Thread: SSD Promo...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

SSD Promo...

Intel 320 Series 80GB Solid State Hard Drive - 2.5" **Grand Prix Promo**
    Read Speed: 270MB/Sec, Write Speed: 90MB/Sec, Flash: MLC, Controller: Intel, Buffer: 0MB
    Order Code:

DEM-32080
    Intel
    11 in stock
    £99.98

Deleted
    The price is fair however, can't argue with that.

Edit: Wait, isn't the Intel 320 Series the "bugged"series? Apparently it has a crucial bug that sets it to 8 MB after a power-outage. Don't buy it.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-07-19 at 09:46 PM.

what is it ?
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is the same drive without the promo:

Intel 320 Series 80GB Solid State Hard Drive - 2.5" - 3.0 Gb/s
    Read Speed: 270MB/Sec, Write Speed: 90MB/Sec, Flash: MLC, Controller: Intel, Buffer: 0MB
    Order Code:
    Manf. Code:
    IL-32080
    SSDSA2CW080G3K5
    Intel
    1 in stock
    £109.99

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    90MB Write speed. Is that one of the first generation SSDs? Does it even have TRIM support?

The price is fair however, can't argue with that.
    Yeah it has TRIM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account

Simply confirms my view point that SSD's are much more risky than typical HDD's

The technology is new and it needs a few more years to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The technology is new and it needs a few more years to improve.
    not to mention drop in price, the cost per GB of storage is waaaaay too expensive for alot of people to justify the speed increase, not to mention even 80gb for a system drive is cutting it close for alot of people. Win7 + WoW is what 40gb on its own?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Westify View Post
    not to mention drop in price, the cost per GB of storage is waaaaay too expensive for alot of people to justify the speed increase, not to mention even 80gb for a system drive is cutting it close for alot of people. Win7 + WoW is what 40gb on its own?
    Under 500GB I wouldn't bother using it as a system drive.... Only for Intel's SRT. (SSD Caching) - ignoring of course the part where the largest drive currently supported by Intel's SRT is 64GB.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Under 500GB I wouldn't bother using it as a system drive.... Only for Intel's SRT. (SSD Caching) - ignoring of course the part where the largest drive currently supported by Intel's SRT is 64GB.
    Intel SRT only makes sense on small SSDs with less than 40 GB of capacity. There's a reason they don't support anything beyond 64 GB because at that point you might as well put your whole OS + Programs onto the SSDs. And that in turn is a lot better than simply using it for Caching.

And when people talk about getting one, nobody intends to replace their mechanical HDD with it. It's an additional drive mostly used to host the OS + your most commonly used Programs and games. That's where SSDs shine, not in the storage of infrequently used Media files.

So are SSDs overpriced? Yes they are, but considering you only need to get a 64-80GB model to gain the full benefits, it's not an unreasonable investment. But I too would love them to finally come down to 1 dollar /GB.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2011-07-19 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Intel SRT only makes sense on small SSDs with less than 40 GB of capacity. There's a reason they don't support anything beyond 64 GB because at that point you might as well put your whole OS + Programs onto the SSDs.

And when people talk about getting one, nobody intends to replace their mechanical HDD with it. It's an additional drive mostly used to host the OS + your most commonly used Programs and games. That's where SSDs shine, not in the storage of infrequently used Media files.
    Dunno about most people... but I sure know that I for one (and defiantly a few people I know..) would get increasingly agitated when certain parts of their system ran like lighting and other parts like a snail.

Listen to Crowe, he speaks the truth. Any one not wanting a good ssd for their os part are nuts, and dont know what they are talking about. The best ones at affordable prices like the Vortex 3 or Intel 510 have a read/write rate of 480 mb/s and upwards, which surpasses normal HDD speeds with rediculous amounts. So SSd for os programs and wow forinstance and then a 1-2 tb normal hdd for music & films etc.
    So if you can live with the speed you have today, just think how you'll do with something beign lightening fast!

Deleted
    Dunno about most people... but I sure know that I for one (and defiantly a few people I know..) would get increasingly agitated when certain parts of their system ran like lighting and other parts like a snail.
    You're looking at it from a wrong point-of-view. SSD aren't competing against hard-drives and thus can't bottle-neck them. Having two different drives is like having a shelf next to your computer desk. All the games and programs you need on a regular basis, your soft-drink, your favorite magazine etc. are all stored on the bottom shelf, easily within your arms reach. It takes you merely a second to grab them and you can stay seated at your PC for most of the time.

HDDs are like the top-shelf. Yes, it takes a little more effort to get the stuff from the top shelf and you'll have to get up from your desk on a regular basis. But that's where you keep all your movie collections and picture albums, and to be honest, you don't access them that often, so it's not a big deal.

/analogy

The thing is, your HDD isn't a bottle-neck when dealing with media files, the user normally is. However, the HDD is a bottle-neck when it comes to loading programs into your RAM, and that's where SSDs shine.

Yep, should just have all parts like a snail... lol! You're looking it this the wrong way. Adding an SSD does not slow the rest of your machine what so ever. It is simply an increase in speed when accessing stuff stored on the ssd. The rest of your storage will behave exactly as it does now.

The acticle i linked above is related to this specific drive ONLY (intel 320). The 320's bigger brother (intel 510) or cousins (vertex, ect) do not suffer from the same brick bug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Yep, should just have all parts like a snail... lol! You're looking it this the wrong way. Adding an SSD does not slow the rest of your machine what so ever. It is simply an increase in speed when accessing stuff stored on the ssd. The rest of your storage will behave exactly as it does now.

The acticle i linked above is related to this specific drive ONLY (intel 320). The 320's bigger brother (intel 510) or cousins (vertex, ect) do not suffer from the same brick bug.
    Seems actually the only manufactuer who hasn't reported a major problem recently is Kingston.... so I'll stick to my slow snail HDD's thanks....

And the point is when half the system runs fast the perception of the slower part is that much more prominent.

The SSDs aren't bought for the read/write speeds, they are bought because of the access times. High read/write speeds can be achieved easily with a few HDDs in RAID.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-19 at 10:02 PM.

And the point is when half the system runs fast the perception of the slower part is that much more prominent.
    Most ppl i know considering spending an extra $100-$200 on a purely optional performance increase are more concerned with ACTUAL measurable performance than thier personal perceptions.

Afaik intel is the only manufacturer to report issues with thier CURRENT generation of ssd. If YOU want to continue to carry forward dated bugs... then i guess im just wasting my breath.
    Last edited by openair; 2011-07-19 at 10:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Most ppl i know considering spending an extra $100-$200 on a purely optional performance increase are more concerned with ACTUAL measurable performance than thier personal perceptions.

Afaik intel is the only manufacturer to report issues with thier CURRENT generation of ssd. If YOU want to continue to carry forward dated bugs... then i guess im just wasting my breath.
    Dated bugs on hardware that is still be sold and advertised as new.

To be honest :P i'd rather wait for Synthaxx to upgrade his system again and beg him to sell me some of his "old" stuff ;-) Knowing that it actually works.

Retailers taking advantage of the uninformed is an ssd specific problem. not...