Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    FPS: Team Fortress 2. Completely free, and not as hardcore as some other FPS's out there. I play it pretty casually, and I don't feel bad about that since I didn't put any money into getting it at all.

Single-Player: Borderlands - very fun FPS. Most FPS single-player games are kind of bad in my opinion, but I really liked this one. I like Fallout as well, but something about Borderlands is just better for me. I love the art style as well. Very unique.

Mass Effect - (1 and 2) My two favorite games of all time. ME2 is significantly better than ME1 gameplay-wise, but both have great storylines. I love these games to death, and the replay value is very high. The story itself can take a long time depending on how many of the side-missions you choose to do so you won't have to worry about it being too short. While I wouldn't call it a traditional RPG, if you enjoy RPGs you'll probably love these games.

Minecraft - More fun if you have a friend with a server, but singleplayer can still be very fun too. Not for everybody though. I know some people who really can't get into it simply because they lack the creativity or motivation to create anything for themselves, so it might not be your cup of tea. It's certainly worth a try though, and it's fairly cheap, so I'd recommend it.

Darksiders - Very great apocalypse game where you play as one of the Four Horsemen. The replay value isn't great, but the story is fantastic, and the gameplay is just awesome. And with the sequel coming out in the future (which also looks awesome), now would be a good time to try it and see if you want to buy the second one too. If you love beating the shit out of things with huge swords, this is a goodie.
    Last edited by Wynnyelle; 2011-07-19 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    Yeah, that's definitely possible. For me, WoW is mostly Tuesday BH, weekend valor grind, and 20 minutes of Molten Front dailes. Raiding is Wednesday for 4 hours, and that's it. You just find a casual guild that goes one night a week that fits your schedule, if you want. But you'll definitely get more for your money if you go to an RPG or online FPS.
    I prefer to play games where no one else is depending on me to be anywhere at any specific time. If I have to leave in the middle of a ladder game in SC II, so be it. I'm the only one hurt by it and my opponent isn't going to complain too much about a free win. I'm still having fun, facing challenging players for my skill level, and not paying $15 a month to do so. RPGs would be even better since you aren't really losing any progress if you have to get up in the middle of the game to take care of something. I just found it too difficult to commit my time to other people when I can't guarantee that I'll be there.

Good luck finding a replacement hobby chrisxnickel! There are a lot of really interesting/entertaining games out there, just have to find one (or a few) that fit your gaming interests. Oh, and my daughter loves when I play Rock Band for her, would probably enjoy it just as much if I actually knew how to play a real guitar

You might want to give League of Legends a go. Its a start and end type competitive game, new content is added all the time, and it is free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    I had 100x more fun playing borderlands than playing FO3
    Totally agree with u Borderlands is much better than Fallout 3.
    OP , League of legends is funny and free .
    Borderlands is a good idea too.

10+ Year Old Account
    play indie games there getting more and more popular and some are actually worth buying i dont reccomend terraria as its overflowing with hackers crackers griefers and people that just like to cheat or be morons its lost its fun factor way too quick

Deleted
    i know im probably sounding like a stuck record on this subject, but ddo is a great game to 'pick up and play'. it has a good community and because its based entirely around dungeon crawling theres always groups any time of day. you can just login, do a few dungeons and logout.

Wait for a couple months and get these games...

1. Gears 3
    2. Skyrim

A ton of suggestions on here that are rock solid.

Personally I loved all 4 play throughs of Borderlands.
    Darksiders is super fun for the price and you get about 20 hours out of it (think zelda + god of war).
    Minecraft if you like to build stuff (though there are player made adventure mods out now that are fun).
    Mass Effect series is win if you like space rpg.
    Team Fortress 2 is FP@ and is extremely fast paced and fun.
    Portal 1/2 if you want a great SP/MP story with tons of humor and enjoyment.

That should be months of time spent in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Loag View Post
    Wait for a couple months and get these games...

1. Gears 3
    2. Skyrim
    I never understood these responses in threads asking for a game to play right now. Obviously he came looking for something to do relatively soon, if not immediately. If he wanted to wait for particular games I doubt he would even ask for something to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisxnickel View Post
    Well guys, it happened. Real life caught up with me. With a wife and child I no longer have the time to commit to a strict raid schedule every week. What are some good games you guys have played that allow you to play casually but still enjoy the game. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    You should have specified what kind of games you wanted.

Shooter? Rpg? Strategy?

Deleted
    I'm currently playing:

GTA SA

Yep, I like it. Not the best graphics, but i still like the fact, that I can kill innocent people on the streets. And the missions aren't that bad either tbh.

Age of Empires 3

RTS (Real Time Strategy) game with some math & theorycrafting if you want to maximize your damage/economy. Quite nice to play online aswell

Counterstrike Source

Even though I prefer anything over FPS, it's a simple game to play with your buddies. I suck at it, got the worst score ever, but I'm entertained. I always grab the huge rambo-gun, simply because i like big things.

Team Fortress 2

FPS with a some differences. Different classes with different gameplay, and the fact, that you can change class whenever you want, gives you nice freedom to play what you prefer.