Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tank Getting Blamed, am i doing something wrong?

Howdy folks, so my guild has been trying to down Firelands bosses and failing, and i mostly see this as just a lack of gear, im one of the most geared in the guild ( only ilvl 360 ) and most of them are sitting near 350ish.

But for some reason, almost EVERY time we wipe, my raid leader calls me out and shouts at me, and most people back him up.
    I dont lose threat unless someone is an idiot and goes all out right @ the start, i have the best avoidance and health of my guild, and i count myself as a fairly good tank.
    Its gotten to the point where the guild just doesnt take me along to any raids anymore, i wanted to know if theres just something wrong with my gear, my talents, anything on my wowheroes.
    Not alot to go off i know, since you cant really watch me playing and tanking, but its all i can provide. Thanks for any ideas or support.
    ( Dunno if this is in the wrong Forum, if so, please move it, dont wanna get into any trouble )
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mshield/simple

what are you wiping from? enrage, standing in stupid stuff? soft enrage(beth stacks comes to mind)

I have a feeling there's something you're not telling us. If you're not losing threat and you're the best geared tank in your guild.. There shouldn't be a reason that you're not getting invited UNLESS you're wiping the raid by mechanics. I.E. not handling mechanics well, such as Shannox's Bleed Debuff. You haven't really given us anything to go on. What bosses are you doing? Why are you wiping? Are you dying due to lack of heals? I can't really tell you anything because I don't know what's going on...

Edit: Your spec and chants/gems/reforges seem fine for now. From what I've know (I don't have an 85 tanked, haven't tanked since Wrath) I though tanks were supposed to go STRAIGHT mastery? I don't know why you have a +208 parry gem in your head.. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Last edited by What Do Now; 2011-07-19 at 09:47 AM.

Deleted
    Well, firelands would req about 359 ilvl for everyone, so if you guild is around 350 ish, they should gear up some more

and i can't see anything wrong with you gear, although the charracter audit on wow website says missing one tinker, but i have no clue what that is

Deleted
    Couple of things I noticed:

Gems: you should swap a few of your hybrids for pure mastery namely the one in the belt buckle and your boots.
    Reforges: you have way more parry than dodge, it's adviced to have a parry dodge ratio of 1.2:1. a couple of things you could do: Swap cogwheel to dodge not parry, reforge to dodge not parry on your shield etc.
    Enchants: you have the outdated tank leg enchant, it's about another 55 dodge rating not that much if you're short on cash tho'. but your glove enchant is horrible you should swap it for the mastery one.

All I know to tell you from all 3 perspectives (tank, heal, dps) is to make sure you are popping cd's at the right time, etc. As a warrior you need to make sure to keep Shield Block up when needed, but try and keep it on CD. Keep Demo shout up, and make sure that you move the bosses accordingly to your strat.

If you are doing everything they are telling you, yet they are still yelling at you blaming you for wipes, then you aren't doing anything wrong...unless they themselves are wrong. Also, I think I read where the 358 cloak is better than the cloak you have on, due to the avoidance instead of hit.

Deleted
    Your raid leader may just be looking for someone to blame, to hide the fact they aren't getting any progression in order to stop people from leaving maybe. What specific fights are you wiping on, and what are you wiping from? It would be easier to judge if you could tell us

Deleted
    Ilvl 350 gear sounds very low for Firelands, that means your raiders are missing a lot of upgrades from Tier 11 raids and justice point gear.
    Nothing seems terribly wrong with your gear and spec, comparing it to my guild's two prot tanks. Judging your play would only be possible if we saw some logs, or atleast told us *why* you're wiping so often.

Deleted
    Maybe you guys should finish up BoT and BWD first before going to the Firelands, get some better gear, you may then see a change.

Deleted
    Well what exactly are you getting blamed for? Gear is a small percent of a tanks job.
    If you fail badly at mechanics, gettin out from stuff ofc you get blamed, tank or no-tank.

Deleted
    on your reforging you should be reforging hit/expertise into the mitigation/avoidance stats not reforging the other stat if possible, on your cloak for example.
    reputation with therazane really not exalted yet?

Note: mid way through writing this blizz wait into maintance mode so i can't see anymore.

are you using your raidwide last stand?

as said you want your parry./dodge ratings to be almsot equal, with no raid buffs or battle shout. after battle shout your parry will go up slightly but after your weapon procs windwalk they will be equal again.

your mirror of broken immages i hope your not using that on every fight as there are many better ones if magic damadge is low on that fight.

It sounds to me that your raid is just using you as the one to point the finger as. Furthermore, it sounds like you're the most geared of your guild as well, proving highly unlikely that you're the reason they're wiping. If you truly are playing to the best of your ability and they're too ignorant to acknowledge that, it might be time to leave that guild.

Is your guild suddenly killing stuff way more successfully without you? If yes, then maybe you should look at your own performance.
    If they're still struggling without you, then either the new tank is no better than you are, or it is a problem with the raid itself.

Also, when evening out your parry and dodge ratios, you want to make sure you even out the RATINGS, not the percentages. Due to diminishing returns on stacking, it's encouraged to keep the ratings within ~200 of each other.

It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

Deleted
    Your guild as a whole need better gear before hitting Firelands, and are pointing the finger of blame at you.

No more, no less.

@Wargrey: Tinker is Engineer stuff. Parachute/Rocketboost = not needed for raids.

@Grimmnir: The blizz site for your armory is down a.t.m. so can't look at your gear, but it sounds about right what Suntwat is saying.
    Do what the others are saying, tell us WHAT is wiping your raid (if not you). Are they doing better with out you, if not you are not the one holding them back? Is your guild leader just a prick and doesn't like you (in that case find another guild, hard to go up against the leader tbh).

What could be going wrong (assuming you have not downed anything since I can't open armory and you didn't mention a kill):
    If you are tanking Shannox is: You are not moving him out of traps so melee can dps him.
    If you are on Riplimb (more likely to fuck this up): You are not trapping him right before the spear is throwed and you (tanks) are not missing stacks. Rest is kind of a faceroll to that fight. (You should also NEVER end up in a trap).

If you are at Beth.
    I have not tanked her (upstairs) so what I guess you could mess up there is if you keep falling down. Be more careful.
    If you are down, ALL you need to worrie about is to kite drones away from spiderlings when dps nuke the spiderlings. You should never have 2 drones at the same time, if that happens you need more dps.
    Last pase (burn) you must run out of raid/tankswap when you get the debuff and wait for it to go to 10 stacks before re-entering raid.

Not sure if I'm forgetting something, but those two are normally the first bosses you go to and if you are trying out Ryolith, just tank the adds you are supposed to take (big ones out of raid and small ones where ever it's fitting) and DON'T STAND IN LAVA.

Hope this is something you were looking for, if not so be it!
    Last edited by Dyrving; 2011-07-19 at 10:53 AM.

90% of tanking is situational awareness and reaction time, and it's impossible to judge someone's ability in that regard from a forum post. There are a couple aspiring tanks in my guild that want to be main tanks; they know all the theory and are properly geared, but the bottom line is that they rarely get to tank because they don't have the situational awareness or reaction time required to deal with things when the **** hits the fan.

Requires a combat log to make a decision.

it is never the tanks fault.

Deleted
    What does your raid leader say exactly?
    Does he just point a finger or say what you did wrong?