperate action to stop losing players, if it would happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    That's weird, I don't remember seeing anywhere that we're having to pay for cross realm party feature yet. I suppose you're probably a wizard and can see into the future. So unless you're a wizard, you're going off of nothing but pure speculation.
    It was announced as a premium feature and when released, then confirmed that it is currently in a testing phase. There is other information if you choose to look for it but for now, check the last question on the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    what free to model ever worked?
    Which have failed? MMObomb (ironic name given discussion point I know) has plenty of info on F2P games out there if you wish to find out the answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by naturetauren View Post
    I really like DDO but WoW doesnt fit as freemium, it would suck.

Tho i would like to see in the future sub prices go down by 50% in a desperate action to stop losing players, if it would happen.
    I personally would prefer the sub method stay exactly how it is. If they all of a sudden dropped the prices by half that would be great, but knowing how businesses work I would then be worried about WoWs continued success.
    Last edited by mmoc150ef56254; 2011-07-19 at 12:23 PM.

As a vet of a lot of F2P games they usually start off without any type of cash shop for the first few months to a year. Many MMOs are finding that the F2P model makes more money then the sub based model because people spend more money when there is a cash shop. A person can make a healthy in-game business selling cash shop items to people for in-game money. That keeps people with more disposable income using the cash shop and people that do not want to use the cash shop can still get items from there by using in-game money. There are some good cash shop models and there are some bad ones ( like the ability to buy gear) but I really don't want to see WoW go F2P. The service on F2P games tend to be crap and that is why I don't play them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrrawrrawrr View Post
    "Finally"? I'd quit WoW right away if Blizzard adopted F2P. Fuck that shit.
    why? at this point it wouldn't make much difference.

Hilarious seeing everyone hating on the F2P model, even though its clearly where the entire industry is heading - whether you like it or not.

Give it a year, maybe two from now and you'll see almost NO games that have a competitive or otherwise online element with a monthly subscription cost.

Hate on it however much you want but it is the most logical way for payment system to advance to, and it will benefit both you (after you stop whining for 2 seconds, if that ever happens) and the developers.

I don't really see how changing the trial to allow people to explore the available (trial) content at their own pace means that WoW is going f2p...