Thread: Leap of faith

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    Quick question about Lifegrip...do most of you use a mouseover macro for it, or just add it to your healing UI keybinds?
    I just have it bound to scrollwheel-down on my healing UI (Grid + Clique). I can see how it might be useful to have it as a mouseover macro, but, I've become adept enough at matching who needs it with their box in Grid that I don't really feel the need to change.

Personal preference, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti
    No, they (new-gen gamers) are happy. Never happier than when they are crying loudly about the injustices of voluntary forms of entertainment.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use it when the 80k health mage tries to take the flag in wsg

I was once saved by a quick LoF in BoT when one of those elementals before Val&Thal knocked me off of the stairs, that's the only time I've ever seen it used as anything other than an annoyance, although I can see a lot of situations where it might help (heroic Shannox, for example).

i get mad when i use heroic leap and a priest yanks me back

best use ive seen of "life grip" was when i was in a group and this dk thought it would be funny to pull a bunch of adds and leave (in fact he announced that he was going to do it because waiting for a tank was taking too long)... he ran in and the priest said "nope" and pulled him back lol... he still wiped most of the group except me and the rogue, but it was still hilarious
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Actually, I used it, to good effect, last night, on our Shannox regular...the Hunter was standing on a Crystal trap, intent on his Aimed Shot, and didn't see it. I just happened to be nearby, and I grabbed him, just in time...considering that he's the #1 dps in our group, I'd say it was a very useful spell, indeed!

Deleted
    Best griefing style I've found is to Mind Soothe a pack of mobs, walk as close as you can without getting agro, life grip an AFK person and then run away. When the Mind Sooth fades, they die.

But I very rarely grief with it. I mostly use it to hurry along slow tanks in 5mans.

I do like to keep in practice with LoF, I find if you don't use it occasionally, in a pinch, you'll forget where it is :P. ZG saving people from ghosts, pulling people to zanzil green pot, move a targeted melee to a chain stuff like that. There have been several situations it's helped in bot/bwd, tho I admidt, there aren't many opportunities to use in FL (countdown?).

Going back in BwL for some transmogrify stuff for my buddies. Warlock on his Priest alt gripped the Paladin in the Suppression room. Fun times.

Deleted
    This spell is more a blessing than it is a curse, in contrary to popular belief. It has uses for all sorts of stuff.

Jin'Do the Godbreaker. Someone about to get stomped and he's not standing next to a chain? Leap of Faith. Saves the day.

Valiona and Theralion. When the person who gets Blackout is the furthest away, just Leap of Faith him into the group and dispell it immedeatly after. Saves some time.

Someone getting targeted by Twilight Meteorite and he's not stacking up? Boom.

Someone not able to get out of the Deep Breath or Devouring Flames in time? Grip 'em out.

These are just to name a few. I know most of these things might sound like silly beginner's mistakes, but instead of crying and raging over it, you might try to fix it and make the best of it. Because you might end up saving the day.

Its an amazing tool used correctly. Best fight for it currently is probably heroic baleroc. A good priest will grip someone quickly if they get linked to them.

On beth, its great to grip the healer that is healing the bomb tank if a drone targets him.

On Alys its great if someone is trying to finish off an add before firestorm, or to let a tank finish a bird before he gets in to avoid cleaving the raid.

On Rhy it is limited, but can be used to get someone past lava lines.

On shannox, great for pulling someone beside a crystal trap with rage on them, or to help the rip tank get away from the spear faster.

On domo...well, maybe for the orbs it could be useful, but haven't had it used on domo before.

On rag it has oh so many uses, but the best is probably for longer meteor kiting or maybe if someone is about to fail to a lava wall.

Good priests find plenty of places to use it in PVE. If you haven't saw it used in PVE before you haven't played with a good priest.

Lifegrip is one of our most powerful spells atm. In RBG I use it pretty much on cooldown (e.g. someone is focused by melee/flagcarrier needs assistance/...). It takes some practice to get used to it so practice! For reaction training I propose lifegripping your mages in heroics after blink :-) I´m never abusing it in raids though. Once I got shouted on when I tried to save the MT in BWD (pretty low on live less then 10k) by lifegripping him into the group. He didn´t understand it was to avoid the next autohit of the boss... Stupid tank.

A great move in Warsong is lifegripping your endangered (5 stacks +) flagcarrier from the base to the roof - saved us two matches yesterday when the enemy needs about 40s to get in range again!

Deleted
    Grip is great. I mainly use it in PVE though and on good purposes. Though there are people that get mad at you if you do and then there are people that get mad at you if you don't

For example:
    HC25 Alyz - I see a holy pally standing in front of the new worm, being blasted into death any second now. I grip her. She gets mad at me, because she's now "disoriented and confused" and couldn't heal for 2-3 casts. I told her that she almost got herself killed in front a worm and dead heals don't heal, she told me she had everything under control. Yeah - no she didn't!

Also on HC25 Alyz we all run behind meteor for firestorm. Some guy feel it's needed to keep nuking (caster dps) the boss and yell me to grip him! My grip was on CD because I already gripped some other slowpoke who didn't feel like running

Also comes very handy on Ragna when people are slow or chased by the meteors etc.

