[Movies] Super 8

The first 90% of the movie was fantastic. Gave me goosebumps a dozen times.

But the ending.... wtf are they thinking? Do they screen that movie and just get suck-ups to tell them how awesome they are? No one in their right mind would think that ending is good. I don't think I've ever seen anything more corny in my entire life.

Well, let me put it this way, 'Tron' was corny, too, but the entire movie was filled with horrible acting and cheesy love scenes... 'Super 8' was a serious suspense/sci-fi movie, and they just completely cheesed it up in the end.

----------[SPOILER ALERT]--------
    Parts I'm specifically referring to are things like:

--How the monster saved the 3 notable/important characters (girl, police chief, woman with the rolls in her hair) by hanging them upside-down so they were alive when the kids got to them
    --How the kid was able to "communicate" with the monster when he picked him up
    --The necklace scene where he lets it go as the spaceship is taking off
    --Why everything around the marines/kids was flying towards the water tower/spaceship yet they just stood their like a bunch of idiots
    --In general, the entire sequence of events which led to the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrymp View Post
    Well, let me put it this way, 'Tron' was corny, too, but the entire movie was filled with horrible acting and cheesy love scenes...
    Think I missed all those love scenes in Tron =/ Tron is a good movie, but it's not one of those "OMG MUST SEE IT AGAIN!" movies.

OT; Isn't always like that with some really good movies, having a really bad ending to it? Though I haven't seen Super 8 yet. But saw some trailers from it and Im really looking forward to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    really? J.J. Arbams made something that starts off really interesting and clever and gets progressivly worse as it goes on?

he's never done that before.....

when will people learn that dude is a freakin hack, and should not be trusted with a film rental shop, let alone film direction
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    when will people learn that dude is a freakin hack, and should not be trusted with a film rental shop, let alone film direction
    When he stops making great (and successful) movies and television shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    really? J.J. Arbams made something that starts off really interesting and clever and gets progressivly worse as it goes on?

he's never done that before.....

He just needs to find a really smart partner who will let him set everything up and then can workout a good ending to his movies.

I enjoyed he movie as a whole. I'll explain my take on it and why I think you took something away from the movie I just didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrymp View Post
    ----------[SPOILER ALERT]--------
    Parts I'm specifically referring to are things like:

--How the monster saved the 3 notable/important characters (girl, police chief, woman with the rolls in her hair) by hanging them upside-down so they were alive when the kids got to them
    The monster could read the thoughts of people it touched. My guess is that the monster overall was not inherently bad. It did what it needed to do to survive and escape. When it touched those 3 particular people it decided to not kill them as they had nothing to do with it's capture or imprisonment. Even though later as they tried to escape, it feared being caught and the hair curler lady and police chief died.

--How the kid was able to "communicate" with the monster when he picked him up
    Just like the good scientist driving the truck that wrecked the train said. They shared thoughts when they touched. The monster was still inside his head somewhat. When he touched the boy, he could see he meant no harm and that sometimes, bad things just happen. Like his mother dying. Something bad happened to the monster and someone was to blame but it was not him or anyone the monster saw in his thoughts. Sadly, it was too late for the police chief and the lady with curlers. After all, the monster couldn't afford to be caught again and the boy said something along the lines of, "now you can just go home."

the kids didn't communicate per se but the monster read and shared thoughts.

--The necklace scene where he lets it go as the spaceship is taking off
    Symbolism - It was time for all of them to let go of how his mother died. Not only the buy but his dad, the alcoholic guy and his daughter.

It was time to get over it and move on. Time to let it all go for various personal reasons. The necklace was that symbol as explained earlier in the movie as it was his mothers. The only one that didn't really know that was the drunk dad but the symbolism is still there.

--Why everything around the marines/kids was flying towards the water tower/spaceship yet they just stood their like a bunch of idiots
    This to me is a more personal take on what is happen. Either you liked it or didn't for whatever reason.

I took it as they were all kinda in amazement and just stood there watching a space craft form and leave. I can't say I wouldn't do the same but who knows at the moment.

--In general, the entire sequence of events which led to the credits.
    I'm in disagreement. I thought it was one of the best films of the summer so far. However, like you, those are just my opinions and reasoning's.
    Last edited by quras; 2011-07-20 at 07:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    it was an ok movie

it was like E.T. cloverfeild and the goonies had an orgy and this is what popped out.
    Originally Posted by statlerthegreat
    I don't play a real world simulator. I play World of Warcraft. Where I am a Goblin, named after an explosive, that hurls balls of arcane "fuck you up" at internet dragons/ogres/whateverthehellmaloriakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Desminn View Post
    it was like E.T. cloverfeild and the goonies had an orgy and this is what popped out.
    I would have taken out cloverfield and replaced it with Close Encounters of the Third Kind but to each his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was an allight movie, disappointed though... I thought it wouldve been more focused on the alien.
    Do you like Guacamole?

Deleted
    I liked the setting and the setup.

But the story and writing was just bleh and didn't pan out to be nearly as good as I had hoped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the ending...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    He just needs to find a really smart partner who will let him set everything up and then can workout a good ending to his movies.
    aye, my biggest problem with ALL of J.J's stuff is it's had a great premise, but a decidedly lackluster execution, he needs to team up with some brilliant director who has no imagination, that was JJ can get the ball rolling, and Mr X. can stop him from ruining it all with stupid endings.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

yeah it was just ok movie not so much good.

Deleted
    It wasn't terrible but I was disappointed.

Deleted
    It was interesting.