Majordomo Staghelm Burning orb question

I was looking through my guilds WoL parse of our Staghelm kill last night and i noticed on the burning orb damage that 2 of the 4 players designated on orb duty were actually hit instead of getting the tics of the orb(burning orb damage is listed below). My question is; If you stand to close does the orb actually hit you? Is this just WoL screwing up the data? if you notice 2 of the orb players took the tics and no hits (these two players were on the same team trading on the same orb, while the other team took 8 hits collectively (these two players were on the same team as well)

Its not really a huge deal, we killed the boss and the damage done from the hits is crap. Just curious about what i'm seeing in the Parse.

(
    purposefully blacked out my guildes names, not trying to shame anyone here)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure that if you stand too close, it will still hit you, my guild killed him last night, and the damage was very much there.

You must be running with a Disc Priest or something, because the amount of Absorbs are pretty high. They show that alot of the damage was negated. I know that the more stacks that you get, the harder that hits, but It just looks like from this, that either you used alot of cooldowns on this, such as Barrier or Bubble spamming or you just executed it well. I don't know.

Another question would be this, How quickly did you switch people. I see 7 people in that list, we used 4. if you only let the damage counter get up to 2, and then switch... or even 3, the damage can be easily resisted and absorbed.

Deleted
    Never noticed this on our 25 man runs. Atleast i never took dmg if i stood close to it without debuff and without being targetted.

We switch at about 5-7 stacks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeleNC View Post
    Another question would be this, How quickly did you switch people. I see 7 people in that list, we used 4. if you only let the damage counter get up to 2, and then switch... or even 3, the damage can be easily resisted and absorbed.
    staghelm loved to throw his orbs in the furthest corners last night so the 3 you see at the bottom of the list were melee that got hit as are range was running over to get the orbs. we use 4 people on the orbs.

and yes we used a disc priest, also one of those players taking high tics and resists was me an arc mage (mage armor + mage ward = high high resists)

we let the first person take 6-7 stacks then they moved away and there other teammate would step in, as soon as the first persons debuff wore off we switched again. at the end we got a few bad pounces on my orb so I just iceblocked the final 10 secs of the orb and sat in the pounce puddle, soon as the orb disappeared I took off IB and blinked out.

Again i'm not worried about the damage just curious about the 8 hits for 5k each that 2 of the team members took.

Deleted
    I don't think these hits are important, they occur in many logs, e.g. random wol with burning orb hits

Its more a question how wol handles the damage ticks. They are not in fact ticks, like a dot. They are hits applied every 4 seconds on the target nearest to them and apply the debuff that increases their damage. If WoL finds several hits after each other it classifies them as ticks, if you browse the whole log, you only see hits.

EDIT: forgot to say the most important, these are not melee hits, but spell hits. Melee hits are labelled "melee" and have brown color.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...enannt2wd.jpg/

makes sense what you are saying, and how I originally thought the orbs were handled. What confused me is only 1 team got anything recorded in the hit section of what I posted (from the top of the list players 1 and 2 were on a team and players 3,4 on the other players 5,6,7 were incidental players getting popped while moving into position)

I agree there is nothing important about these hits they add up to a total of less then a 1/4 of a players HP. I was just trying to satisfy my own curiosity.

would there be a reason 1 team would have some recorded as hit some as ticks while the other teams only recorded ticks? just WoL discrepancy I guess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Therdin View Post
    would there be a reason 1 team would have some recorded as hit some as ticks while the other teams only recorded ticks? just WoL discrepancy I guess?
    Famous random number generated