Lifegrip became useful when people learned to use it for right purposes, except dragging their mates to death ... which we still do! 25man, 3-4 priests on AFK-break in Firelands. Drag the biggest AFKing jerk into the lava - jerk dies - hear the nerdrage on vent with a IRL trollface on X) when he gets back - "lol, u mad, bro?"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZommyZomby View Post
    This spell is more a blessing than it is a curse, in contrary to popular belief. It has uses for all sorts of stuff.

Jin'Do the Godbreaker. Someone about to get stomped and he's not standing next to a chain? Leap of Faith. Saves the day.

Valiona and Theralion. When the person who gets Blackout is the furthest away, just Leap of Faith him into the group and dispell it immedeatly after. Saves some time.

Someone getting targeted by Twilight Meteorite and he's not stacking up? Boom.

Someone not able to get out of the Deep Breath or Devouring Flames in time? Grip 'em out.

These are just to name a few. I know most of these things might sound like silly beginner's mistakes, but instead of crying and raging over it, you might try to fix it and make the best of it. Because you might end up saving the day.
    EXACTLY THIS ^^^^

My top defensive uses include all of these, as well as a few others:
    1. Ranged intent on getting their spellcast off and not getting under barrier on Jin'Do? Life Grip.
    2. Anybody standing in stuff. Especially nice for stuff like Defile on LK, which gets bigger the longer you stand in it.
    3. Overzealous DPS who don't notice shields have gone up on Omnomnomnomotron fight

My top uses, though, are these:
    Defensive: Pulling add tank/kiter on Nefarian to spare him a few shots, especially in phase 3
    Pulling flame kiter on Atramedes. As holy, I have speed shields, but it's nice to give them an instant 30 yard boost if flames are catching up.

Offensive: BEST USE OF LIFE GRIP EVER. Any BG where there is a flag carrier, I heal him because I rule at it. After the flag room, you generally find yourself in the mid with most of the other team zerging your carrier. More than likely, you dropped out of combat after you grabbed flag and killed defenders - mount up. Ride ahead of FC and, when they start to mob him, Life Grip him ahead 30 yards. As soon as you do that, hit him with a speed shield. Instant distance. (the reason you speed shield right after is so a DK doesn't yank him back. They'd have to do it in about .5 seconds to pull it off) The best part is, after you life grip and shield, that whole, clustered together mob will run in your direction. Inevitably, they will try to stun you and burn you down. Trinket that initial stun and drop a fear. BOOM. Free sailing for your FC as they scatter, even if you may not get away.

EDIT: Also works well to pull FC up on graveyard side, saving him a trip up the ramp or tunnel in WSG
    Last edited by Theotormon; 2011-09-08 at 04:13 PM.

Leap of faith is a good spell if used properly. The problem is that most people that use it, just screw around with it. It does serve a purpose (especially to save someone for stupid death - pug groups). It one of those spells to help when needed. Be mindful of the situation before you leap.

The coolest thing I ever did with it was on the two worms right before ragnaros. Our resto druid was slow to move out of the pillar thing and got launched in the air, I targeted her and gripped her back down before the worms punted her into the lava

I mostly use it to bring people that aren't properly stacked during Aoe healing phases, though.

Deleted
    It is good for creating space/gaps when a class cannot for any given reason, be it CD or class restriction.
    (Moving a player further away from an object that needs to be kited, or taken to a specific point is a good example, See Heroic Shannox)

loF is really imponant spell at hc raiding. In Bott at council hc, i think we would still progressing it without any grip to debuffed ppl at p1. And in raggy hc it can make transition phases add tankin lots of easier to tanks, when they get gripped to adds (our tanks stin apparations firstly). Plus, LoF saved lots of ppl when dc'ing or just keep failing

Deleted
    I find the key binding for this spell very important to choose. It needs to be accessible as you will generally be only using it occasionally but with little/no notice.

You don't want it in a place where it might get accidentally triggered though. I had it bound below my shield/fheal/gheal/heal keys for a while and whilst i've only accidentally triggered it once, it was on a tank during a boss fight which could have disastrous consequences.

I get slightly annoyed when i get pulled while tanking and Ive decided I want to go this way, example I was running out from the line of storms on Al'akir when i got gripped to the edge, didnt react fast enough and ran off the edge. Aslong as its communicated and preferebly facing me the same direction i was going when i got pulled.

One thing that annoys me thou is tanks that doesnt move but compleatly rely on priests to grip them around. We had a "new" tank on Alyzrazor yesterday and he wasnt moving towards the worms to feed the birds, he relied on the priest gripping him over there. which I think is kinda strange!

Sorrow is the price we pay for love. Love to Vervaine for the signature.

Deleted
    I use it to annoy people in battlegrounds like AB or battle for gilneas , you know when many of them rush for the first flag to cap and all use their tricks to get first, like warriors using their jump thing , mages blink , sprints etc . Whoever gets first i pull him back , and i don't even intend to cap the flag myself .

It's even better when someone even types while caping " Lol first! " or whatever else and then they get pulled away. Good times!

Other than that, i try and use it for actual good purposes like saving people and stuff.